Hitfilm crashes on import of 3D Model

squirreljasmin
squirreljasmin Website User Posts: 15 Just Starting Out*

Hi,

I am trying to import a 3D Model to Hitfilm, but everytime I try it just eats up hald my ram stays on half and just does nothing and freezes for ever.

The 3D Model is a bit large, but my PC should handle it easily (32gig ram, RTX 2080 Super, i9-9900k).

Any ideas on how to import the 3D Model without it crashing on preview (I can open the model with the windows 3d model viewer or blender without problem. They also just drain 2gig Rams and not 14gigs like Hitfilm).

The 3D model is a .fbx model with a 71,8MB File size (if that is of any help). I am also using Hitfilm express with purchased addon. So any tips/tricks or any ideas on how to fix it in general?

Edit: I cannot upload the model.

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,020 Moderator

@squirreljasmin Models from various sites can be problematic in how they are constructed, can you say where the model came from and the name of it? If it's a free one or isn't very expensive, I will give it try downloading and see it and seeing what I can suss out.

• squirreljasmin

@tddavis thank you for the offer, but that is sadly impossible, the model is nowhere online. It is more of a technical model made for production. It is also confidential, so there is no way I could have others test with it :/

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,268 Ambassador

@squirreljasmin You might try exporting from Blender as an obj file and see if that helps. It is also possible that the model contains geometry errors and could be causing the crash. HF is not very forgiving of that. Might be helpful to know where the model came from. Most objects you download from the internet - especially free ones - have errors because they have been translated multiple times to other formats.

• tddavis

@squirreljasmin Ah, totally understand that. I thought maybe it was a readily available one.

• squirreljasmin

@Stargazer54 I did have to convert the file from .stp to .glp to make it work (.fbx and .obj both crashed). So not sure if that is the reason :/

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,268 Ambassador

@squirreljasmin You might trying to break your model into smaller pieces and export those. Try one at a time and maybe you'll run into the offending area of the model. I don't know Blender well, but maybe there is a geometry check built in somewhere?

• squirreljasmin

@Stargazer54 yeah, I am currently trying to cut away an unimportant part from the model

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

Besides the geometry, what about textures? If you've created 8k or 16k textures those are eating huge amounts of memory. Reducing super large textures to 4k might help.

Express also has a couple of additional limits on bitmap sizes compared to Pro. Express might have more issues with higher than 4k textures. I'm totally speculating here - @spydurhank often works with 8k+ textures, but that's in Pro and, as I said, I think Express has more limitations on bitmap sizes.

Otherwise, if it's a propriety model, obviously you can't upload it, so checking your geometry is something you'll have to handle. OBS is a 1980's format, FBX about 2000, GITF 2010's GITF is probably more forgiving - especially since, as Stargazer said, Hitfilm isn't forgiving.

Frank (Spydurhank) is likely the leading expert on combing 3D and Hitfilm, and he builds models like a madman. He probably can think of specific things to check in your geometry. Frank also has a custom build of Blender he's optimized for Hitfilm integration (and tons of other custom enhancements). If Blender is your modeler you should go to omycgi.net and check out his custom build.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,151 Expert

@squirreljasmin,

Hi, I'm Frank.

I can tell already that there is not much wrong with your model.

If windows 10 viewer opens it up then that should tell you right away that the model is fine.

That it opens fine in Blender is also a given so the model itself is fine and nothing is actually wrong with it. Hitfilm just doesn't like certain types of fbx exports, especially if a normal map is involved soooooo,...

You're gonna have to export your model as a new .obj or you can re-export a new .fbx, if you really, really need to. But you just need to convert it from your current fbx type. Before re-exporting as fbx, unplug any normal maps if you have any. Normal maps on certain fbx types is what actually hangs up Hitfilm.

You can check out my site here owmycgi | Home if interested and feel free to ask me anything.

Anyway, just my experience here but I stay away from .fbx models because non of the actual mesh data imports properly into Hitfilm and it never has. The shading is always wrong and the common practice for users of that format is to change the smoothing angle in Hitfilm but doing this destroys any other Shading angles and Bevels on the model.

So yeah, if you can re-export then go ahead and do that, but if you have no choice as to the format then try simply exporting without the normal map if there is one.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

@spydurhank any opinions on OBJ vs GITF?

