Help with Magnify Effect/Mask

robinpedersen
robinpedersen Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
edited March 2 in HitFilm

Hello. I am using HitFilm Express. I want to make a magnify effect on top of a video. Thats easy, but I want the magnify effect to have a complex shape. I want a custom logo on top of a video where the logo it self magnifies or reflects whatever is on the video plane below.

I am somewhat proficient on photoshop, but this I am somewhat new to.

If i somehow can create a duplicate of the video plane and mask it to the logo, scale it up and have that layered on top of the original, that would create the same effect visually.

I'd love if someone can provide tutorials or a guide to read.

I'll add images that shows sort of what I want to make.

Tagged:

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador

This is tricky. The Magnify effect has limited shapes, so you'll need three layers to do what you want. The original video, a "Magnify" Layer and a "Matte" layer in the shape of the logo you want.

To make the Matte layer you'll create a plane layer and mask it to the shape of your logo (you can do this in a paint program if you're more comfortable with that). You'd convert the masked plane to a Composite Shot to "bake in" the transparency, or export the plane (soloed) as a PNG. Either way you want your logo shape on a transparent background.

In your main comp put two copies of the video in with your logo matte. The logo matte can be turned off - you won't need to see it.

On the top copy of the video add the Magnify effect. In the Position Properties choose "Use Layer" and select the Logo Matte.

Make the magnified area larger than the logo.

Add the "Set Matte" effect to the Magnify layer. Set the "Source Layer" to the Logo Matte, set "Matte Source" to Alpha and the "Blend" to subtract then check the Invert box.

This should crop the magnify to the shape of the logo matte.

• robinpedersen

I will try this when I have the time. Thanks in advance :)

• robinpedersen

I managed to make a test just how I wanted it. Thank You.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador

Glad to help! šŸ‘šŸ˜