Null_Unit's VFX Thread

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 779 Just Starting Out
    I'm glad I watched the vid on the movie wall before I saw your comments here. Spoilers. I didn't know what to expect until the end. Great job!

Thanks!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,190 Power User
    Nicely composed shot! I would like to see some engine flare on the viper, but I like it a lot.
  • NullUnit
    Nicely composed shot! I would like to see some engine flare on the viper, but I like it a lot.

Thanks!
    I was trying to find footage on youtube of what the Viper engines do when they're not boosting. When they boost there is a huge jet of blue flame that comes out, but I can't remember what they do when they're flying at normal speed.

• Triem23
    The 1978 Vipers and Cylon Raiders both had practical lights in the engines. The Vipers are white, the Cylons are blue... Just youTube the opening title sequence--There's at least one shot of a Viper not at tubo oost in that.
    In fact--Right around 59 seconds there's a shot of a viper passing towards and over Galactica.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrd767Xzfk
  • Triem23

More Vipers not at turbo boost. First shot, and about 1:05
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L113_LeKx1Q

• Triem23
    Very nice. Great atmosphere and mood, and it didn't FEEL like a 20 second shot (if that makes semse.). I was drawn right in. Imho, this is one of your most effective shots.
  • NullUnit
  • NullUnit
    Very nice. Great atmosphere and mood, and it didn't FEEL like a 20 second shot (if that makes semse.). I was drawn right in. Imho, this is one of your most effective shots.

Thanks! It started out as a simple little shot and grew to be more complicated as it went. I've noticed that with certain models you really have to tweak the lighting to avoid getting weird artifacts. 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,617 Ambassador
    Nicely done!
    Slightly eerie, a tad familiar and a touch of wonderment.
  • NullUnit
  • NullUnit
    edited August 2013
    A VFX breakdown of The Temple. 
    I started with a lens flare on a 2d plane.
    Added a floor plane with Fractal Noise, Parallax and Blur.
    3d model of the "temple".
    3d Particle Simulator for floating dust behind the model.
    3d Particle Simulator for floating dust in the foreground.
    Adjusted the shape of the particle systems so they would not overlap. 
    Added 3d lights. One for the sun and one for the foreground.
    Added 2d video clip of person walking into the 3d space as a 3d plane.
    Light Rays added on grade layer to sun. Blend mode set to None.
    https://vimeo.com/73513740
  • NullUnit
    edited September 2013
    Influenced by Simons tutorial on plasma jets.
    https://vimeo.com/73557140
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,263 Staff
    Hey Null Unit - I'm really enjoying taking a look at the new projects you have been producing - they're of a really high standard. 
    I've added your VFX breakdown of 'The Temple' to the original post you put up on Facebook, just in case anyone is interested in viewing it.
    I also really like the fact you had a go at the plasma jets, inspired by Simon's tutorial. The only issue for me as a viewer would be the lighting issue. Obviously it's really difficult to achieve consistency between a 3D model and its surroundings, but the UFO just seemed a little light and contrasted to me compared to the misty scene below it. However, in general the plasma jets are awesome and I think you did a really great job. 
    Look forward to seeing your next clip!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    The UFO also needs desaturating a bit - the colours are far too bold compared to its surroundings, which makes it seem closer and clearer than it should be. 
  • NullUnit
    edited September 2013

Hey Null Unit - I'm really enjoying taking a look at the new projects you have been producing - they're of a really high standard. 
    I've added your VFX breakdown of 'The Temple' to the original post you put up on Facebook, just in case anyone is interested in viewing it.
    I also really like the fact you had a go at the plasma jets, inspired by Simon's tutorial. The only issue for me as a viewer would be the lighting issue. Obviously it's really difficult to achieve consistency between a 3D model and its surroundings, but the UFO just seemed a little light and contrasted to me compared to the misty scene below it. However, in general the plasma jets are awesome and I think you did a really great job. 
    Look forward to seeing your next clip!

Thanks! And thanks for posting it! 

• NullUnit
    The UFO also needs desaturating a bit - the colours are far too bold compared to its surroundings, which makes it seem closer and clearer than it should be. 

Updating now...

• NullUnit
    edited September 2013
    I desaturated the colors, upped the light wrap and the blur a bit on the UFO. I also adjusted the jet a bit. 
    https://vimeo.com/73557140
  • Joe Morgan
    Joe Morgan Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Looks Great. I wouldn't say the adjustment wasn't necessary. But the original looked awfully good.   
  • NullUnit
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    Ooh, that's very nice indeed. I like that you've managed to make it look like it wasn't created using atomic particles, which is an effect that is usually instantly recognisable. This looks far more membraneous (not sure that's a word...). Presumably the outer particle are done separately with the particle simulator?
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 521 Just Starting Out
  • NullUnit
    edited October 2013
    Ooh, that's very nice indeed. I like that you've managed to make it look like it wasn't created using atomic particles, which is an effect that is usually instantly recognisable. This looks far more membraneous (not sure that's a word...). Presumably the outer particle are done separately with the particle simulator?

Sorry for the slow reply, work has been insane. 
    Thanks! I keep thinking of it as a sort of "brain synapse" effect. Actually the whole effect is one atomic particle effect on one plane. I used the sphere setting in atomic particles to make it ball shaped, but (I think) the disperse adds the little floaty ones that go in and out of the sphere. Its hard to explain since, for me, there is a lot of voodoo involved in creating atomic particle effects. 

• NullUnit

I haven't created much lately, as work has been completely insane for the last month (and will continue to be insane for a while longer), but I wanted to make a Halloween clip, so here it is:
    https://vimeo.com/77103483

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,617 Ambassador
    edited October 2013
    And a Happy Halloween to you too, Null Unit. Nice spooky vid! :-? Someone hold my hand. lol
  • NullUnit
  • Triem23
    Halloween is my Xmas, Superbowl and Mardi Gras!
    Nice vid--like the models, like the camera movement, like the feeling of ambience and atmospheric depth from your clouds and fog.
    Lightning feels a bit too saturated to me, given the low saturation of the rest of the elements, but, heck! Happy Halloween to you, too!
  • NullUnit
    edited October 2013
    Halloween is my Xmas, Superbowl and Mardi Gras!
    Nice vid--like the models, like the camera movement, like the feeling of ambience and atmospheric depth from your clouds and fog.
    Lightning feels a bit too saturated to me, given the low saturation of the rest of the elements, but, heck! Happy Halloween to you, too!

Thanks! 
    Yeah, I noticed that the lightning was really unaffected by the color grading so thought about going back to the original comp to fix it, but I decided against it for time reasons. I also wish I had made the flickering lights in the church a bit more obvious. I want to do the Film Riot monster challenge, so I had to think of something that would be kind of quick and easy as well, to split my time. Happy Halloween!

• Triem23
    Sigh. I have a really good idea for Film Riot's Monster Challenge, but won't have time to do it.