How do I make the preview still play when the window is unfocused?

DanYami
DanYami Posts: 1

Constantly focusing only Hitfilm Express is interfering with my workflow for editing and doing stuff on the side and I'd like the preview to continue playing while I am sorting out things in another window

Answers

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Lord EarthPosts: 3,577 Ambassador

Hmmm sounds like a Feature request. Head over to that section of the forum and request it.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,288 Power User

@Andy001z effectively, it's the same as this existing request. Getting Hitfilm to not stop playback when any control is touched is a precursor to having Hitfilm continue playback when it's not the active application.

@DanYami currently, by default, Hitfilm closes active media files when it is not the "top" active program, although this can be turned off in File>Options.

Additionally, at the moment, it is a deliberate design choice to not allow Hitfilm to play back when it is not the active application - specifically because of potential use cases where a media file currently in use is moved, deleted or changed while in use, causing potential instability or crashing. Potential example - user is playing back Timeline in Hitfilm while editing an asset in a photo editor, but asset is in use on the same Timeline. Saving this asset from the photo editor during playback will fail because the asset is currently in use in Hitfilm. Windows Explorer should catch this and stop the operation, but it's still possible this save operation could potentially corrupt the asset and/or crash Hitfilm or the photo editor.

You can up vote the linked request above, or, if you create a new request thread I suggest something like "Allow Hitfilm to continue playback as background application" just to really separate it from the general "allow Hitfilm to play back while adjusting controls." We semi-regularly (ok, *I* semi-regularly, can't speak for anyone else) sweep the Feature requests and combine duplicate/redundant threads and found a couple today I need to merge in with the one linked here.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert

Additionally, at the moment, it is a deliberate design choice to not allow Hitfilm to play back when it is not the active application - specifically because of potential use cases where a media file currently in use is moved, deleted or changed while in use, causing potential instability or crashing. Potential example - user is playing back Timeline in Hitfilm while editing an asset in a photo editor, but asset is in use on the same Timeline. Saving this asset from the photo editor during playback will fail because the asset is currently in use in Hitfilm. Windows Explorer should catch this and stop the operation, but it's still possible this save operation could potentially corrupt the asset and/or crash Hitfilm or the photo editor.

Can't happen. If an app keeps a file open with a deny write access then any other app cannot alter the file in any way. Including deleting or moving the file. So it is pretty trivial for an app to protect access to, and keep exclusive access to a file, if that is what the app requires or simply desires.

Windows explorer is just an app like any other. It cannot catch and stop such operations. Unless you are thinking Explorer is the "operating system, file system". Which it is not. It is just a user mode browser application.

For example, historically, my most common mode of opening a file I was not going to alter was "read only, deny write". The deny write would stop anyone from messing with the file while I had it open. It would also stop me from opening the file if someone else already had full access rights to the file (and could thus change the file contents while I had it open).

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,288 Power User

@NormanPCN yup.

Repeating what I've been told by devs - and you've pointed out they're being overly paranoid before. 👍