Proper light with alpha channel

SnowYou
SnowYou Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*
Hi !

I'm trying to make some animations for events such as follow / subscribe, I need it to be transparent to let the background visible
The thing is, I'm trying to use some particles and lights, but after exporting it under AVI files, every light particles become a big white circle instead of a soft light, most particles have weird surrounding color artifacts and the soft gradient mask doesn't apply anymore

Do you know a way to export while still keeping the soft light and particles even with transparency ?

Thank you !
Snow.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador
    edited July 19 Accepted Answer

What are you doing with the video after - opening in Hitfilm, or a playback app like VLC?

Note VLC in particular doesn't correctly support transparent video, so your export might be correct, but your media player might be incorrect.

Bring the video back into Hitfilm, toss it into a Comp Shot and put something else under it to see if it looks right in Hitfilm.

If it DOESN'T, right click your transparent video in the Media Bin, look for Alpha, uncheck "From File," and toggle Straight/Premultiplied. If either looks correct, then 1) the file rendered correctly (and the issue was your media player) 2) you've learned the proper setting for later compositing. I assume you're rendering a transparent element for re-use in Hitfilm?

If neither works, we may have found a bug, or your GPU drivers need an update. Next time I'm on my PC I'll run a test myself.

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Cineform w/Alpha preset.

• SnowYou
    Sadly, the result is the same @Triem23 :'(
  • TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,030 Staff

@Triem23 +1 to your comment, I just came to say that I was dealing with transparent video for Twitch overlays recently, and in the default windows previews and player, the transparency was incorrectly handled, but was fine in OBS.

It may be worth checking if the video imports correctly back into HitFilm.

• SnowYou

@Triem23 , It works fine !

I'm sorry that I took your time for nothing in the end, I'll know now and will try to re-import inside Hitfilm to see if my export was fine and that I can watch it in a proper soft 🙏

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

Glad you got it working. Just wanting to throw this out there; if these "stingers" have no sound my default method for transparency is PNG or EXR sequences with alpha. Label the folder to be easy to find and store on a external for re import later for clean, loseless import. Can't always go that route, I understand.