Multiple GPUs?

brain_drill
brain_drill Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

Currently running an i7-2600 with a GTX 750ti. Have a second 750ti I can install, if Hitfilm Express will make use of it. Can it address multiple GPUs?

Thanks.

Comments

• littlehausbigcity
    littlehausbigcity Posts: 127 Enthusiast

Hate to break the news to you but if you use the most current version of Hitfilm, your computer is below spec. You need to run just for 2021.1, a 4th gen processor from 2013. Your processor is from 2011, Sandy Bridge. Your GPU is also out of date, for the most current version, you will need to run a 10XX from NVidia, otherwise you can utilize an earlier version up to 2021.1.

As for 2 graphics cards, can't answer that but am certain someone will be able to chime in with a definitive answer.

BTW, best to state what version you are running for Hitfilm as it'll help us all in the future with any issues you may have.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,189 Power User
    edited May 2

Hitfilm does not address multiple GPUs.

@littlehausbigcity is correct that you are severely under spec for Hitfilm 2021.3. Your CPU is under spec for all currently available versions of Hitfilm Express, your GPU is under spec for all versions of Hitfilm after 14.3.

Hitfilm Installers back to v8 can be downloaded here.

• brain_drill
    [{"insert":"At the bottom of the \"Home\" screen, when I open it, it says \"Version: 8.0.7627.7201\"\n"}]
  • Triem23

V8 your GPU is in spec, your CPU under spec, but... Since the GPU is more important to Hitfilm than the CPU often an under spec GPU will work with a decent enough GPU.

You're OK for HF8.

But Hitfilm still doesn't address multiple GPUs.

• littlehausbigcity

First off, it looks like you were fine with the CPU, but your GPU is slightly out of spec for even this version you are using as it is asking for the Geforce 790GT anyway. As Triem23 says, can't support 2 graphics cards anyway.

As he indicates, the current version will not work on your PC.

• brain_drill
    Thanks. I'm looking at a Ryzen 7 5700G or Ryzen 9 5900X as an upgrade. 5900X would get my 750ti.
  • littlehausbigcity
    edited May 2

To repeat, your GPU is out of spec, need a newer GPU, that GPU is from what, 2013. Even if you got the Ryzen 7 you mention, or the Ryzen 9, you will still need to upgrade your graphics card as you'd' still be out of spec for anything newer than 2021.1 graphics card wise.

• brain_drill
    Then I'll skip the GPU since the Ryzen I'd be looking at has it integrated.
  • littlehausbigcity

Just be aware that this graphics card that is part of the 5700 CPU is not going to be as good as a meager budget discrete graphics card of 2G from 2017, such as the NVIDIA GTX 1050 or the AMD RX560 discrete cards will provide. For games, it'll do, but not as well as the highest settings at 1080 resolution, and likely the same will be found with video editing at anything over 1080P.

I have my doubts about using the integrated graphics card, coming from experience in the past when many older computers used part of the main memory for the integrated graphics, and locks it in at a set memory, no matter how much memory you stuff in the PC.

To give you an example, I have, but not as my main PC an old eMachines PC that originally was my mother's that I brought home after her passing and repurposed it for media center of sorts and it's graphics card was locked in at 16MB, regardless of how much memory I could stuff in it (I think up to a G, max), still 16MB of memory. I was able to circumvent that by going with a discrete card, until it crapped out and had to go back to the integrated (on the MB) graphics card from Intel. Mind you, the eMachines was budget when new in 2005.

While you may be able to utilize HitFilm with this setup, I doubt it'll be all that satisfactory. Yes, I know prices for GPU's are crazy, but they ARE coming down to more reasonable levels now for halfway decent cards even as most now do at least 4GB of VRAM or more, which you'll need if you intend to do more than edit 1080 footage.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,798 Ambassador

Just to add to what @littlehausbigcity has nicely explained about integrated vs dedicated GPU's - Video editing is not the same thing as a game experience. There is a lot more going on under the hood that requires the CPU to decode (read) and encode (write) the video. The CPU and GPU work in tandem, so both need to be fairly beefy. And as also explained, the more VRAM you have on board the GPU the better off you are going to be when adding any kind of effects (glows, blurs, warps, etc). All that is taken care of by the GPU. If it is starving for VRAM then things obviously slow down.

