Filmer 3D for Hitfilm owmycgi.net : Design and VFX.

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,915 Ambassador

Aaaand another quick test with Filmer and Hitfilm Pro 16 BETA's new shaders. The shaders are dope yo!!!

Hurry up December. :)

https://youtu.be/0MCKPVWYx3Q

• CourtneyPCourtneyP Website User Posts: 42 Just Starting Out
  • FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,549 Ambassador

@spydurhank These pictures and the associated videos are stunningly beautiful. Really nice work!

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,355 Moderator

Looking great!

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 359 Staff
    edited November 2020

@spydurhank Hey buddy, obviously I love the stuff you've been working on with Filmer, but I believe you're under the wrong impression when it comes to the script I quickly put together a while back.

I didn't knowingly use any of your code, I'm not sure why you think that I did? I believe Calvin had tried to get something working with Filmer, but that wasn't working for what he wanted so I put something together myself. I based our script on a Blender to After Effects export script (I think the one below) which I then modified (specifically the convert_transform_matrix) with code I translated from Action Pro (which I also wrote). We released this under the GPL just like the script it was based off.

All the same, I'm happy to add a link in the repro for our script to Filmer so that people can see there are more options out there? Let me know what you would like me to add about Filmer, including links and stuff, and we'll get that sorted ASAP. :)

https://developer.blender.org/F9372340

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,064 Staff

@spydurhank  We've taken a good look at your posts and they were very unexpected to us. I hope you know just how much we value you as an ambassador - your knowledge and wonderful contributions to the community have been so appreciated over the years, and you're a very popular figure here in the office and to the rest of the community I'm sure. I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having bullying Twitter messages though - has that been about Filmer?

As you mentioned, you've been a contractor of ours for years, and please rest assured that if we had ever used anything of yours directly, we would, as we have before, either pay you directly for the work, or credit you (whatever we had agreed). I’ve had a chat with Josh and he’s clarified that we created our own code from a free AE exporter script he found online (as you can see above), and we never used Filmer as unfortunately it didn't work. I’m very sorry if this wasn’t communicated to you by my team at the time, and that it’s misled you all these months. Sounds like the kind of thing that could have built up quite the resentment. 

I really hope that this clarification makes you feel less alienated. We couldn’t be prouder of our fantastic ambassadors and we’d never do anything to jeapordize those relationships. In the future if you feel that you’ve been done wrong by our staff, please come to us immediately so we can sort things out, as I know we would never do it deliberately. 

PS. Your Iron Man models look freaking amazing.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,446 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Frank..

It seems you are well respected by the entire FXHome team and the "Love" that everyone has expressed to you should be heart felt. After all you are da man! I for one am very, very grateful for the knowledge you share with me personally. I couldn't get that kinda of attention even if I was standing naked on I-25!

Keep doing what you're doing and "try" to ignore the negative...it'll kill your creativity and make you a sour "ole man". At 48 you are not ready to be a sour ole man.

Thanks for all you do for the community sir 👍

Edit: I will move the terrain to my G Drive this afternoon and resend a link. Sorry about the iCloud thing...I had no idea the recipient needs an Apple Id to access..my bad sir.

Ad-co: New link to terrain https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2fIXR1etjT8Gt58hkh1KT-19EQnb8yi/view?usp=sharing

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,690 Ambassador

Frank, we chatted in PM/DM, but I re-affirm here what Greg said, right above.

Those Iron Man renders look incredible. Especially that scratched glass/crystal shield in front of the arc reactor.

🤩⭐🔥🍀

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,915 Ambassador
    edited November 2020

I love you guys... you don't even know.

@IamJoshuaDavies , Thank you very, very much. :)

I know you didn't copy my script. I never said you did. I only said that there are bits of my code in your script. My camera equation is in there, but that don't really matter because people have put that equation into other scripts including the AE exporter for years. I don't mind that at all and I'm glad to see that other people are using it and that it helps them too.

All I ever said was that your operation name property group names and registration name needed to be different than mine because the exporters were cancelling each other out... the ops names need to be different from the AE script too because it will also break your script and my script.

