Hitfilm Ultimate 2 vs Final Cut Pro vs something else.

uma
uma Website User Posts: 13
Hello, I build 3d geological models in Gocad and have made some fly throughs using basic very basic video editing software. I want to make the avi more interesting by adding animation - so I got Blender. Just bought an awesome Canon EOS 70D with external mic etc. I would like to combine animation and video and be able to edit and do visual effects. I am on a Windows platform. A lot of people seem to go for Final cut pro for video editing. Is it (and if so how/why) is it better than the latest Hitfilm Ultimate 2? A post from 2011 indicates they serve two separate purposes. Is this still the case? If HFU2 is primarily for VFX, what would be the best video editing package to get with it or can it do both jobs on its own? If I get in deeper should I be thinking of migrating to a Mac? Thx Ums

Comments

• HighStandardsArt
    HighStandardsArt Website User Posts: 7
    [quote name="uma" post="40507" timestamp="1395432579"]Hello, I build 3d geological models in Gocad and have made some fly throughs using basic very basic video editing software. I want to make the avi more interesting by adding animation - so I got Blender. Just bought an awesome Canon EOS 70D with external mic etc. I would like to combine animation and video and be able to edit and do visual effects. I am on a Windows platform. A lot of people seem to go for Final cut pro for video editing. Is it (and if so how/why) is it better than the latest Hitfilm Ultimate 2? A post from 2011 indicates they serve two separate purposes. Is this still the case? If HFU2 is primarily for VFX, what would be the best video editing package to get with it or can it do both jobs on its own? If I get in deeper should I be thinking of migrating to a Mac? Thx Ums[/quote]

Although HitFilm does have an editor, it is mainly a compositing software. I would recommend getting a dedicated editor along with HitFilm and Blender. (So you would model and texture your 3D object in Blender, export it as a .obj and open it in HitFilm, do your VFX shots in HitFilm, export the shots with VFX, and then pull the VFX shots into your editor with all your other shots. In the editor you color grade, piece all the clips together, and work on your audio. Final Cut Pro and Premiere are the two main editors and either one would be great. However, I think Vegas has integration with HitFilm, so that's also something to look into. Another one people like is Avid. I have Final Cut Pro X and I love it, but use a free trial first because you either will love it or hate it. Congrats on the 70D! I have a 60D and love it. Have you got CineStyle on it yet? http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle
    CineStyle will let you shoot flat, so you can have more control with color grading in post. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you can check the forums and Google. There's a lot of information online already about shooting in a flat profile.
    Also another thing to look at considering is Magic Lantern. It adds a ton of good features for video to your camera.
    http://www.magiclantern.fm/
    If you need me to explain something better, just ask!
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2014