Integrated GPU's on the other hand can (depending on the computer brand, mobo, etc) can steal system memory (regular RAM) to perform functions if is gasping for air. Needless to say, this slows things down too. What you want is a dedicated GPU card with plenty of VRAM for itself to use. Even though the minimum requirement listed here is 2 GB video memory, that is just enough to start the software. As mentioned above you need at least 4GB to do anything meaningful and that is just for 1080p. Recommend VRAM is 8GB.

• brain_drill
    i3-9100F.... I have a system with this in it that I am not using. I think, after reading your excellent feedback, I should spend money not on a new system, but on a new graphics card. What is the minimum recommended graphics card, in 2022, for doing 4k work in Hitfilm? Thank you!!!
  • littlehausbigcity

Go here if you are using the absolute latest version of HF. https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm-express Essentially no Core i3 or Ryzen 3 processors, but for older versions of Hitfilm from V6 to 11, here is the cut and paste of the specs (minimum).HitFilm 6 - 11

• Operating System: 64-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 10; OS X 10.11 El Capitan, MacOS 10.12 Sierra, or MacOS 10.13 High Sierra
    • Processor: Intel Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Intel Xeon (Nehalem) or AMD equivalent
    • RAM: 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended)
    • Graphics Processor: Graphics processor with at least 1 GB video memory.
    • 2GB or more video memory recommended for 4K UHD.
    • Earliest graphics cards HitFilm supports: NVIDIA GeForce 400 Series (2010) AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series (2010) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (GT2) (2012)

Hope this helps!

• brain_drill
    What is the latest version of the application that I can run with an i3-9100 and a GTX 1600-series card?
  • littlehausbigcity

The most current one will do so as the CPU is a 9th gen processor, and you only need the GTX 10XX or higher (2017, I think or newer) GPU looks to be OK I think as it came out in 2019.

The minimum specs I show above for the current version are the BARE MINIMUM to run this program on the most current version. Do you know how much memory it has? This series should do OK, as they come with 8GB of memory.

Not saying it'll be the end all, be all, but it'll get the job done and the RX 570 from AMD is a bit better, and less expensive. I'd say you should be OK spec wise with this combo, though I'd prefer the Core i5 but that's just me.

• Triem23

@littlehausbigcity note that HF 2021.3 now lists an i5 as min recommended CPU. 2021.2 added the Timeline Cache (and removed RAM preview) and really should have raised min specs. For @brain_drill I'd recommend 2021.1.

All HF Installers from v8 to 2021.3 can be found here.

• littlehausbigcity

@Triem23, That's true, forgot about that.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,616 Moderator

@Triem23 While it would be worthwhile to get more clarification from the Devs, I believe the minimum specs are inaccurate… I believe the “real” requirement is a Quad core or better Core or Ryzen CPU. As of 8th Gen Intel, Core i3s all have at least 4 cores (even on mobile, 8th gen and higher i3s have 2 physical cores with hyper-threading, creating 4 “virtual cores”) however, the 6th and 7th gen i3s were often only dual core. 8th gen i3s are essentially the same as their 6th and 7th gen i5 counterparts, which are in spec for HitFilm.

• Triem23

@triforcefx then I stand corrected! Which is good for @brain_drill.

• brain_drill
    GTX 1060 have any value, if I'm not necessarily needing to run the latest version? 6GB. Paired with a 9th Gen i3 and i7 CPU.
  • brain_drill
    Also, with apologies for keeping this old thread alive, literally the only effect I ever use is fade... I'm making simple videos, comps of various video clips stitched together. Nothing fancy, no special effects, and probably no intention of doing any of that any time soon.

