Match video dimensions and position

electricfuse1
electricfuse1 Posts: 14 Just Starting Out*

Is there a way for me to match one videos dimensions and position to another video? I tried using the "paste attributes" feature but it only copies the position. If I have 2 different sized videos dimension wise, is there a way for me to automatically scale one so it can fit right on top of the second video? The only way I can think of accomplishing this would be just dragging the video on top of the other one and manually playing with the scale slider until they look like they match.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

"Paste Attributes" also copies over the Scale parameter from Clip A to Clip B, but, in your case the Scale parameter is set to 100% on both clips.

Auto-matching size? Depends. If you're trying to fill your Timeline all the way - let's say you have 1366x768 video in a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 Timeline and you want the 1366x768 video to fill the frame - then you can right click the clip and select a Scale>Fit to Frame option.

If you're trying to fit two non standard video sizes to each other (or two videos that don't fill frame) then simple division is your friend divide either the horizontal or vertical dimension of the clip you want to match to by the same dimension in the clip you're scaling and input the result into the Scale property of the layer.

So scaling a 1366x768 layer to match a 1280x720 layer. 768/720=1.06667 or 106.667%

Scaling a 1366x768 layer to match a 1920x1080 layer. 768/1080=0.7111 or 71.111%

• electricfuse1
    electricfuse1 Posts: 14 Just Starting Out*

Ok thanks. So there isn't a automatic way to match up video dimensions besides manually inputting scale values using division?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Or, as written above, you can automatically fit to Timeline dimensions, but if you don't want full screen then you'd be auto filling the frame with both media, parenting and re-scaling from there.

I have a meeting in an hour, but later tonight I'm going to write this up as a Feature Request, so, once I do I'll share the link and you can go Up vote it. 👍