Hi and Purchase Advice

pao1os
pao1os Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out

Hello,

I have some limited experience with video editing for YouTube using DaVinci Resolve and Cyberlink Powerdirector which I currently have. I find the correction tools in Powerdirector very clunky and do not want to make an additional purchase for the colour grading add on. My laptop struggles to edit 4K with Resolve (though Powerdirector will work with 4k ok).

I would like to try HitFilm Express but would like advice on a few things:

Firstly my laptop, while quite powerful is also getting on, specs are: I7 quad core 2.5 Ghz, RAM 16Gb 1600 SODIMM DDR3, Dedicated NVidea GeForce GTX870M 6Gb RAM, Kingston 1Tb SSD (upgraded) running Windows 10. Will I be able to edit 4k with this spec using HitFilm?

Secondly, if not does HitFilm have a way of downgrading 4k files for editing like Resolve (albeit painfully slowly) does?

Lastly I would like to sharpen, adjust colour accurately (preferably with colour wheels), apply LUTs, create animated titles to overlay with moving shapes (masking?), I also like the sound of the VFX Lighting (but I am not sure that the laptop is powerful enough to work this). So which of "Starter", "Content Creator" or "VFX Artist" would you recommend I go for?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would like to get it right first time if possible.

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Website User Posts: 300 Enthusiast

I make my own 720p proxies using handbrake when dealing with 4k originals. I use the 720p resized to fit frame and when done I relink the media to the 4k and again resize to fit.

• pao1os

Sounds quite long winded, I take then HitFilm doesn’t have that functionality?

• EvilDaystar
    edited December 2020

It's not that bad actually, it dsounds worse than it is ... they used to do worse in the day before digital LOL.

As for HitFilm not having that capability ... I haven;t found it myself but that doesn;t mean it;s not there. :)

Also, fitting the 720p to a 4k frame is as simple as selecting the clips in the timeline, right click, transform, fit to frame oor fit to width or fit to height ... super simple.

Let's ask the experts. @Triem23 @FilmSensei ?

• pao1os

I found out that it does have proxy capability as the manual is helpfully provided online. Thanks anyway

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,702 Ambassador
    edited December 2020

@pao1os Prerendering is the way to go for sure! Otherwise, what @EvilDaystar is not actually as hard as you think it would be.

As far as wondering if if it will run on your computer, I would download the free version and play with it. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if it's going to work or not.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 928 Enthusiast

What codec is your footage in? If it's ProRes or DNxHD/R, you might be fine. I've worked with 8K Redcode (in Resolve and Scratch) on a machine comparable to yours, and my main workstation right now is an 8-core i9 system with an RTX 2060 GPU. I used that for 8K Redcode... which is easier on the disk than 4K ProRes, but a LOT harder on the CPU + GPU.

So... you might be fine, until you pile on the effects.

If your footage is in H.264 or HEVC you might have some difficulty though. Those codecs are brutal -- harder on the CPU+GPU than Redcode. For those you'd be better of transcoding to ProRes or DNx or Cineform anyway, but you wouldn't have any need to go back to the originals at the very end if you use those.

• EvilDaystar

Who is the Manuel you speak of. (Kidding)

I really should.look it up. I just did what I used to with other editors not thinking about HitFilm having proxies or pre rendering.

I'll look that up.

• pao1os

Codec out of my DJI gear is AVC/H264 (8 bit 4:2:0 high profile @ level 5) so that doesn't sound too promising.

• WhiteCranePhoto

I did a little bit of testing on my i9 system in HitFilm Pro 16 using 4K H.265 from my DJI Pocket 2, and it's quite workable on that... but your nVidia GTX 870 has nowhere near the hardware codec capabilities developed over the last four (now five) generations of GPUs. You'll probably have to either transcode your footage or upgrade your GPU (or both) to maximize your experience.😕

• EvilDaystar

The gtx 870 was a good card but its a bit long in the tooth. I have an i5 6600k, 32gb of ram and a gtx 970 and I preffer to edit with proxies when doing 4k.

I'm upgrading in a few months (this is also my gaming rig) to a new system with a rtx 3070 or 3080.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

The GK104 might support hardware decoding for H. 265 4:2:0. HitFilm Express is free, just try it and see if a H.265 MP4 4:2:0 plays back smoothly or not.

I did however find documentation on H. 264 hardware decoding but that might not be ideal in your workflow, but worth mentioning since H. 264 is still pretty good at up to 4k 60 fps.

Now as far as adding effects goes. Without the suggested 720 workflow above, youll grind your PC to a complete stop, its that underpowered. Hardware decode may alleviate it but yeah, only trying it will give you the answers to your questions.

Pre rendering 4k video is going to take hours, and making changes invalidates the pre render. However fantastic for completed shots, by using them as they were designed to be used - VFX heavy comps. Whats heavy? Depends on your PC specs...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast

@NormanPCN Might have something to add to this conversation

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast
    edited December 2020

From my reading, the 870M does support AVC/H.264 420 hardware decode. No HEVC.

The Nvidia GPU NVDEC support matrix actually does not go back to Kepler GPUs. Only back to Maxwell.

Will I be able to edit 4k with this spec using HitFilm?

...while quite powerful is also getting on...

I have always stated 4K editing requires a powerful PC. That laptop is not close to something I would call powerful. The CPU is not even 3Ghz. If the source media can be handled by the GPU hardware decoder then you can get away with less CPU.

I can only test what I have. I still have my same GTX 1080 but my old machine was a 4Ghz 4770k 4C/8T CPU and with UHD I can see one wanting more than 4 cores with things like Cineform/Prores media or any software decode. I have an old thread showing some performance tests on said setup. It all depends on what exactly you are doing. UHD intermediate media can cause I/O bandwidth issues depending on how much compositing you are doing.

--

Express is free. Always. Hitfilm Pro is free to try and test. Try some simple tests and see how it performs.

• pao1os

Well I went for it and predictably enough it struggles with 4K and even with 2.7K surprisingly which the other editors I’ve tried seem to handle ok. Shame really as I really like the interface better than everything else I’ve tried.

Looks like its back to PowerDirector for now. It amazes me how well that handles 4K when no other editor can seem to cope with it on my laptop.

I need a better spec it seems, nice tower with two monitors! Next issue is spec for that given it will have to be multi use, oh well 😉

• WhiteCranePhoto

You just hit on one of the reasons that I keep asking for professionally oriented features like AAF, raw codecs, ACES, and SDI I/O support... the interface :)

Plus it's a small company that listens to its users. HitFilm has some of the best keyers I've seen, and since I regularly work with Scratch and Mistika, that's saying something.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,153 Moderator

If I had to guess, PowerDirector is automatically building lower quality proxies in the background and using them all the way until render time. Being more “consumer grade” than “Pro” grade, they know that the customers they’re targeting care about speed over accuracy and “Pro” features. They also know that many users will want to use it on severely underpowered hardware (aka. The 13-year-old Walmart Special). Because of this, they do everything in their power to make it work out of the box with no speed frustrations for the user, which means an invisible proxy system is top priority.

HitFilm is somewhere between Pro and Consumer, but at the end of the day, they primarily compete with Adobe and DaVinci for the Pro market. Because of this, they haven’t yet developed a true proxy system, as they’ve spent the time on more Pro features to better compete with the other two.

I personally think that a true proxy system would be very beneficial to HitFilm, as it would enable underpowered users (of which there are many) to keep up with the users that can spend more money on on their setups.

There’s a wishlist thread about Proxies by yours truly. Be sure to upvote it and add your voice if you feel compelled!

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/53807/feature-proxies#latest