"Batman Rising" Title 04

georgefilmltd
georgefilmltd Website User Posts: 349 Enthusiast
edited November 2020 in Show off

I made this for my fan-film "Batman Rising"

It feels like it's missing something, so any feedback welcome!

Comments

• ellis_is_great
    ellis_is_great Website User Posts: 31 Enthusiast

A very good start. Hope to see more of this project.

Here is my feedback on some areas to work on or think about:

-The bat symbol looks too low resolution compared to the rest of the title. I also think it would look better if it were pure black like the negative space.

-I'm not sure what you are going for with the cracks. Is the word "Batman" supposed to be cracking? If so, the cracks should scale with the wording when it zooms back in. Right now they sort of linger then fade away.

-The purple smoke effect looks nice in the beginning, but sort of loses contrast, and becomes barely noticeable.

• georgefilmltd

@ellis_is_great

1. Will darken the bat symbol,
    2. Will take off the cracks (I put those in because it was in the batman trailer, but I don't like it anymore),
    3. Will fix the smoke!
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,942 Ambassador
  • EvilDaystar
    EvilDaystar Website User Posts: 300 Enthusiast

OH GOD!!! Why would you remind us of Batman and Robin! The nipple suit, the bad ice puns, the nonsensical physics ...

EvilDaystar goes and cries in a corner.

Seriously, great job.

I'm not sure about how the Batman word compresses down around 0:05 - 0:06

I think sound design will really help. :)

Also, maybe it's too crisp? Too "flash" animation? The lines are to sharp?

• georgefilmltd

@spydurhank

Thanks!

@EvilDaystar

Any idea on how to put Bat-Nipples on a lego figure ;)

Kidding, Yeah, I've been thinking it looks too crisp, any idea on how to fix that?

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,942 Ambassador

No... not the Bat nips. :)

• georgefilmltd

Title 03

Different ending, would like to know if this or the old one is better, by the way 3D in Express is WAY harder than it looks! Will do the score tonight/tomorrow. It didn't look good with grain, so until I find a better way, it will look to sharp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jrVhSFspUOUYCj3gSp_O04tNmMBRk2qN/view?usp=sharing

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,964 Ambassador

Somewhere in between v2 and v3 is your final, methinks. With 2 the push at the end looked a bit flat - with single color shapes and no lighting there was nothing to play off the depth which with you've stacked layers. v3 has that nice tilt on the Batman and Robin shields. But I liked v2 having the "Rising" in front of the shields. I'd go back to having the Rising com up in front of the shields, then keep that as part of the rotation to play off the depth.

I forget offhand which Add-On packs you might have, but a little 3D extrusion on the shields and Rising would add more depth. You don't need much, just a few pixels - maybe five. Just enough to give more depth on the rotations.

For 3D Extrusion is a psuedo-3D effect. It's not creating 3D geometry, just rendering a 3D look to a 2D layer. You'll need to create a 3D point (or, maybe one for each element) to use as the "Extrude From" control and you'll need to move the 3D animation data to the points, because your layers will have to be 2D.

Instead of Grain try a very small amount of blur - like 0.25 to 0.5 pixels with one iteration. This is a typical trick to blend CG elements with camera footage (especially DSLR), which tends to be a little soft, even if in "perfect" focus.

Also consider changing the color values just a bit. I'm thinking your using a pure 0, 0, 0 black a pure 255, 255, 255 white and a pure 255, 255, 255 red/ I typically get better results when none of my color channels are below about 8 or over about 235*. Pure maxed out color channels look very "CG."

*in the olden times of SD broadcast video no color channel ever went below 16 or over 235. the under-16 values were where audio went and the above 235 is where timecode went (or I've reversed that. it's been awhile...). Even though newer formats allow for the full range of values to be used, I still tend to avoid channels below 8 (which is going below the old legal limit) or over 235. Why? Nothing in nature is ever truly black. The closest on gets is the vaccum of space where there's almost nothing for light to bounce from. Nothing in nature is truly white, either! There's always a color cast from the material or light source. I find using 8 as a low value leaves me a little more room for shadows/cast shadows (absence of light), or to punch contrast in grading without crushing shadow detail. Keeping my high value at 235 gives me a little room for "seeing lights" (Sun, flares, etc) or a little extra room for glows and other things in ADD/SCREEN mode blending without clipping highlight details.

