Can't edit Composite Shots

jonathanjmartin
jonathanjmartin Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
edited February 14 in HitFilm

Hello folks,

I'm a brand new user so apologies if this is pants-on-head-moronic.

I'm creating some text effects using composite shots. I need to make a small, medium, and large sized versions, so I make the large, name it, then save it from the media tab. Then I edit the still-open large size to medium, name it, and save it from the media tab. My plan was just to make the medium version, save it, then Undo my way back to my large version. Unfortunately Undo stopped working before I got back to my original large text animation. Oh well, I can just import the saved version and edit it to a small version.

When I import these projects I CANNOT EDIT THEM ANYMORE. They are totally locked in. The gear/settings icon is missing next to the title in the media tab. When I double click them they do not open up in the timeline.

I also CANNOT OPEN THEM as their own projects. When I double click the files from explorer, HitFilm opens, but just to the home screen. When I try to Open them from the file menu, I can't select any composite shots, only project files.

Do I have to remake these all from scratch? Is there a "Can't touch this" toggle somewhere I am missing?

Here's a screenshot, although it's hard to tell from a static image what's going on...

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,062 Ambassador

Well. I don't think you've "Saved Composite Shots," I believe you've "Published Templates" (cuz it's got the Template icon) these are similar, but different functions.

Published Templates are not edited by editing the underlying Composite Shot, but by dropping it on the Timeline, and opening the Layer Properties. Here the defined published parameters for the template can be altered. If you didn't define published attributes, then, yeah, there's nothing editable.

Saving a Composite Shot is part of the publishing process, but setting up the Published Template has more steps.

Review this video.

Also, you do not open Composite Shots by double-clicking HFCS files in the File Explorer or by using the Open PROJECT option. Comps are properly imported with the Import Composite Shot option by clicking the triangle icon by the Import button to open its drop-down menu.

• jonathanjmartin
    jonathanjmartin Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
  • berdwn
    berdwn Posts: 23 Just Starting Out*

@Triem23 I have a composite shot template from a couple of years ago. I don't know if you remember "Atomic Explode"? It was one I downloaded from a tutorial a couple years ago before I had even half a clue what I was doing (I didn't even know what a keyframe was). What I want to do now is unlock the template so I can edit some of the problem areas such as the bounding box for the text (there isn't enough room for the descender and the "g" I want to use gets cut off). It doesn't look like this is much of a problem as I can't find ANYTHING about it. My guess is there's nothing beyond rebuilding the entire sequence but I figured I'd ask. Maybe you or @FilmSensei knows of something? I appreciate your time, even if it's not possible. Thank you very much! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxSFVwvPiOE

• Triem23

@berdwn I haven't tried this yet, but you can import a template as a Composite Shot, so my guess is you'd reload your template as a Composite Shot, re-edit it (easier than rebuilding from scratch), then go through the steps of resaving and republishing as a new Template.

@FilmSensei @AxelWilkinson sound right?

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@berdwn The tutorial and project files you are referring to are literally out of HitFilm 2 Ultimate. Amazingly, the project files still work, but as you have alluded to, the text is a bit wonky now. This tutorial was made before "Templates" were introduced to HitFilm, so this is a Project File and not a Template. The Project File is not "locked," you just have to adjust the text. There are two ways to fix the problem.

1. Right click on the Text Layer and select "Convert to Point Text." Right now, the two Text Layers are Paragraph style. This tutorial was made way before those concepts were introduced in HitFilm.
    2. You can alway select the Text Tool and adjust the size of the Paragraph Text Bounding Box to suit your needs instead of converting it to Point Text.

I did a tutorial that was similar to this that was based on Majahr's tutorial that was base on this one from Axel.

Here is my tutorial...

And here is Majahr's tutorial...

I believe the project files for my tutorial are actually on the Inscape Digital Preset Marketplace.

• Triem23

@FilmSensei good spot, Jay. Since earlier issues in this thread were template related, I was dumb and didn't check the linked video. That was dumb of me.

@berdwn I think Sensei hit it. Text handling in Hitfilm got revamped, twice since that original tutorial was released, so, as Sensei notes you can convert between point/paragraph text, or adjust the bounding box.

For future reference, most older tutorials should still apply, but Text and Masks in particular got reworked in later versions of Hitfilm. If you do a search on Text Tools Hitfilm or Masking Tools Hitfilm go with the most recent you find. Those are most likely to be accurate.

Last changes to Text and Masking came in HF 16.0 - December 2020. For text a new and improved system of outlines (including multiple outlines) was added, for masks, the square/elliptical/shape mask selection was compressed to a single icon with a long press to switch between them. Otherwise, any text/masking tutorial in the last two years is accurate.

• berdwn

@Triem23 @FilmSensei @AxelWilkinson Thank you very much. I probably should have mentioned I'm using Pro 17, but yeah. I should have realized that some core systems would have changed to the point of breaking older projects. This one I was looking at is - I don't know what. It is in the hfcs container, but refuses to load as a composite shot and the only controls I have available are for changing the actual text in the text boxes. This video shows what I'm talking about, mostly (I don't have keystroke capture software - so whenever there's a pause I'm right clicking). https://youtu.be/CuH3XJvAA2Y

Anyway, I did some more poking around on my system and found the original composite shot. THAT one I have full control over. I don't know how this happened, I've been asleep since then. One day I'll have my head on straight. Thank you, again.

• FilmSensei

@DanWilkinson Double click on the Atomic Explode Composite Shot in the Media Bin to open up the comp. Then you can edit the layers in that comp directly.

• berdwn

@FilmSensei that file that I have on the screen doesn't do anything when I double click. It's not the original download, though. I don't know what it is. It's something I did back when I was fiddling around with it a couple of years ago.

I have the original file. It works normally.

• FilmSensei

@DanWilkinson

Double clicking on the Composite Shot in the Media Bin doesn't bring up the Composite Shot in a new tab on the Timeline?

• berdwn
  • Triem23
    edited October 7

@DanWilkinson @FilmSensei I can confirm the imported Composite Shot doesn't open up on the timeline when double clicking it.

It may be that changes to Hitfilm since Ultimate 2 are finally starting to break backwards compatibility.

Dan, you might want to contact Support directly on this one - you might've found a bug, or it just might be (again) breaking backwards compatibility.

Support will want your specs - CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and Storage - and the Google Drive link to the Comp Shot.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,095 Moderator

@Triem23 I just tried with a copy of Express 14 and got the same results as you and @FilmSensei 😕

• berdwn

@Triem23 @FilmSensei @tddavis I just want to stress that that file is NOT the original composite shot. I don't remember what I did to it or why it exists, but the original is still working fine. I will forward it to Support, with my system specs, in case there's a bug.