Do bad accents in movies bother you or do you just not take much notice?

echida
echida Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

For me, they don’t bother me.

I’m Irish and if you’ve ever seen a movie where a non Irish actor tries to do an Irish accent, they can’t, well, they can but they’re always super exaggerated so I’m used of seeing movies where a character is Irish, is played by a non Irish actor and the Irish accent they attempt to do being exaggerated as ****, so bad accents just don’t bother me. It’s not just Irish accents but English accents, American accents, Australian accents, Spanish accents etc etc. None of them bother me and I can still enjoy a movie despite how bad an accent may be?

Comments

• Marshall2000_uk
    Marshall2000_uk Posts: 187 Enthusiast

Sometime it does. I've heard some terrible English accents in movies by American actors and some terrible American accents by British Actors and i've noticed it and its made me laugh pulling me out of the movie but I think most of the time its fine.

• StevenS
    StevenS Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*
    Depends on the tone of the movie! And your viewing approach. E.g. I watch Marvel movies as works of craftsmanship, rather than being totally immersed and bought into the story, so judging the accents is part of the fun. If it's a serious film, breaking the immersion is a bigger crime.
  • iamkhanproductions
    iamkhanproductions Posts: 508 Enthusiast
    edited May 23

This is why i don't speak in my videos.. Unless i really have to in a tutorial lol..

But for Irish accents, i think they pulled it of well in Boondock saints.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,609 Ambassador

It's gotta be really distractingly bad. Like British actors who sound like a bad John Wayne impersonation and say "I-DEE-er," instead of "idea."

• echida
    echida Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    For me, they don’t bother me.

I’m Irish and if you’ve ever seen a movie where a non Irish actor tries to do an Irish accent, they can’t, well, they can but they’re always super exaggerated so I’m used of seeing movies where a character is Irish, is played by a non Irish actor and the Irish accent they attempt to do being exaggerated as ****, so bad accents just don’t bother me. It’s not just Irish accents but English accents, American accents, Australian accents, Spanish accents etc etc. None of them bother me and I can still enjoy a movie despite how bad an accent may be https://showbox.tools/ https://speedtest.vet/?

I got this,......
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,204 Staff

Now I'm trying to think of the worst accent I've ever heard...

Lots of people talk about Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, but he created a whole new GENRE of accents, and as a kid who didn't know any better, I thought his accent was great.

I vaguely remember watching a show a few years ago where the fact that her accent wasn't the problem - but that she had about 10 of them and they all came out during different scenes. One scene she switched from Australian to posh British. I can't remember who it was for the life of me though!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,609 Ambassador

@philipwesson just noting that the profanity filters caught a proper name in @KirstieT 's post, above.

Guess Mr. Van Dyke is "Richard" 'round here. @Kircard

• KirstieT

Ha ha! RICHARD Van Dyke - sorry Vanilla! :)

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 535 Enthusiast

Ah yes.. Mary Poppins, Bert"oye duz wud oye likes, and oye likes wud oye do"

I grew up on those 30-50 yo Disneys, so I was raised on bad generic European accents, The first bad American accent attempt I Remember hearing was on the Jeeves and Wooster series (Laurie and Fry), there were some pretty horrible accents on that show, especially in the later seasons, but I listen to a lot of British read audiobooks now, so I've gotten used to them.

I do admit though, Listening to certain accents still makes my toes curl.

• KirstieT

@alaska_vfx_filmer my own, very well-to-do Queen's English accent makes my own toes curl sometimes! 😂

• Jinesh
    Jinesh Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Sometimes bad accent affects the vision of the particular movie but not all the time. Not noticing the accent in a movie is impossible as the whole movie depends upon the dialogues and the way it was pronounced.