Also, when dealing with lights non-zero color channels allow specular highlights to behave correctly. I'm gonna toss in a quick render, just to show what I'm talking about.

Ok, quick render in HF 15. I haven't done all the steps I'd do to make this look "GOOD." (fix up the ambient occlusion, light wrap, etc.), just a quick slap onto a 360 degree background, one light and a shadow catcher.

The car on the LEFT has a red value of 128, 0, 0 and it's specular color is also 128,0,0. The car on the RIGHT has a red value of 128, 8, 8 and it's specular highlight color is a mid gray of 128, 128, 128. That's the ONLY difference between the two models. The one on the right isn't perfect, but it's a lot more convincing than the one on the left. The spec highlights on the side mirrors and hood are blowing out more to white like they should, and even the environment map reflections are giving more of the proper color.

A bit of a digression from the thrust of this thread, but I've been meaning to make this render for a while as part of a tutorial and I just did it whil eI was thinking about it.

• spydurhank

Crazy looking hubcaps

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,964 Ambassador

@spydurhank free POS model, yadda-yadda-yadda. Back from a search where I went through, literally, every free car model on Turbosquid and that one was the best... Of course it has no underside, no seats inside, no interior geometry at all, those crazy hubcaps.... But I used it in a short film where it was shown on screen for under two seconds before I blew it up. You should see the crazy point rig it's hooked up to! There's a master "move" point, a pivot point so the car would tilt (and bounce on it's shocks after it came down) as the explosion happened, points for all the tires (the model started with the tired turned. I had to straighten them!), including a subrig for the tire that fell off in the explosion, as well as points for the hood and doors so the hood would bounce up in the explosions. Then there's plane rigs parented to the hood and engine compartment so the particle sim explosions, fire and smoke would properly wrap around the things!

And on that note, Georgefilm, i won't hijack the thread farther off topic.

• georgefilmltd

@Triem23 Are you saying that "Rising" should be on top of the Nightwing (Red) Symbol when it tilts down?

• Triem23

Yeah, I think so "Farther Forward" would put it "on top" when the tilt happens.

• spydurhank

It looks alright,

It needs some subdivision to smoothen out the low poly edges along the entire profile surface of the car but still, it looks alright. Just an example anyway right? Not meant to look realistic but to show/illustrate your meaning to the OP :)

Rigging... rigging for animation is no joke dude. :)

• georgefilmltd
    edited November 2020

@Triem23 Any idea on how to make the bat more 3d, I have no add on packs, neither do I want them. I've just been using Jay's (FIlm Sensei's) old tutorials on 3D text in Express, it doesn't work that well on the bat symbol though.

• Triem23

Unfortunately ideas for how to make the bat more 3D begin and end with the 3D Extrusion effect, which is an add-on (VFX: Starter Pack, which is also in the cheapest Pay What You Will tier, or will be on sale in a few days). I haven't watched Jay's tutorials for psuedo-3D text in a long time, but, if I remember correctly, he'd basically layer another copy behind the foreground in a contrasting color and a slightly different size. That works for about 15 degrees or so, but, after that, you really need the 3D extrusion effect.

Coincidentally I just happened to throw this together, using the 3D extrusion effect to show you what I was thinking a couple of posts ago.

• georgefilmltd

@Triem23 Dang! How did you create that glow on Rising?

• Triem23

Ah, I used Auto Volumetrics, which is a Pro-Add-on Effect, but you could get something pretty similar with a zoom blur.

• georgefilmltd
    edited November 2020
  • premiere_studios
    premiere_studios Website User Posts: 77 Enthusiast

Looks great might want to continue the motion of the batman logo or lengthen the keyframes

but overall nice job!! @GeorgefilmLtd

• Triem23

Very nice! Zoom blur for the rays, or something else?

• georgefilmltd
  • Triem23

Worked well. Nice job - you took a version I showed you that used several add-ons and figured out how to rebuild it without those add ons. That's good thinking, and I think the v4 title is the best yet. 😀

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Website User Posts: 922 Enthusiast

I think it looks fantastic. Really good design and the effects work great.

• georgefilmltd
    edited November 2020