How to apply effects to 3d unrolled object?..

iamkhanproductionsiamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 226 Enthusiast

I know you can apply effects to 3d plane, but how do you apply effect to 3d unrolled?..

Can you simply parent a grade with effect to 3d unrolled object?

Thanks.

Comments

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,447 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Put the grade layer above the lights. No parenting.

But if ONLY want to grade the model and nothing below the model in the main comp do this...

Put the model in its own comp, unroll it, light it and then a grade layer (above all lights)

Go to main comp, drag in the model comp and unroll it. Tick mark Promote lights from the Layer Properties panel. You can then parent the unrolled model comp to a point for animation if need be.

• iamkhanproductionsiamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 226 Enthusiast
  • iamkhanproductionsiamkhanproductions Website User Posts: 226 Enthusiast

Thanks for the epic write up @Triem23 , as always!.. I'll look into the project file soon!..

Thanks again!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,570 Ambassador

@Triem23 GREAT write up. Thanks for that!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,725 Ambassador

@FilmSensei must have been a particularly good version, cuz I've gone over this a buncha times! Didn't we touch on it in the 3D Model Livestream?

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,570 Ambassador

@Triem23 Yes, you definitely covered all of this before. I just found this to be an exceptionally well written, concise, and easy to understand explanation of not only 3D Model concepts, but Operation of Orders and how Grade Layers work. You have outdone yourself on this write-up.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,378 Moderator

Yup! I copied & pasted into a doc for the archive. 😃

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,447 Enthusiast

Yes. Thanks @Triem23 . As always your knowledge is unmatched by anyone (I know) here. I appreciate your attention to clarity...and yes..you've discussed this with us several times. 👍

@iamkhanproductions - Although my suggestions to your question does work it's really not perfect. Perfect is to keep the model a 2D layer so that all the things Mike mentioned work as expected. If I were you I'd go with the workflow he outlines because that's the right way to do things. My answer was really a hack to the specifics of working with an unrolled model. Not ideal.

Luck to you.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,169 Ambassador

I promoted @Triem23's post because I think more users need to see it. As others have said, it's a great condensation of the process. Even if someone isn't working with 3D models/effects, the core info about how layers/tracks are processed is still important to know.