At this very moment, I am exporting a 5-hour long video, for example, and my i7 is running semi-hot and at about 60%, and my GPU is not doing anything at all, according to CPU/GPU and temp monitors.
  • littlehausbigcity

Unless mistaken, most older versions of Hitfilm may be mostly relying on the CPU to operate. The newer revisions, HF, I think 15+ will use more of your GPU than they once did, but even then, the latest, 2021.3 can't even run the core i3, however.

For older revisions of HF, you can run the core i3 just fine, only up through 2021.2, however as far as I know.

• Triem23

@brain_drill the way the HF pipeline works is, in general, the CPU handles file I/O - reading from a drive, writing to a drive, maybe frame decode, depending on settings. CPU also does audio. GPU handles render and effects.

Sounds like whatever you're doing is simple enough where your GPU is being used little enough where most of what Hitfilm is doing is actually just reading and writing input/output frames. You might see a little more GPU engagement when hitting a fade, but if you've literally just having cuts/fades on video without effects processing, this doesn't sound abnormal. Knowing your exact system specs - especially CPU/GPU would help a bit, but I think your export is an "it is what it is" situation.

• brain_drill
    Exact system specs are I7-2600 and GTX-750.

An additional system that isn't yet running HF is an i3-9100 and a GTX-1050TI.

An i7-9700 is inbound, and I have access to a couple of fairly-priced GTX-1060s if that would help.

A 10700K is also available, should I need horsepower at that level.

Sounds like file i/o is huge.... My final videos are anywhere from 4-32GB in size, depending on length and resolution (I am working with some 4K from action cams and such).
  • brain_drill
    I might also add that I have 32GB RAM in the 2600 at the moment, and when HF is rendering overnight, I usually wake up to 100% RAM in use, with HF taking up 25-29GB in task manager. At that point, closing the app has no effect (doesn't disappear from task list) and I have to force-close it in task manager.

Would 64-96GB RAM be better? I'm probably experiencing the slowness of massively hitting the swapfile and just not being patient enough for it to close on its own.
  • Triem23

Bear in mind an Intel 2xxx is under spec for all versions of Hitfilm. An Nvidia 7xx is under spec for HF 2021.3. Current specs are and intel 6xxx or higher, Nvidia 10xx or higher. The fact Hitfilm is running at all shows how solid the software actually is. More RAM never hurts, but a CPU/GPU upgrade wouldn't go amiss.

• littlehausbigcity

First off, am surprised that you can do this much video on the present system. The GTX750 is I believe at end of life anyway, and as Triem23 pointed out, is under spec. I believe you may be able to get away with a version below 11, but can't say for certain. Currently, you need a 6th gen to run the latest version (Core i7, 6700) and you'd be better off with that and the GTX1050TI for minimum spec for ANY version from the current version or below, or your new incoming I think, 9700 with the GTX 1060s is your best bet. Ultimately, the GPU will be the one software that will hold you back somewhat, but in this case, it should work much better than the present system in many ways.

Also, I'd recommend you double check the max RAM your computer can handle as some may max out at 32GB. I'd prefer that your system be at minimum of a mini tower as they can hold up to 128G of RAM, as long as Windows 10 is the 64 bit version (11 only comes as a 64 bit OS). This way, you can go beyond 32GB's of memory if need be. This is because your videos are very long, and you will be pushing a lot of video through when it comes to exporting and this way, you can speed up the exports some.

Also, I'd also recommend you ditch any spinner (mechanical) hard drives for solid state drives for OS, to render files, and everything else, and if need be, a small SSD for the scratch disks, go internal if you can and for the OS, an NVME drive especially, the rest can run off the SATA connectors, or use externals, but SSD variants if need be, but do not use anything LESS than USB 3, preferably 3.2 if available or go Thunderbolt if you can (it's a bit faster still).

Sounds like you may need to study up on what's best for editing or you would not be asking so many questions in trying to understand why we are recommending what we are.

Good luck!