3D

Is there a tutorial that explains how to animate a 3d model with an actual model to download and follow along with?  I'm using Hitfilm 4 Pro and I'm in the dark on how to work with 3d models.  I went to the tf3m site to download a 3d model but I haven't got a clue what to import into hitfilm.  Can someone point me in the right direction.

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited January 2016

These should help you get a grasp of things. It's not as difficult as you'd think. Use the force............ummmm........... I mean have fun!

https://hitfilm.com/video-tutorials#/working-with-3d-models

HF can take 3ds and obj model formats and one other but I can't remember it right now 'cause I mainly use the other two. You'll want to find models that have textures provided and the tuts should help you set those up. The aircraft tutorial has project files you can follow along with but any model will do as it's the same process.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,696 Ambassador

Lwo models @StormyKnight

In the playlist Stormy linked there's an "Importing 3D models" tutorial using a Blackhawk helicopter from tdftm. Check video descriptions. There may be model links. 

Many of those tutorials are Hitfilm 2. Procedures are the sane in HF4, but the interface is just a tad different. 

There isn't any in-depth tutorials on the new Cook-Torrance shader. If I remember which thread I wrote it in, I've done a fairly complete text walk through of those new options. 

• HitFilmer289932
    HitFilmer289932 Posts: 83 Enthusiast

Thanks for the link.  I'm just now watching the 3D import tutorial with the Blackhawk.  So far so good.   I don't even know what Cook-Tolerance is but will be happy to find out once I get the basics.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

@HitFilmer289932 - Your welcome. Hope it helps you out!

@Triem23 - Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't remember lwo off the top of my head. Probably not enough sleep from working on the theater vid. Oi!

• Triem23

@StormyKnight you've got a lot on your plate right now, buddy. Don't sweat the small stuff. If I didn't catch it, Aladdin, Norman, Stargazer or Axel would've.

Trooper 289-932 ;-) Cook-Torrance is a new set of material options for models in HF4, alongside those in the tutorial. Simon talks about it in the release video. 

• HitFilmer289932

Cook Tolerance explained.  A bit more in the future for me. 

I followed with the 3 D import tutorial with Simon so now how do you animate that helicopter?  I searched the Hitfilm tutorials and couldn't find anything that explained that.  

In the how to import 3D video when he dragged the 3d helicopter onto the timeline the 3D icon automatically appeared along with the camera.  That was Hifilm 2 Ultimate but when I imported in Hitfilm 4 I had to set the helicopter layer as being 3D and then I added the camera.   The icon indicating the layer is 3 D also changed in Hitfilm 4.   It seemed better in Hitfilm 2.

• Triem23

Doesn't Simon's tutorial cover setting up Animation groups and rotating the blades? That's the basic procedure for animating parts of models. In Hitfilm 3 and 4 Pro you also have the option of parenting animation groups to individual points. 

If you mean moving a model in 3d space you can either directly use the Transform controls for World Space in the model layer, or parent the model layer to a 3D point and animate the point. 

• HitFilmer289932

The tutorial just says that in the Group section of the 3D model you have to select the box of what you want to animate. 

In the tutorial the main rotor and the rear rotor were selected but how to animate them wasn't covered.  I could make the main rotor rotate under it's transform property but the actual blade didn't stay in a fixed position on top of the helicopter while it was rotating.  It was moving on and off the helicopter roof as it rotated.

Do you know of any tutorials that explain these things in depth?