2021 John Muir Trail through hike using Hit Film Express

mejbp
mejbp Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

This is only the 2nd time I've used Hit Film Express and I only used the basic tools. Which "add on" packs do you think would work best for my style of film/documentary?

https://youtu.be/7TsuffYwLL0

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,321 Ambassador

@mejbp Nice job with your video. Makes me want to go backpacking again!

As far as add-ons for Express that is hard to say. It just depends on what kinds of effects you want to add in. If you have something specific in mind let us know.

One note I would add though, you can bring some life to your still photos by animating the scale to do zoom in and outs (plus pan left/right) with just the keyframing capability in basic HFE. Just throwing that out there. But it adds more time to your edit.

There is a tool built into Express called Crop & Pan (under Video Clean-up in Effects) that can speed up moves on photos. It is a little clunky, but I sometimes use it when I don't fee like fiddling with keyframes. Apply that to a photo, highlight Crop & Pan in the Controls panel and then you get some tabs at the bottom of the Viewer window. Select Pan Zoom and you see two boxes. One red, one green. Green is the starting point. Use the mouse to drag out the scale of the box and position it. Move the slider in the editor to the end of the photo on the timeline and set the red box where you want the move to end up. Note that when you select the photo on the timeline or hit the space bar to playback the move, the tabs go away. To get them back you have to go back to Controls and highlight Crop & Pan again.

Hope that helps and let us know what kind of effects you are looking for. Cheers!

• mejbp
    mejbp Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

@Stargazer54 ...thanks for the suggestions. I know exactly what you are talking about with the stills so I'm going to try out what you suggested.