3D Composite

Bry_man
Bry_man Posts: 78 Just Starting Out*

hi, I really want to have a go at the swirl round the man, like in this hitfilm clip,

im using HF Express, and ive had a go using the blast but despite having the person in the middle of it, you can still see, in the clip above it claims you don't need to mask it so how do you do it then??

also I tried to use a 3d model from turbosquid and despite the files shown of a night club, its like a I had to build the thing up??? if I had downloaded a car would this have been the same?? or is it coz I cant use models on express???

ty in advance

Comments

• Bry_man

Hiya, which update do I need to purchase on top of my express so that I can install 3D models?

ty in advance

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,201 Power User

3D models, camera projection, particles and another sixty or so features of the software are Pro-Only. 

• thoyal
    thoyal Posts: 8

Hmm... I think you need to upgrade to Hitfilm Pro for 3D shots to work properly. 

• Triem23

For 3D models and the full 3D particle sim you need Hitfilm Pro. The video you showed of the light trail moving around the Jedi is a full particle sim wrapping around a 3D plane. You cannot do this in Express. 

3D compositing works in Express, but is limited to 2D media planes in 3D space. This is very powerful and still makes up the majority of 3D matte paintings. 

• Bry_man

oh ok thanks guys, what if i purhcased "mocha or boris" would that mean i can install 3d models? (as i notice they both mention 3d but not whether i can install the models from places like turbo squid)

also i heard (read) that pro has everything, does that mean boris mocha and all other things like the dolby update thats currently for sale??

thanks guys, so many questions i know :( sorry

• Bry_man

hummm ok looks like i need to start saving lol

• HIS__Films
    HIS__Films Posts: 530 Just Starting Out*

You can do the above swirl with the missile smoke that is in Express, right? I know with some masking ,of course, and by watching this tutorial might help!

• HIS__Films

You can always tweak the smoke so that it looks the way you want!

• Triem23
    edited May 2017

Bry_Man Mocha is 3D camera tracking and roto assist. Boris "3D Objects" has great text tools, but it's rendering "3D" looking images on 2D image planes. To import 3D models and use the full particle sim, you absolutley must buy Pro. If there had been other options, I wouldn't have mentioned them above. :-) I strive to give the most complete and accurate answers I can.

Hitfilm Pro comes with all features of all Hitfilm Express Add-Ons, as well as over 50 Pro only effects and features, including 3D model import, the full particle sim, Camera Projection, comp and media sizes up to 8K (if your GPU meets requirements), the ability to use third party plug-ins, the ability to install on three systems instead of one, and Hitfilm Ignite, which brings about 150 or so (depending on the host) Hitfilm effects into other software like Ae, Vegas, Avid, Final Cut, Motion, Resolve, etc.

This is a list I made a few month ago breaking down the differences between Hitfilm 4 Express and Pro 2017. It has not been updated for the Hitfilm Pro updates since then, which means there are a few more Pro-only features not currently listed.

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42297/differences-between-hitfilm-express-4-and-hitfilm-pro-2017-the-almost-complete-list#latest

Incidentally, you'll notice your two recent threads were merged. Please try to avoid making two threads that basically have the same question (In this case, "Can I add 3D models to Express?"). It's does clutter things up a bit, and this community really is excellent at answering user questions, and you did create a new thread to re-ask a question that had been answered already for you. Twice. :-)

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Posts: 995 Enthusiast
    edited May 2017

Seeing you only have Express, the only thing I know you could do is create that affect in Blender and then import it into HitFilm as an mp4 and blend into scene.

• Bry_man

ahh these are great reply's thankyou very much....

Triem23 ty also for your replies, i understand what your saying about the threads, in my mind they were seperate questions, as in how to do the man and swirl thing, and the other, how do i go about installing "3d models"... which has now been awsnered.... and yes so far i have found this forum most informative, so ty to  you and the others for helping :):)

• Bry_man

HIS__Films that link has helped a lot ty...

next question to everyone though, is; as the smoke goes up i would like to make the object disappear...  any thoughts??

ty in advance

• HIS__Films

That's  pretty simple if I know what you are talking about, in the control settings (for whatever object you want to disappear) click on transform, then you set a key frame on opacity (the circle by opacity) for when you want to start the disappearance (it should be on 100%) then go to the frame you want the disappearance to end and set the opacity to 0% (it automatically will make a key frame) I hope this helps!

• Bry_man

ty i just tried it and it does work but i need it to fade out upwards as the smoke goes up... i think it would look better

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,201 Expert

@Bry_man  Duplicate the layer with the fire effect on it. Place it under the effect layer.  I think, you could create an inverted mask with 0 opacity and then animate the size of the mask moving upward as the opacity increases playing with the feather settings inside and/or out to get the look you want and playing with the expansion setting too.  The mask should start to mask out the fire effect and show the original scene underneath.  I haven't tested this but just thinking about it I think this might work...but I most certainly could be totally wrong about it.

• Bry_man

ok I've just tried matey, and it doesn't have a mask option and when i try using the masking tool it comes up with a no entry symbol

• Triem23

@tddavis @Bry_man I think there was some confusion in the last couple of posts.

Hitfilm has a "Fire" effect, that is not included in the "stock/base" version of Hitfilm Express--it's part of the Destruction Add-On pack. This is a procedural fire generator using a layer as a "fuel source." Inscape Digital just did a tutorial on this effect on his Youtube Channel last week. A "Fire" layer can be masked.

Hitfilm has a "Bonfire" effect (also a "Fire Explosion"), which is (are) a simple particle system. This (These) is (are) included in stock Express, but cannot be masked, being a particle system.

• tddavis

@Triem23  Thanks for clearing up my fubar.  I didn't even realize that there were differences.  I was thinking more like the clip with the fire had been rendered out and using the original clip under it to replace the fire/smoke with clean plate.  I see now how my suggestion was all wrong for this instance.

• Bry_man

using your idea tddavis i tried something a little didifferent, i know its not great, but its a start i believe in the right direction.... and ty to his_films for the above how to as that helped also

• kevintroy
    kevintroy Posts: 1

One of the coolest effects I have seen in a movie was in Jurassic Park: The Lost World. The T-Rex comes into the camp at night and someone shines a flashlight onto the dinosaur tying the live action and animation together in the most real way I have ever seen.Can this be achieved in Hit Film? Also if I wanted to cast shadows of leaves onto a green Screened person and an animated object in a shot could this be done?

• tddavis

@Bry_man  Sometimes even a wrong answer can spark an idea I guess...:)  It's looking good just needs a little speed to smooth it out, I think.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,414 Enthusiast

Looks pretty good to me. :D

Only notes would be: have you tried it at a faster speed? And if you timed the deletion of the boy to fit the smoke so there were no holes in the boy, I think it would be spot on. Unless the holes are intentional. :)

And finally, either try and adjust the Matte to remove more of the greenscreen, or  use the Spill Removal tool to remove the green from the edges of the smoke.

• HIS__Films

Glad I can help :) keep up the good work! but it is not to bad for your first try!

• Bry_man

thanks guys, regarding the green screen, its a odd thing you should bring this up, its started with boy in front of the green screen, which then went to black so it matched the above clip, which was fine, but once i was finished i thought about putting him on stage or in the picture that i used, so i had to install a new layer and green screen again which is where it all went wrong, even the smoke imo looked even more less impressive..... but as i said it was a work in progress....so i hope to learn by this and iron out the wrinkles... but ty to you all :)