To clarify: rendered video clips from HitFilm work fine in Sony Vegas. The HitFilm integration where you can have un-rendered HitFilm clips in Vegas doesn't work so great because un-rendered effects clips tend to need a beast of a computer to run in real time.  
    I use Vegas as my editor and HitFilm as my compositor. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,572 Ambassador
    To continue to clarify:
    HITFILM VS. NLE: As High Standards Art noted, Hitfilm is a compositor and effects program that happens to have editing features. Hitfilm's editing features, while not as advanced as a dedicated editor, are enough to get you through an entire edit. The only thing Hitfilm really and truly lacks as an editor is decent audio tools. However, Hitfilm has tools that make it easy to create visuals that are much more difficult, if not flat-out impossible to create in any NLE.
    Final Cut, Vegas, Avid, Premiere, etc are editing programs that happen to have some effects. However, for the nuts-and-bolts tasks of taking all your shots, putting them together in order and adding transitions, etc, any NLE will probably be easier to edit in than Hitfilm.
    VEGAS/HITFILM Integration: The Vegas/Hitfilm integration means that Vegas can load a Hitfilm Project as media--Vegas will attempt to treat anything on the EDITOR timeline of the Hitfilm project as a video clip.Hitfilm integration can slow Vegas to a crawl because both programs use different render engines, and, a Hitfilm cip in a Vegas timeline means that Vegas has to look to Hitfilm to render the clip. I haven't been getting "Hitfilm Server" crashes like Tooshka/Win, above, but I have had errors with Hitfilm-generated lens flares drifting out of position if the clip is loaded into Vegas. I also tend to render out clips from Hitfilm before importing into Vegas--on the other hand, with any OTHER NLE, you'd have to render your clips out from Hitfilm to import, so this isn't a disadvantage. Treating Hitfilm clips as media in Vegas can work pretty well if you're not doing a lot of 3D model or particle work.
    MAC vs PC If you're on PC, you cannot go to Final Cut without investing in an entirely new computer. Also, personally, I don't like working in Final Cut (I have to for work), but I won't go into too much detail here: Suffice it to say, over the last 15 years I've had to use Avid, Premiere, Final Cut, Vegas, and a few others. Of those, I use Vegas when I WANT to, and I use the others when I HAVE to. (Frankly, Final Cut only came into heavy use because it was a third of the price of Avid.)
    Since you're on PC, I'd recommend looking at Vegas or Premiere. Avid is very very expensive. Both Vegas and Premiere will run you several hundred dollars (about $600 for Vegas, about $800 for Premiere), but that's a lot cheaper than spending $500 on Final Cut, AND having to buy a new PC. Both programs have 30 day trials, so you can see which works better for you.
    If you go around on various forums you'll see varied "Macs are more stable than PC's" arguments. And this is semi-true. However, Both Macs and PCs use Intel CPUs (Some PC's and AMD) and both Macs and PC can have nVidia GPU's (Pc's might have an AMD GPU or another company's). The point is Macs and PC's are made from the exact same hardware components. The "added stability" of Macs is soley due to the fact that Apple is the only company that can make Macs, and Apple uses a limited hardware pool. This means Mac developers need to write drivers for a much smaller pool of CPU/GPU combinations. However, neither platform is inherently "better." Just different. Macs, however, do tend to be more expensive than PCs for the same power, and Mac accessories also tend to be more expensive than PC accessories (Last month I needed to purchase a Mac format drive to exchange files with a Mac client--the Seagate 2TB drive I bought "For Mac" was $150. The EXACT SAME DRIVE "For PC" was $119. Just saying....)
    Oh, last note: NAB is next week--that's probably when everyone makes the new announcements about new versions and upgrades. DON'T BUY ANYTHING THIS MONTH! You don't want to buy Sony Vegas pro 12 right now and find out Sony Vegas Pro 13 comes out in May. And usually hardware manufacturers release new models in April or May.
    I use Vegas as my editor of choice and Hitfilm as my FX/Compositor of choice. I use Avid, Premiere, Final Cut and After Effects only when I have to for work.
  • HighStandardsArt
    HighStandardsArt Website User Posts: 7
    I think you should stick with your PC unless your computer is slow and your thinking about getting a new one. And even then you could a more powerful PC for cheaper than a Mac. I switched to a Mac about a year ago thinking that I needed it to get serious for video. While I have ended up liking the switch because Macs natively support Canon's RAW file formats for photography, there isn't any advantage for video except for being able to buy Final Cut Pro. I am currently switching from Final Cut to Premiere because of Adobe's tight integration between there products; not because I don't like Final Cut. One thing to note about Premiere is that it is now part of Adobe CC (Creative Cloud). So you could buy an older version of it for about $800 as Triem23 stated, but if you get the CC version, you rent the software. The cool thing about Adobe CC is that you don't just get Premiere. You also get Photoshop, After Effects, and ect. Adobe CC also gives you really quick updates. I had forgotten that you are on a PC in my orginal response. I recommend Adobe Premiere CC unless you really hate the idea of renting software. I have never used Vegas, so I can't say anything about it. 
  • daveweinkauf
    daveweinkauf Website User Posts: 7
    I agree that the editor and sound tools in HitFilm are quite limited. I primarily use NewTek's Speed Edit because it's fast, user friendly, and powerful. I even prefer it over the free copy of Sony Vegas 12 Pro I got. I looked into HitFilm because I wanted an alternative to After Effects. I guess I'm old fashioned in wanting to own software rather than pay monthly fees for its use. HitFilm is a great piece of software but would be even better if it could incorporate more of the features found in NLEs like Speed Edit and Vegas. 
  • uma
    thanks everyone who replied... several months down the line... I am very happy with my hitfilm and have had no reason to change to final cut pro. also the pc is fine.
    given I am more interested in compositor and vfx applications hitfilm suits me more
    thanks again
    uma
  • uma

