Deus Ex Short Film

CranialFans
CranialFans Website User Posts: 92
Wowsers, i love this, some really great stuff here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2Rx8YlSWY
Thought i'd share it here :)

Comments

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,046 Ambassador
    This is great, thanks for posting.  :) 
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    Wow. That was neat- but I kind of feel like I came in on the middle of a story that already started.
    The FX were outstanding though.
  • CranialFans
    CranialFans Website User Posts: 92
     kind of feel like I came in on the middle of a story that already started.

yeah good point actually. I guess it's not as awesome if you haven't played the game and knew the characters :)

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    Indeed.  I've no idea what the game is, though I certainly recognize features of this short from the Deus Ex inspired short that Simon directed a few years back.  I was able to follow it pretty well up until the part where the one guy died, the he wasn't dead, and neither was the girl, and everything stopped making sense.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Very cool... impressive 3d integration.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Even having played and loved the game, I don't really have any idea what's going on in this. It has the characters from the game but doesn't seem to be directly tied into the game story.
    As with most fanfilms (I include my own Extraction Protocol in this statement), it has as much success as failure. The VFX are largely outstanding - I absolutely love the depiction of the augmented arms etc, and a lot of the combat is stylish and inventive. The robot at the end is very cool.
    Outside of the action the visual style doesn't quite take off and some of the costume and hair designs are entirely wacky, even beyond those in the game.
    Probably my biggest issue is the odd objectification of women, from Megan being naked for no apparent reason (other than getting YouTube hits) at the start to the lingering shots of Fedorova's tight trousers.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    @Simon that's the issue related to many movies.  I mean unnecessary sexualized shots were in this latest star trek. Remember the 90s batman movies?  why butt shots of the actors when they put on the suit? I saw a program last night with the actress Mindy from the TV show the Mindy Project. She was talking about wanting to direct and the various styles of directors. Some work on just their own projects like wes Anderson  some only work ooh others projects like J.J. Abrams and others do combinations. Well I think for filmmakers in general we create either homage to previous works actively or passively or a combination of the two. We as audiences either tend to like an homage based on which combination they go with.  The naked shot I think helped me establish that the guy was a creepy and added to why the girl cracked so easily.  that being said I've never played the source game so the story has the benefit of seeming more original and isn't conflicting with anything.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,572 Ambassador
    To quote "This is Spinal Tap:"

What's wrong with being sexy?

IST! SexIST!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Sexy is fine in the right context. :)
    In this case there was a lot of uncomfortable male gazing going on which felt like the camera being pervy rather than the bad guy. On top of this, Megan Reed is a largely empowered, intelligent character in the original game, so seeing her reduced to a bit of feeble, helpless titillation is a little depressing. Sure, she gets kidnapped in the original and you have to go rescue her, but contextually it's all very different and more respectful.