Why is my video playback lower quality in HF 17/2021.2? (Proxies)

BrandonReck
BrandonReck Posts: 18 Just Starting Out*
edited September 23 in HitFilm

After installing the new HitFilm update today, I noticed that the video playback is a lot lower resolution compared to when it is paused. The footage in my project file hasn't changed and my playback quality, paused resolution, and paused quality settings are still set to max in the viewer panel. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Best Answer

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    edited September 23 Accepted Answer

With the brand new Proxy/Cache settings you probably selected "For Performance" instead of "For Quality" the first time the box popped up.

"Performance" proxies will be lower resolution/quality than a "Quality" proxy.

The pop up has a "do not show again" box which you probably checked, so you've set a default behavior. To change this you'll need to go into the File Menu, select "Options" then the "Proxies and Pre-renders" tab. From here you can change default quality and set the folders where proxies are stored.

Right clicking an item in the Media Bin lets you rebuild proxies to either quality setting.

Right clicking media on the timeline lets you rebuild proxies to either quality setting or choose to use the original file.

Answers

• BrandonReck
    BrandonReck Posts: 18 Just Starting Out*

I see the problem. None of my footage even had a proxy on to begin with, even though I selected quality when I first loaded in. Issue resolved. Thank you!

• Triem23

Glad to help. I'm one of the Beta testers for FXhome and this came up in testing. It's always tricky to adjust when low level operations change after a decade. We also had a big debate on RAM preview vs proxies/cache, but the devs made it clear that both weren't feasible as the RAM preview would clash with the cache.

Takes some adjustment, but, in the long run the proxies and Timeline Cache are nice improvements. I know these features have been in development for over 18 months, and the devs worked hard on them. 👍

• Draega007
    Draega007 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Just curious what exactly does the proxies do? Which one should I consider using or do I need to even use them? Just started this editing journey 2 days ago and decided to use hitfilm and man do I wish I would've kept up to date with computer software. Almost everything is a foreign language to me.

• Triem23

@Draega007 Basically, a proxy file is a lower resolution/quality temp file used to speed up the editing process on slower machines. The proxy is used to maintain smoother playback at the cost of loss of detail. As a simple example, 3840x2160 UHD 4K has four times the pixel information as 1920x1080 footage. Editing with the 1920x1080 will be significantly faster since it contains only 1/4 of the data.

Proxies are not used on Export.

Briefly if you have footage which you know won't require heavy effects - and here I'm talking about masking, keying, and other tasks where seeing every detail of the clip is required - then proxies can speed up playback. In such cases smoother playback is more important when judging the timing of the edit.

For now, see what all three options do and DON'T check the "Do not show again" checkbox. Clicking that box makes whatever setting you apply the default behavior. You don't want to set a default until you know what you want the default to be!

There's more information on the manual, including how to re-render proxies to the other form (if required), how to disable proxies for certain clips (if desired), and how to customize the folders where they are stored.

Just type "proxy" in the search box at the top right.

Link to manual (Pro and Express use the same manual - just keep your eyes open for "Add On Required" and "Pro Exclusive" tags for differences between the programs.

• Draega007
    Draega007 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    [{"insert":{"mention":{"name":"Triem23","userID":8254}}},{"insert":" gotcha, thanks for the reply. Yea luckily I didn't check the box so it asks me everytime I start a new project. I'm trying out the higher performance proxie on the project I just started, hopefully it'll help with the stuttering after adding transitions that happened in my previous projects. \n"}]
  • HSS1982
    HSS1982 Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

Ughhh! Nothing but headaches with this one. It's slower than ever, it is crashing like crazy, and the video starts flashing off and on faster the farther into a project. I selected 8-bit which actually let me see the video finally, but it's still glitching. It's basically rendered the program unusable for now.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,292 Moderator

@HSS1982 Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU! Make sure to get them directly from the manufacturer website, as Windows Update and even the GPU software don't always get you the latest versions. This FAQ shows you exactly what you need to do:

• ScottReid
    ScottReid Posts: 145 Enthusiast
    edited September 25

Do we want Game Ready Drivers or Studio drivers?

• lennnyblevens
    lennnyblevens Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

Okay so if I am understanding this correctly. If I chose to make High Performance Proxies then the play back video thing I see will be very low quality and let me move around the video with less freezing and stuttering. BUT the exported video will not be that low quality? I am not using 10+ masks and 50+ keys or whatever just cutting and shorting an hour long video but starting at the being freezes then jumps forward. Along with moving forward in the video only to freeze and take a second to start playing, if I have HPP on then that wont be an issue correct? Exported video will be fine quality not what's represented in the Video Playback in HF right???

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

@lennnyblevens that is correct. A proxy stands in for the source media during editing, but when you export, the final frames are always rendered using the original source media for maximum quality. Rendering proxies of your footage allows for the best possible performance during the editing process, without impacting export quality.

• lennnyblevens
    @AxelWilkinson Ah thanks! Deff gonna use them then, thanks for telling!
  • lennnyblevens

@AxelWilkinson Wait do the Proxys carry over to composite shots? I noticed after making one stuff is now lagging. Like text taking a while to show up in the text box, on the editor scene I can't make it use performance Proxies but in the Composite Shot itself I can set different effects to use Proxies