ShellShock

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,089 Staff
    That car chase snapshot has gotten me very excited about seeing this. 
    If your short was anything to go on, then this will be great!
    No pressure ;)
  • TylerDarden
    TylerDarden Posts: 76 Enthusiast
    I am beyond excited for this!!!
    Are those bullets 3D? Hitfilm particle effect? Animated stock footage?! SHARE YOUR  SECRETS!

There are no secrets:
    https://vimeo.com/74116547

YES. Bring it on.
    Love the idea of that car shot, with the bullets flying past camera as the car moves. LOCKOUT was packed full of inventive shots, even though the story was quite a standard shootout. You always manage to add a fresh twist to the action genre.
    What kind of running time are you aiming for?

Again - thanks for your support, Simon!
    The planned timing of the film - about 20 minutes. It's pretty long for YouTube, but this time we have a really interesting story. So, I hope the audience will not get bored.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 294 Just Starting Out
    You are amazing.  Hats off to you!!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    I was going to take my hat off, but the awesomeness of that video already knocked it off.
    The main criticism of LOCKOUT seemed to be that there either wasn't enough story, or that it was a little confusing. So if you've addressed that element with the new film you could win a whole load of new fans.
  • KirstieT
    WOW. 
    W. O. W.
    I don't think I can say much more than that. Amazing technique.
  • TylerDarden
    Thank you everyone! But there really is not anything new. I'm sure I'm not the first who use this technique.
  • Really cool... 
    <Gripe> In reality, when shooting, the shells eject with such velocity that they would not come at the camera, they would be flung out of frame.  </Gripe>

But that would not make for awesome cinematography... So just ignore my gripe and keep up the great work.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,510 Ambassador
    @Tyler: no, you're not the first to use that technique (It's been done in particle illusion and After Effects), but you might be tge first to do it in. HITFILM, you passed the technique on to others (sharing knowledge is good), you did your mini tutorial very cleanly and clearly, AND I think that's the first Hitfilm tutorial that really makes the power of using an animated layer as a texture soutce. Animated textures have been mentioned before, but not really shown, and you showed them with style. And, you got a cool action movie shot as well. Good work and thanks.
  • Triem23
    One last observation. Hitfilm's particle system is much easier to set this kind of effect up in than Particle Illusion or After Effects. Variations on this technique are also useful for, say, adding debris to explosions.
  • TylerDarden
    Unfortunately, the production of the new short had to be suspended. Too hard for our level. Organize such a difficult shot without a budget was harder than we thought. But we not stop, because the script we all love, and we are confident that the result will be a breakthrough work.
    In the meantime, I received the first order for the official promotional video. So I can call myself a professional or sort of.))
    In my first job as a director I was again greatly helped Hitfilm. See for yourself:
    http://youtu.be/T-ZWzJqZrSc
  • Triem23
    Well, you certainly did a professional job!
  • Unfortunately, the production of the new short had to be suspended. Too hard for our level. Organize such a difficult shot without a budget was harder than we thought. But we not stop, because the script we all love, and we are confident that the result will be a breakthrough work.
    In the meantime, I received the first order for the official promotional video. So I can call myself a professional or sort of.))
    In my first job as a director I was again greatly helped Hitfilm. See for yourself:
    http://youtu.be/T-ZWzJqZrSc

That was amazing. Was that 100% HitFilm, even sound?

• SimonKJones
    Looks great, Arseny!
  • TylerDarden
    edited December 2013
    In spite of everything we're shooting a new project! Here's a teaser, I hope you enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVkylBfkmw
    PS. On Youtube there are English subtitles!

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Well, you got me wondering what it's about! ;) 
  • TylerDarden
    Well, you got me wondering what it's about! ;)

On YouTube must be English subtitles. Strange that I do not see them here. But trailers must intrigue the audience.))

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Watched again with the subtitles and now I'm more intrigued than ever!
  • Triem23
    Very Very VERY nice trailer! Looking forward to the finished film!
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    If this isn't awesome... I don't know what is. ;)
  • TylerDarden
    Thank you, guys! There is still a lot of work. I hope the film will be interesting))
  • KirstieT
    Watched again with the subtitles and now I'm more intrigued than ever!

I was the same as StormyKnight - it didn't occur to me the first time to put on subtitles - and I was still impressed!
    Now watching it with the text it brings a whole other level of intensity!
    Do you use the same environment on some of your projects? I would say that it is usually good to mix them up as your action scenes are quite similar, but you always manage to stop it from seeming "samey" by adding in things like - oh I don't know - someone attacking someone else with an unplugged television!
    Keep it up - can't wait to see the finished version.

• SimonKJones
    edited January 2014
    Aah, the old TV-to-the-face trick.
    A tight trailer, as always! Looking forward to the film.
    Have to say, I really enjoy seeing your regular company of actors. Each film feels like a little reunion.
  • TylerDarden
    KirstieT, thank you! But I do not quite understand what you mean by "environment".
    Simon, you are very generous to my work, as always.)) This "regular company of actors" - the only people who agree to act in my crazy movies. And do it for free.))
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT, thank you! But I do not quite understand what you mean by "environment".

No problem - I can remember writing this and scratching my head for the word. I think I still got it wrong!
    I meant location - do you use the same location for each shoot or is there an amazing abundance of awesome looking run down buildings where you live?

• TylerDarden

No problem - I can remember writing this and scratching my head for the word. I think I still got it wrong!
    I meant location - do you use the same location for each shoot or is there an amazing abundance of awesome looking run down buildings where you live?

Abandoned buildings are all similar to each other.)) Find different locations where you can shoot for free and not very far is hard. But until now, I make all my projects in different places. Except LaserTag commercial and upcoming Stalingrad - they filmed in the same place.

• PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    If you ever want to do a tutorial, my wife said that she can translate into english.
  • only a couple of things bugged me....some of the light flares were a bit much at times, no blood on the helmet after smashing the other guys skull with it, and the big soldier gets shot in the right shoulder, then in the next shot, no bullet hole, no blood....but overall....WOW.
    Freakin amazing job. 
  • TylerDarden
    Phil, I hope someday I'll have time for this!))
    LucidFrame, next time we will try to do less mistakes. But I'm glad that you liked the movie overall! Thank you!
  • FlauchersFinest
    FlauchersFinest Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    I've seen your work for the first time and it looks great!
    What I liked most:
    Lookout: The "Welcome"-sign on the wall just before the showdown begins.
    Stalingrad: The Max Payne style shooting and the "old TV-to-the-face trick".
    Good job!
  • TylerDarden
    FlauchersFinest, thank you!))