How to import 3D camera data from 3ds max?

mr_werns
mr_werns Website User Posts: 14
Hi there,
I'm trying to composite a rendered shot from 3ds max within Hitfilm2 and would like to add some particle- and lens-effects in post. While searching the web - including this forum - I unfortunately found no way to import the existing 3d camera movement- and lens-information from 3ds max into Hitfilm...
I know that you can import maya .ma-files and that the thing I'm trying with max here is in principle possible. But as long as 3ds max has no direct *.ma-export-function (you can only export an fbx-file, which than you can import in maya), is there any other way to get the camera-movement without matchmoving the rendered clip? I don't have maya and need the cam-import not only for one but for many other shots...
If anyone has a hint for me I would be very thankful!
Thanks in Advance!
werns

Comments

• Nate066
    Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to composite a rendered shot from 3ds max within Hitfilm2 and would like to add some particle- and lens-effects in post. While searching the web - including this forum - I unfortunately found no way to import the existing 3d camera movement- and lens-information from 3ds max into Hitfilm...
    I know that you can import maya .ma-files and that the thing I'm trying with max here is in principle possible. But as long as 3ds max has no direct *.ma-export-function (you can only export an fbx-file, which than you can import in maya), is there any other way to get the camera-movement without matchmoving the rendered clip? I don't have maya and need the cam-import not only for one but for many other shots...
    If anyone has a hint for me I would be very thankful!
    Thanks in Advance!
    werns

You would have to write a script to export it as a .hfcs

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,169 Expert
    This may help and it's assuming that .fbx files support animated cameras & point helpers...
    After effects= Null.     Blender=Empty.     HitFilm=Point.     3ds max=Point Helpers.
    1. Export camera & point helpers out of 3ds max in .fbx format.
    2. Import the .fbx file into Blender.
    3. Export the camera and empties out of Blender in . ma format or as a HitFilm composite shot.
    You'll need to install two scripts into Blender for the export to HitFilm.
    Here's a thread for the Blender to HitFilm composite shot export script.
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4602-updated-blender-hitfilm-script/?hl=%2Bblender+%2Bhitfilm#entry37088
    You'll need to contact this user http://hitfilm.com/profile/5477 for the .ma export script.
  • mr_werns
    Hi Nate066,
    thank you for your answer - I'll look into it ... unfortunately I'm not familiar with Scripting in max (or the .hfcs-format as well) ... but I'll give it a try and will report back.
    Werns
  • mr_werns

Hey spydurhank,
    cool! :o)
    Will try that first --- sound's easier than the max-script-way ;)
    I'll get back to you after testing.
    Thx
    Werns

• mark_e
    mark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    use the composite shot export I wrote from blender if you go that route the .ma files can import weirdly into hitfilm depending on camera angle and I fixed the lens calculation in the blender export script as well so it should all line up (hopefully!)  let me know how you get on, I can see numerous issues going that route mainly around recalculating the axis orientation and rotation around 3 times between programs but lets see what happens it might work!
  • mr_werns
    edited February 2014
    Hi spydurhank, hi mark_e,
    first of all: Thanks - I've got a step further :)
    The Export of the cam via fbx to blender works.
    The Script from you mark_e enabels me to get the cam-data to hitfilm, too.
    There are still two issues remaining, but I believe they're my fault...
    1.) The Animation of the Camera is not exported (already when I import the cam to blender)
    2.) Either the scale of my max-scene is to odd or there is another issue, but while I can switch to camera-view inside blender, I was not able to locate the imported camera as an object e.g. from top- or left-view ... The cam is listed in the object-list on the right side, but more than that I can't see...
    Unfortunately I hadn't much time yesterday to try some variations while exporting, but perhaps someone of you already experienced one of these troubles?
    Hopefully I can spend some time on figuring out the export/import today - I'll let you know if there is any progress.
    Best
    Werns
  • mr_werns
    Well,
    I've tried but was not able to export the Animation of the cam (or of any other test-object) via fbx ...
    When opening the fbx-file I can see the Key-Frame-Information is there... but inside Blender there are no Key-Frames anymore ... Is there a special option for importing or exporting the file, I'm not finding here?
    I was trying to add nebula and dust to a space-scene within Hitfilm - I realised that via prerendered layers in 3ds max ... It works, but as you can imagine it does not give me the freedom to edit the look and feel of the addings without the need of re-render the layer...
    Werns
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,169 Expert
    Do me a favor, can you upload your fbx file so we can take a look at it?
    What other file types does 3ds max export to?