How to create a gap between clips in a big project?

CloudMonkey
CloudMonkey Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

How do I open up a gap between clips? Example: I have a long project of 20 clips edited together. Now I want to create a gap between clip #1 and clip #2 to insert something or play around with slow motion. How do I open up a blank gap so that everything later in the timeline moves to the right and extends the overall duration? I tried using the select tool to lasso all the clips #2 - #20 and move them to the right, but it won't open up a gap. When I let go of the mouse everything just snaps back.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,994 Just Starting Out

I'm not really sure what you're trying to describe, but if you want to insert a clip between two existing clips, here's how to do it:

Hold Shift while placing your clip, before dropping the clip, make sure that you see a red indicator line, otherwise you will crop the existing clips on the timeline. CTRL + Z to undo. :)

• CloudMonkey

Helpful, thanks. But what I was trying to do is change the playback speed of clip #1 to 50% but as the clip time duration increases x2, I want all the subsequent clips to slide to further down the timeline to make room for it.

Also, on a project that has 5 scenes, if I can create gaps between groups of 2-4 clips that form a scene, it makes it much easier to navigate around the project as 5 little bunches. I find the zoom either too cramped or too far apart. It's really hard to get it zoomed just right.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,205 Staff

Could you post a screenshot of your timeline please? You should be able to select everything and shift everything right.

• CloudMonkey

I've been experimenting and this is what I've found. If I have a project of 3 clips: #1, #2, #3.  If I change the speed of #2 to 50% but do not create extra time for it on the timeline, it gets truncated because it's twice the duration.  If I do not slide #3 to the right to give more time for #2 it's new full duration, #2 will be "locked" in the timeline. If I try to ripple move #2 + #3 together as a unit, it will fail and snap back to it's position. #2 will have a red outline around it when I try to move the selected units.  To "unlock" #2 and subsequent clips I have to eliminate any underlay of the new speed adjusted #2 hidden underneath #3. Then I can go back to regular editing.

Is that the way it's supposed to function?

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,205 Staff

Yes, I think this is how it's supposed to function. Try using the rate stretch tool, it might be more intuitive for you. It's the last tool on the left hand side of the timeline.