'Flying layers' like papers blown off by the wind individually...how?

Setiawan
Setiawan Website User Posts: 31 Enthusiast

Hi... actually I was using VEGAS Effects rather than a HitFilm, but since they both are the same base... I guess no problem asking for similar workflow.

So, I was asked on one of the forthcoming project to have the ending effect of this group layer, will be separated like each paper 'blown-off' by the wind to random places.

So... I wonder if this kind of 'chaos'-motion effect can be done in HitFilm / VEGAS Effects.

Anyone know how?

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador
    edited September 2020

Hey, Set. More used to seeing you in the SoCal Vegas Users Group than here!

I have a couple of ideas starting to kick around. Couple of questions, first.

Is this a "video wall" of tons of video clips PnP or a single still frame, or what? All a single comp, or do you have things nested?

Are you trying to scatter in all directions, or is everything blowing in a single direction - say, off to the right?

My first two instincts point me towards the particle sim or the shatter effect. The particle sim answer is more dependant on how you've set up so far, so I'll skip to Shatter for now.

Shatter can take a "shatter map" to define where things break. This can be a still image. Prep something where each of your square frames is a different color where no square touches another square of the same color. You can try the Checker Box generator from Vegas to make a quick frame, but you might need more than two colors... But, if two colors is enough, Checker Box (or is it Checkerboard? I'm not on my computer to "check.") is gonna be the fastest way to make the map.

Ok, so the shatter map defines the shape. You can create a "Timing Map" to offset which pieces go first. Black and white, black shatters first, white shatters last. You could use a gradient for a wipe or a fractal noise for a more random scatter.

After that you'll want a low strength, but a fair amount of gravity. You can set a thin extrusion (1 or 2 pixels) add some rotation to get some tumble.

What's nice here is you can set the direction of the gravity on the XYZ axes, so you can dial in the direction you want things to fall... Like sideways... Just move the floor way off screen.

I think this is a pretty promising approach, and would be a lot easier than the particle sim, which would have a fiddly setup.

Older tutorials coming, but nothing in the filter has changed since then, and these are really good.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,809 Ambassador

Side note. I've changed the thread type to "question." When someone finds a method that works (maybe shatter will do it) you'll be able to click "Yes" to the "Did this answer the question" below all the posts. This will highlight the answer for the benefit of future users. Brand new function! As you can see the forum had a face-lift since your last visit. 😊

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 386 Enthusiast

Was thinking almost the same things. I would keep the extrusion low on the shatter effect to make it look more like paper. And maybe use atomic particles or maybe the wave effect to put in some wobble. But part of me also wants to attempt the most complicated series of single particle, particles systems ever.

• Triem23

@Dimipapa you don't need single particles. You could set up a system with a single Emitter and Particle System... But, as I said above it's a bit of a fiddly setup, so I'll want to see what Set says before I get into it.

Particle setup I have in mind is a bit of a pain to set up, but, once it's done it becomes mostly procedural. Once the embedded comps required are created simply dragging in new media will update the single sim.

• Setiawan

Hi Triem23, long time no see... how do you do? Hope you are always healthy and good 🙏.

Have been busy lately in Vegascreativesoftware forum actually...

As to picture attachment, they were made and arranged from many layers, short of P-n-P as to your terms (arranged in Vegas with standard event Pan & Crop tools), but as for the forthcoming one, I may have to see how I adapting to it... - so can change... the most important thing is find out first the most acceptable how to...

As to your question: Scatter to all directions.

Thanks for tips... I'll check it out and do short test first.

• Setiawan

Haven't watch the deep tutorials... but my quick test of the Shatter tool:

• Setiawan
    edited September 2020

Still a lot of challenges.... ShatterFX has limitation on the setting, and not every setting is keyframe-able...especially with strength, gravity, etc.

just how to 'expand' this now, still challenging.

Edit Add: trying another alternative:

• Dimipapa

Try adding atomic particles to make the square wabble and look more paper like, here is a setting that might do it. Adjust the wabble with displace strength and speed.

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 478 Enthusiast

@Setiawan Loved your tutorial on the Back to the Future title!

• Setiawan
    edited December 2020

Finally... after trying with many 'quick' tools, in the end, I have to go with 'manual way':

Thank you everyone who have given many ideas...

But one thing for sure, this project really pushes me on understanding the VEGAS Effects / HitFilm Compositing mode workflow.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,059 Ambassador

@Setiawan That looked really good!

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,004 Moderator
    edited December 2020

@Setiawan I agree with FilmSensei. Nicely turned out, and a lot of work that definitely shows. Sometimes you just got to brute force it manually sadly. Save your composite shot/project though, and you might be able to recycle it in the future.

• Dimipapa

Oh man that looked painful to do, not just the end but all the shifting beforehand. Nice work.