What happened to ultrawide support?

Sharp
Sharp Posts: 3 Just Starting Out

My PC recently broke and it ran a previous version of HitFilm, a lot of my videos use gameplay recorded in ultrawide 21:9 and as such, I had to work my project files around that aspect ratio to keep it from coming out with black bars. I moved back to my laptop and ported over the project and its files only to find my project has a watermark, I removed all the edits and clips and then saw the project settings had an upgrade button, so does that mean my project is now essentially down the drain?

I don't really require the premium features for my editing so why is the aspect ratio paywalled now? I have multiple projects that use this aspect ratio, why is something that was free now locked away?

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,294 Power User
    edited August 9

It's probably not Ultrawide support. What are your exact project dimensions? The new Hitfilm Free is limited to a maximum output of 1080 vertical pixels, which is a resolution of 2520x1080 at a 21:9 aspect ratio.

If your vertical resolution is over 1080, that's your issue.

Beat in mind you can contact Support and get the legacy 2021.3 installer for your new system. You'll have to go into your account settings here to deactivate your old machine to install the old version on your new computer.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,376 Expert

It's probably not Ultrawide support.

I think it is. Hitfilm Free appears to clamp height to 1080 and width to 1920. If either is above their limit you get the watermark for an unlicensed frame size. A 2520x1080 project gets a watermark in Free in my test.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,294 Power User

@NormanPCN fair enough. I hadn't done a direct test.

So, 1920x822.

• Sharp
    It's as norman says it gives a watermark going above the standard 1920 x 1080. I play on ultrawide which is 3440 x 1440 (21:9). I swapped back to the express version of hitfilm to continue work but it does bum me out that I can no longer stay updated, this change locks out people who play and edit their work on ultrawide footage, it sucks because being unable to post videos on sites like discord and youtube without ugly black bars taking up extra space is a real shame and anyone who watches my videos on ultrawide will get a way worse viewing experience due to having black bars stacking on top of black bars.
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,579 Ambassador

I know the Hitfilm team are looking to sort this issue out. Hopefully and update will make the limitation more flexible.

• Sharp
    I hope so, I do want to stay updated with the newer releases as I like the updated UI. I'll stick to express until then.