Exporting a single image with audio takes 3 hours?

Setzaroth
Setzaroth Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
edited March 2017 in Post-production techniques

So, I don't know what I'm missing here, but I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening. I recorded a google hangout, and am using the audio from it, and for the video, I simply have a single image stretched for the entire hour. There is a short intro (Pre-rendered) and outro (pre-rendered) and it's taking over 3 hours to export?

Note, changing the target and max bitrate does not make the time smaller

Why?

I'm using an Fx-8350 processor, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and a GTX 1070. 

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,137 Enthusiast

Exporting can be slow when encoding a AVC output file. It is certainly not 1:1 (real time). I am assuming you exported to MP4/AVC/H.264.

You are not exporting a single image. You are exporting a video. Multiple images.  With a static image and no keyframed effects and such each resulting video frame is the same as the previous. The file encoder is given one video frame after another to encode. In this case each video frame is unchanged. Changing the bitrate should not affect encoding speed. That primarily affects the resulting quality. With an unchanging video frame you can use a much lower bitrate than typical and still get high quality. This is because the AVC encoder will find 100% redundancy from frame to frame and can take advantage of that.

• Setzaroth
    edited March 2017

You're saying I should use AVC instead when I don't have actual video footage?

I don't see an option for that. I only see AVI, or H.264, or direct to YouTube

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,137 Enthusiast

I am not sure what you are asking. Can you re-phrase the question?

In the meantime, let me try and re-phrase. You said you were exporting a single image. Your assumption being that particular situation should somehow be faster than "normal" video. This is not true. Exporting a video is always multiple images. If the source is a single static image then that single image is just duplicated/copied/repeated for each frame of the resulting video. So exports always see/use many video frames regardless of if the source is a static image or a file from a video camera. Therefore, all else being equal, the export times should be approximately similar.

You did not state what type of export you used and I stated I assumed you were exporting MP4/H.264/AVC given your comment about bitrate settings and Hitfilm has few export options.

• Setzaroth
    edited March 2017

Yes, I'm using H.264

Also, why is the file size like 5x that of the source? Doesn't make any sense

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,595 Ambassador

If your "single image" is a screencap from the hangout, stretched with the speed effect or rate stretch tool then you are also doing resource intensive special effects.

Your output file is larger than you import file because of your export settings.

Since no one wants to type up export settings again, I refer you here.