A bit frustration

Harold2022
Harold2022 Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
edited July 8 in HitFilm

I am new to hitfilm. I read many good things about this software, so I created an account and downloaded free software. To my surprise, it has an expiration date. I finally realized this is a demo version, not the express version. Fortunately I know some basic knowledge of the Windows. So uninstall the demo, and re-downloaded the express and installed the express version. Guess what? I can not activate it! Because my account is a demo version, not an express! Bingo! It can not be activated so I can not use the express.  Is there something wrong here? Why are there so many barriers for new users?

A very disappointed new user.

Tagged:

Answers

• JavertValbarr
    JavertValbarr Staff Posts: 372 Staff

There is no "expiration date" on any versions of the software, and there is no longer a demo version either, so I'm not sure what you downloaded.

This is the latest How To Download tutorial for HitFilm: https://youtu.be/3CxNu3ocUkY

• Harold2022
    Many thanks for your reply. Here is the story:

1 After searching and learning from internet, I downloaded Hitfilm and installed on July 7. Actually I used the same download page as you mentioned in your reply.
    2 Upon start the Hitfilm after installation, on the top right corner, there is an "Upgrade" instead of "Activation"
    3 By following the File -> Options -> Activation, I have the following screen:
    License to: my account
    License type: subscription
    License plan: free
    License: End: Aug 7, 2022
    Hardware ID: ......
    4 The output video has a big watermark "Hitfilm" in the middle of the video. No add-on used, just simply import a short video and then export.

From the web, there is an Hitfilm express for free, however I can not find the download link from your website. I do find a download link from reddit, but the watermark is still there.

I tried quite a few times to download, install and uninstall, always end with the same watermark.

By the way, in my account, under the product and plan, it says
    Free trial. Registered: 1st July 2022.
    hitfilm is activated on ****** (my laptop)
    Upgrade to the full version of HitFilm to unlock

I must have overlooked something. Please help.
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,615 Moderator

@Harold2022 the free version has a 1080p limit. If your project settings or export settings were set to anything above 1080p, you would get the watermark.

Additionally, there is currently an issue where setting your project settings or export for a vertical video might trigger the watermark. This has been reported to the devs and hopefully a fix will be out soon.

Are either of these the case for you?

• Harold2022
    Thanks for your reply. I am not sure which case for me. The video imported was by pixel 6 using 4k 30p. The export was youtube HD by default. So that's the limitation of the free version, I guess?
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,615 Moderator

Imported footage shouldn’t trigger it, unless you got the “Your footage is different from the project settings, do you want to change the project settings to match?” dialogue and hit Yes. I’m guessing that’s what happened.

I’ve asked the Staff to look into only restricting the Export, not the Project Settings. And this is definitely a pretty compelling reason.

@KirstieT just wanted you to see this… restricting the project settings can lead to a lot of frustration, like in this case. Enforcing the resolution limit only in the Export settings will dramatically improve ease of use, while being essentially the same in terms of limiting final quality. Thanks for your time! :)

• Harold2022
    That's great. It did ask “Your footage is different from the project settings, do you want to change the project settings to match?” dialogue and hit Yes. To my surprise, the setting has been changed to 4k 30p which is the original video clip. After switch it back to 1080p (from the editor panel), the watermark's gone. Thank you for your prompt reply and help.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,261 Staff

Thanks @triforcefx, I appreciate the tag and rest assured that these are all being looked at!

@Harold2022 so glad you had your issue sorted :)