[FEATURE] HitFilm for Linux OSes

ThankGodItsFriday
ThankGodItsFriday Posts: 25 Just Starting Out*
edited August 8 in HitFilm

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I know that there aren't a lot of good options for Linux when it comes to video editors. Here are some examples:

• LifeWire: OpenShot, Kdenlive, ShotCut, FlowBlade, VidCutter.
  • It's FOSS: The aforementioned, plus LightWorks, DaVinci Resolve, Blender, and Cinelerra.

Most of these are sub-standard, and the Hollywood-type ones are already lacking in features on other platforms, so they're bound to be the same way on Linux. Of these, I've tried OpenShot, ShotCut, Kdenlive, Blender, and LightWorks. Here are my results:

• OpenShot crashes. A lot.
  • ShotCut is buggy and also crashes quite a bit.
  • Kdenlive is very minimal, and not good for professional-grade videos.
  • Blender is waaaaaaaaaay too advanced to be used as a video editor.
  • LightWorks is very limiting unless you pay for it, which may not work well for those on a tight budget.

Of everything I have researched on and tried out personally, HitFilm has met my expectations quite well. I am pleasantly surprised at how capable it is, even on the Free tier. However, I am disappointed to learn that there is no Linux version yet. Linux has very good OS distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, Debian, Manjora, etc.), and I would like to see HitFilm support this platform for those who want a better video editor for their Linux OS of choice. Perhaps the staff could develop an executable Linux-based app that could run without the need to install, or at least support Debian-based platforms and work from there.

Just a suggestion. I had been using Ubuntu for many years before migration to only Windows, but even so I would like to see Linux be supported for whenever I decide to go back to using a Linux OS.

Comments