Audio in Composite shots

sharkythefrog
sharkythefrog Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out*

When editing a composite shot I like to lower the sound in one of the clips/layers but can only find the "Audio" area in the the layer where there it says 0 dB and its only possible to change to any other two digit number. Like there is no minus possibility, -130 dB to shut it off for example. Where do I find another option, as I can´t find it in the manual?

Answers

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,105 Ambassador

If you are in a Composite Shot, under the Controls Tab, you can check on Mute.

If you are on the Editor Timeline, you can toggle on and off the Audio.

Here is a tutorial I made on how to turn off the sound of a clip in HitFilm...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,941 Ambassador

Besides what @FilmSensei mentioned, there is also the "Channel Levels" audio effect.

• sharkythefrog

Hi guys,

The mute I found, the speaker symbol is ony visible in the editor, not inside a composite shot. The channel level does the same as the "Audio" function in the layer, which means that there is no way I can lover it-60 dB for example.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,941 Ambassador

Correct, there is no speaker icon in a Comp Shot. Refer back to FilmSensei's post, where he has a screen shot of the Mute toggle for the selected layer, which is in the Controls panel.

While Level/Channel Levels only go to - 60, remember you can stack effects. It's a bit clunky, but you can combine the Levels property with a Channel Levels effect to get -120dB, or stack two Channel Level effects to get to -120dB. 👍

While I'm thinking about it, I'll pop in a Feature Request to extend the range of those sliders to -100dB. 16-bit audio typically provides 96dB of dynamic range, so -100dB should be enough.

• Triem23
  • sharkythefrog

THanks Triem23,

Using the channel Audio is not an option as it concerns the whole composite shot as I understand it. I like to lower the sound in just a part of the comp shot (i e a layer) so it has to be connected to a layer.

Question, is it only 16 bit sound in hitfilm express?

A feature request seem like a good idea?

• Triem23

"Using the channel Audio is not an option as it concerns the whole composite shot as I understand it. I like to lower the sound in just a part of the comp shot (i e a layer) so it has to be connected to a layer."

Incorrect. The Audio>Level property affects the the individual clip, and the level can be keyframed. I refer you to the picture you uploaded in your original post. Click the circle next to "Audio" and it will change color. ANY and EVERYTHING you see in the Hitfilm Interface with that icon can be toggled and keyframe animated.

The Channel Level effect will apply to whatever clip you drag it on. Like the Audio>Level property, Channel Levels can be keyframed.

You have complete control over fades up and down of your audio in Composite Shots.

Hitfilm only uses 16-bit audio. Bear in mind the majority of Hitfilm users are uploading their video to YouTube, Vimeo or other streaming services, and those use 16-bit audio. The broadcast standards for video use 16-bit audio. Streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc all use 16-bit audio. While Blu-Rays can be encoded with 24-bit/192KHz audio, the Anime "Akira" is the only TV-show/movie ever released on Blu-Ray at 24-bit/192KHz. A few concert videos have been released as 24-bit/192KHz, but, pretty much everything video related is still 16-bit/48KHz. There is almost no need to master at 24-bit audio or at higher than 48KHz. If you truly need that level of audio fidelity, you should be mixing in a dedicated DAW.

I'm not certain what you're suggesting might make a good feature request, but you can more-or-less request anything you wish?

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,105 Ambassador

@sharkythefrog Just to be clear...

You said, "When editing a composite shot I like to lower the sound in one of the clips/layers but can only find the "Audio" area in the the layer..."

So I replied, "If you are in a Composite Shot, under the Controls Tab, you can check on Mute." (with a picture).

Then you replied, "The mute I found..."

If you already found it, next time you might want to include that little tidbit of information in the initial post so I don't waste my and your time suggesting it.

Also, you asked, "...there is no minus possibility, -130 dB to shut it [the audio] off for example. Where do I find another option, as I can´t find it in the manual?"

If you want to shut the sound off, that's Mute, feel free to use it!

I also threw in, "If you are on the Editor Timeline, you can toggle on and off the Audio."

...to which you responded, "the speaker symbol is ony [sic] visible in the editor"

No kidding.