@tddavis and I also discovered that other addons written by 3rd parties will also break your script and my script.. like if you import a matchmove from CamTrackar and try to export it out of Blender... there are any number of third party addons that will cause an almost back and forward drift in the CamTrackar motion on export. Terry sent me a list that he found so far of one or two addons that break our scripts, I was going through a few my self so we could post a list because it'll drive people nuts when they can't deduce what could be going wrong and this way we'd help save people from pulling out their hair in frustration. There are bazillions of 3rd party scripts that could be doing this which is time consuming to track down so I've been only checking once every other week, because it's like, really, really boring trying to track these addons. There are way too many... way too many.

I did the same thing, @GrayMotion let me know over two years ago that the old After Effects script had been re-written so that it was now working, so I switched out Mark Edwards code for my little bits of code and also code from an old Maya exporter. This is how I bypassed Gimbal Lock before you guys re-introduced orientation animation in Pro 15. When I was able to combine the AE script with my bits of code I realized something two years ago... ahem... that any AE addon or script could be re-written to work in Hitfilm. I don't use AE though so I didn't bother to learn to read or write xml code. :)

I like your 3 character rotations fix WAY better anyway so I'm using it for sure in my script. See.. To me code is also an art, lots of folks follow a certain convention as to how they code. I kinda really like it and I like you too because you've always been nice to me. :)

@KirstieT , Thank you and I appreciate that very much. as for bullies... look,

When I was three years old, I was beaten up and left in the school playground by some bully pre-teens till my pre-k teacher found me a few hours later during recess. I suffered heat exposure and brain trauma which affects my memory making it so thoughts and ideas are non-linear, kinda like I can't focus and keep a straight thought or like a wandering mind, I can't explain it very well but, I've been recovering from it in the past few years but it started healing back in 2008 when I bought my first computer and found Visionlab vfx software from FXhome. It sparked imagination and brought art back into my life so it's very, very important to me. Most Bullies are people who were bullied themselves when they were younger and that is the only reaction that they know... can't be angry at someone for knowing so little.

Anyway, I'm staying positive because when I use my 3D tools with any of the FXhome software, it's like using art and 3D as trauma therapy and my mind starts working pretty good again like before I was jumped by the pre-teens and it is pretty damned amazing to be able to remember things and ideas. Pretty damned amazing and I feel like a normal person. :) When I see anything remotely negative... I'm back in that playground and my mind starts to shut down so I'm staying positive no matter what. When my memories come back, it's like I have a second chance to do things differently so I'm not letting bullies influence how I think. Staying positive. :)

@GrayMotion ,

Yeah, I was this close to getting an Iphone or something so I could try the CamTrackar, but I'll wait for the android version. :) I'll download your terrain after a while... the bug guy is here so I keep having to pause typing this post which has now taken way over an hour. I'll check ya after a while and thanks for everything dude.

Thanks @tddavis

Thanks @FilmSensei

EDIT

Thanks @Triem23 I think we were typing at the same time, bug dude is here, gotta bolt.

edited November 2020

Frank - I broke down and replaced my Turbo 2 with an iPhone12....not specifically so I could try CamTrackerAR and Live Face from Reallusion (I'm lying here) but so I could experiment with LiDAR in general. I'm also going to try my hand at using my camera AND the iPhone tracking data inside of Unreal...

Anyhoo...CamTrackerAR is **** sensitive. I can't seem to get good footage out of the thing. Stutter city in the footage and the point won't stay locked. It's probably something I'm doing wrong. I even bought a OSMO 4 to steady the shot. No go. NOW - footage directly from the phone does not have the stuttering in the footage. Clean and easy to track. Go figure?? Like I say I must be doing something wrong - so long story short...dont get an iPhone specifically to use CamTrackerAR...it'll drive you batty!!! 🤪

EDIT: I said this "CamTrackerAR is **** sensitive" Yes it is but it is also very very smart. When building a scene it identifies the floor, wall, table top, paper on the table top, computer screens, chair (actually names it seat!) Amazing!!

@CourtneyP I said that once or twice myself. My kids tell me... "Dad, you know they make a pill for that!" **** kids.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,690 Ambassador

Frank... Man childhood bullies are no joke. Although I admit to not having sympathy for bullies. I managed to avoid permanent injuries from my childhood nemesis (not from lack of his trying - he only drove up on a sidewalk trying to run me over with a car twice), but the blankity-blank-BLANKER IS on "Death Row" for murdering his entire family, chopping the bodies up with an axe, putting them in the trunk of a car, driving it out to the desert and setting the whole thing on fire.