...it's taken me a while to read the posts as I have been busy with geological engineering modelling for SRK and also with a geophysics paper for the ASEG conference next year... my deadlines are almost sorted so i can pick up the camera again...(I also forgot my password and have been juggling other GIS projects)
     "could incorporate more of the features found in NLEs like Speed Edit and Vegas.  could incorporate more of the features found in NLEs like Speed Edit and Vegas. "
    what are these other features?

" Have you got CineStyle on it yet? http://www.technicol...vices/cinestyle

CineStyle will let you shoot flat, so you can have more control with color grading in post. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you can check the forums and Google. There's a lot of information online already about shooting in a flat profile. Also another thing to look at considering is Magic Lantern. It adds a ton of good features for video to your camera. http://www.magiclantern.fm/"
    thanks! I will look at these links. I bought the Canon 100 C cinematic camera friday :-) !! Black magic seems too much of a tonne. 
    thanks again everyone
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,572 Ambassador
    edited August 2014
    Other NLE features Hitfilm is missing? Just a few Vegas features Hitfilm doesn't have off the top of my head: Timeline markers, display of audio waveforms (HFU doesn't display audio in Composite shots), tools for multicam... If you overlap two clips on a Vegas timeline, Vegas assumes you want a crossfade/transition. In Hitfilm you need a Video A track, a Video B track and the transition plug-in. Vegas has "handles that make it easy to do fades in/out and set overall transparency or audio gain. Vegas can import and export a wider range of media, and properly deals with interlaced footage. Vegas's audio tools are superior, with time stretch, pitch shift, more FX, etc... Vegas has better 2D text tools, although stock Vegas lacks any kind of 3D Extrusion. But NewBlue Titler Pro is a cheap add-on that has some impressive abilities.
    And, of course, there's third-party plug-ins: Twixtor, Boris, NewBlue, Hitfilm and many others.
    Now, really, when assembling an edit, you're mostly taking footage and sticking shots in order. Most transitions are cuts, then dissolces. Building up composites and overlays is more VFX work, but some composites--think text overlays--are easier in Vegas, but, yes, Hitfilm CAN be used to completely edit a film.
    With the exception of overlapping media=transition (a behavior I think is unique to Vegas) pretty much everything I said applies to Avid, Premiere, Final Cut and every other NLE.
  • uma
    Hi,
    I am re-reading these posts as I am about to buy/rent: After Effects ( Adobe CC). I am still based on the PC and have just heard marvelous things about AE.

Sony Vegas Pro 13 - I read above, it seems people have different experiences. There are some integration issues on one hand, while I see it is also an editor of choice for some people.

Avid - why does it cost more? Nuke - how does it differ?
    thanks
    uma

• uma
    Awesome thanks! I''ll get AE and take it from there.
    Cheerio, uma
  • Triem23
    AE is awesome software, but remember, AE is a compositing/FX program, not an NLE. It's designed more for shot creation than sequence assembly. If you're gonna pay for one Abode CC program, you may as well bite the bullet for the "All Adobe" package. Premiere to edit, AE and Hitfilm for FX. Photoshop will be useful, and everything else is a bonus.
    Remember, you can still buy CS6. It's last year's revision, but it won't stop working when you stop paying.