• tddavis

@Triem23 From an entirely subjective point of view as far as Hitfilm goes, I like the gLTF format far, far better than any model format. So much more hassle free importing, but then that has none of the technical expertise that Frank can bring to the subject.

• Triem23

@tddavis GITF is certainly easier to deal with in that the format does a better job of supporting material import (unlike OBJ which doesn't do well with things invented after it's definition - like normal maps), but seems harder to deal with for animation groups as GITF models all seem to be one poly group - but that's based entirely on how models come off Sketchfab.com, and I've never tried breaking a model into different poly groups in Blender and re-exporting as GITF. The observed behavior could be due to Sketchfab's auto conversion.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,151 Expert

You want my opinion or my experience? Because I have both. 😏

Professional preference and opinion. If you can't do it yourself, get a Preset from Sketchfab. Straight up. πŸ˜€

I don't need to do that because I really prefer to build my own 3D models, and the reason for that is because I don't cut corners... no need for me to ever cut corners because I use common sense building techniques that only real experience can give you.

I chose obj for the shear ease, versatility, and creative freedom over all the other formats. It falls within every pre-requisite that I personally need but this is from someone that don't cut corners and builds custom objects for Hitfilm and have been doing it for years. glitf has shading issues with models that are built weird and it shows. When you download a badly built Sketchfab model... you know right away. 😏 Same thing when you find a good one... you're like... thank god. And I say that because most people either ignore shading errors or simply don't see them. πŸ˜€

If you merely dabble then you're just gonna have to use gltf because duh... it's all like presets and made for ease of use I think. If you can't model... then boom, you can go to Sketchfab and look for something cool that may be close to what you're looking for. If you can't animate then you can also find something similar to what you need, Easy peasy. There's all kinds of sweet stuff on Sketchfab. πŸ˜€ Don't just download models and Comp them into whatever... open them up in a 3D app and just look at them... see how they were built.

Last resort for me is fbx and glitf... I'd keep this stuff in the background because of shading issues.

First in mind and I always use is obj. Because I can do anything with this format.

Beats em' all is stuff that comes out of Lightwave... hands down, the shading that I've seen from lightwave models used in Hitfilm are always on point. The shading looks the way it does in the Lightwave app which is just wowzers. 😲

Real artists thoughts...

It's up to you and your personal time budget. You're gonna have to use whatever is available to you in your current level of skillset. Do whatever you're trying to do and do it anyway that you can. πŸ˜€

• Stargazer54

@spydurhank Good to know about the normal map and fbx issue.

• spydurhank

No problem @Stargazer54,

I thought everyone knew about it. I e-mailed the Devs about it back in 2014 when I ran into this issue while on a job with Simon Jones back in the day.

• Triem23

@spydurhank thanks, Frank. Good info.

Funny thing with LWO (and this obviously depends on the model), sometimes you get a totally messed up build and the Hitfilm import is a mess, but, with a GOOD model, they always look amazing.

• spydurhank

Yeah, maybe that could be it too, I've never seen a bad Lightwave model example.

All the ones that I've seen were built with it seems, the thought that the model would be used in like, real life film production.

The models can be fractured, splintered, deformed with the given topology. I model all of my stuff with concepts in wireframe topology that I've seen in "good" Lightwave models, I just add my own stroke to the topology. Been lucky enough to not have run into a bad Lightwave model.

Nice and even topology is awesome to look at. I love symmetry. πŸ˜€

• Stargazer54

@Triem23 @spydurhank @squirreljasmin BTW, the OP said he had to convert from .stp (which I assume was where the original file came from). This is a mechanical drawing format for CAD. The incredible amount of detail needed for milling parts is way overkill for basic 3D animation in a video project.

I remember back in the day I was given a similar type of file to try to get into Lightwave and had to reduce the dataset considerably by reducing polygons enough just to be able to even rotate the wireframe. This happened to be a CAD file for an aircraft. I removed all the stuff inside that would not be needed for the final render, as well.

So Frank is right in saying there are probably no geometry problems with the model. My guess is lowering the resolution (number of polys) will solve the problem of getting it into HF.

• squirreljasmin

@Stargazer54 Sorry for the long wait for the response. I got everything working now. I really had to edit the model and add remove all the small unneeded details. I removed everything in the interior, etc. But alas I got it to finally work now. Thank you all so much for the help, I really appreciate all the suggestion I got.

• Stargazer54