So I got off lucky. Worst thing *I*suffered was the broken ribs.

@GrayMotion there are specific limitations in phones that make tracks difficult. First is variable frame rate, second is the tiny sensors in phones make them really prone to rolling shutter/CMOS wobble. I'm not on iPhone, so I'm not sure how CamtrackAR compares to other solutions, but Mocha and Foundry always have more issues with phone/tablet footage than any other camera type.

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 159 Staff

@Triem23 Neo, dodging bullets!

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous 😍

New Filmer build this morning. I'll attempt to have this uploaded soon-ish within the next few days, after first testing for a bit. :)

Faster render samples,

Faster and cleaner noise generation,

Faster and cleaner material shaders which speed up rendering for full global illumination,

Waiting on a little Blender code stabilizations so that I can re-add the old "Light Groups" post rendering feature from about year ago. It's pretty awesome and helps do some insane post rendering compositing while adding more detail to the render. I've written several test builds with Light Groups during the past year and it is pretty damned cool. The Blender api is just always changing so it's tough to keep up the code. :)

Gonna be sweet. :)

• FlyingBanana78FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 424 Enthusiast

To be honest I don't see how you even keep up with the ever changing blender builds flying around. Looks like an awesome change in the UI for hit film that you've done. Might help your sanity a bit to just release changes after there has been major updates or for when code breaks due to a blender build update. But I am far from a coder let alone python coding. Looks awesome man!

What he said! Got to be maddening trying to keep up.

Thanks @FlyingBanana78 and @tddavis ,

Oh it aint too, too bad. :)

I code a new Filmer build every day, first thing in the morning so I'm pretty used to it. :)

It's only every now and again that I really have to re-code stuff because of all the Blender api changes... most times it's just bug fixes and such so it don't take too long.

Every now and again the Blender devs "do stuff" it seems to make it a little tougher to re-code and speed up Cycles rendering in C++. I know that they know, that me and a few others can speed up Cycles renders so they place some clever "caps", not sure if that is to stop us from doing it but I sure am glad that I can hack around their artificial Cycles render speed caps. Sometimes it takes a few quick minutes to find the change and then code around it or sometimes even simply delete the "cap" from my Filmer build. The longest it has taken me is just under three hours but I was also talkin' VFX in a video chat, so I would code a little as the other people were speaking.

On days that I can't focus from muh gosh danged head injury, I don't do no codin', I do some modelling and texture painting but "NO UV UNWRAPPING!!!" Na I don't even try that when I can't focus. My brain has to be on point to uv unwrap because it's just soooooooooooooooo danged boring, I'm talking about, it's really danged boring but if you want to have the best Texel density... you've gotta get all up in there and do you some stuff by hand.

Like right now, I'm glad that I'm done coding for the day because my mind keeps starting to wander, so I'm probably gonna go texture paint something to level myself out. :)

Re-UV unwrapped, re-textured my F-22 Raptor and tossed it into HF pro 16 BETA.

The new Shading system is pretty cool and this thing looks alright, the giveaway is no self reflections but it still looks okay-ish.

Aaaaaand just added initial support for RTX video cards and CPU rendering at the same time so pretty cool stuff. :)

What is that...a TV?

Oh it's a cheap ole Vizio tv that Court bought for me when my older monitor died, so this is just a temp set up. :)

I'd really like to get a monitor for color correction and stuff like that, so I can make my 3D renders look more like what I see with my eyes and my imagination and not like it came out of a computer. I've got standards **** it. :)

Are your current monitors calibrated? While a super-expensive full color correction monitor is a good thing calibrating any monitor makes a huge difference. Most current monitors come from the factory way too blue.

I just had to replace my 2005-era SpyderPro 3, which won't install correctly on my newest machine, but it was nice to finally calibrate with my new SpyderPro X.

Ah, my 2012 laptop... Paid an extra $500 on that one to get the panel that supported full NTSC and Rec709 gamuts. That monitor looked so good!

@spydurhank Ive been using a 24 inch lcd tv since 2014 but its reaching EOL. It takes 20 minutes to warm up enough the screen isnt all kinds of funky scribbles. I would replace it with a 32 inch but sadly the computer desk can't hold anything bigger.😭 What I should do is get a wireless keyboard to go with mouse and use the 42 inch from the recliner... 😁