Are these laptop specs ok for 1080p videos not exceeding 20 mins with little special effects?

xarvanxarvan Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out

I'm a on a tight budget so here's what I can afford:

Ryzen 7 4800h

GTX 1650ti

8gb ram (I'll add 8 more to be 16gb ram)

The special effects i'll only on hitfilm express are smooth sliding images, text effects, speeding up videos. You know no hard stuffs.

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,119 Moderator

Those specs absolutely should run HitFilm, and support it for years to come.

You won’t get amazing performance out of it, but it will do just fine for basic edits in 1080p 30fps(as long as your footage is optimized)

Perhaps you can tell us your budget. We might be able to find something you missed. I assume a laptop is a requirement (as opposed to a more powerful desktop)?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,663 Ambassador

Who are you buying from/what brand? If a "big name" vendor (HP/Dell, Amazon/Best Buy, etc) I recommend what I always recommend - look online at sites that sell custom gaming laptops over other options. You'll always find a configuration that gives you more money for your dollar.

My newest laptop is a Ryzen 7 4800H with Nvidia 2060.

The Ryzen 7 4800H is a six month old CPU and it's fantastic - the first AMD CPU to outperform its Intel equivalent.

The 1650ti is OK, but for about another $50 you should be able to upgrade to a 2060. That extra $50 gets you two more GB of VRAM, a GPU that's almost twice as fast (both important for Hitfilm), uses less power (good for your battery life or electricity bill), and has some additional bells and whistles that don't necessarily apply to Hitfilm (RTX Raytracing does nothing for Hitfilm but, if you also play games, it's a nice-to-have). Overall, on hardware comparison sites, the 2060 rates higher in price/performance ratio.

Either GPU will work well in Hitfilm, but the 2060 is better.

What about the rest of the components. RAM and Storage? 8GB is your minimum, 16GB better. For storage you want an SSD not a HDD, and you want at least 512GB if not 1TB.

Re: "Hard Stuff." Note that Hitfilm needs improvement in how it handles speeding and slowing footage. Speeding up/slowing footage in Hitfilm counts as "hard stuff" as it's resource intensive and slow compared to other software.

Otherwise my 2060 cheerfully plays back two tracks of 4k in real-time, so you should have pretty smooth performance at 1080p with either GPU.

I'll tag in @kevin_n as he's a real expert at hardware configurations - he keeps up with everything!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast
    edited November 2020

Ryzen 7 4800h

GTX 1650ti

The Ryzen 7 4800 is really powerful - overkill for most. The GTX 1650 Ti is ok, but it shouldn't be paired with that CPU. That's a very common marketing tactic to shorten the time it takes until the consumer wants bigger and better.

The balance here is literally CPU: High end, GPU: Low end. And this doesn't benefit anyone for this use case. A Mid end CPU and a Mid end GPU would run circles around the former. And in HitFilm, a Low end CPU: E.g the Ryzen 4 core 8 thread (still very good), and a High end GPU would run circles around the Mid-Mid. It's very much a balancing act.

8gb ram (I'll add 8 more to be 16gb ram)

Generally speaking, laptops only come in dual RAM slot configurations. Unless specified in the listing, it's safe to assume that it's configured to use 2x4 GB, to reduce cost and to enable dual channel speeds - it's a no brainer, really. So, when you finally end up going out with the intention to upgrade, that you're going to be purchasing a new 2x8 GB configuration. I'd argue 99/100 times.

-----

I agree with what @Triem23 is saying, however I'd only want to add 2 additional points.

1. Black Friday is around the corner.

2. NVIDIA and AMD 3000 series and 5000 series GPU's will be showing up in laptops pretty soon going by current projections.

If you need a laptop right now, and cannot wait 20 more days, then go ahead. It'll run HitFilm and perform the tasks you've listed with ease.

• xarvanxarvan Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out

Laptop is needed for portability. I dont live in US. And we're in a middle of a pandemic so we can't really travel much

edited November 2020

I thought Hitfilm is CPU extensive. Anyways, there are another two picks.

2nd pick:

• Ryzen 7 3750h
    • RTX 2060
    • 8gb ram (I intend to add 8 more)
    • 512 GB SSD

3rd pick:

• i7-10750h
    • RTX 2060
    • 8gb ram (I intend to add 8 more)
    • 512GB SSD

Can you clarify a bit more on the RAM part?

Also i dont live in US

edited November 2020

3rd pick:

This is the fastest. But what's the price difference between 2 & 3?

Can you clarify a bit more on the RAM part

When adding more RAM, it means that you will remove the 8 GB you have and purchase 16 GB, turning the existing 8 GB into paper weight. If possible, unless the price is great, aim for a 16 GB laptop right off the bat if you really feel that you need it.

• EvilDaystarEvilDaystar Website User Posts: 300 Enthusiast

Should be more than ok. My current rig is a i5 6600k with 32gb of RAM and a gtx 970. I'm planning on upgrading in April since this rig is having issues with modern games.

edited November 2020

So the 3rd pick is also better than my 1st pick?

The 8gb is 1 in quantity not a 2x4gb ram

The difference is approximately 290USD

I probably wont be able to buy a laptop with a built in 16gb ram. It's out of the budget. Hopefully I could. I honestly havent thought about it.

edited November 2020

So the 3rd pick is also better than my 1st pick?

Yes.

The 8gb is 1 in quantity not a 2x4gb ram

If you're interpreting that correctly, then upgrading to 16 will run you €30-€40.

Some OEM's don't comply with standards which defeats the point, anyways. Make sure to check if it has room for a second SO-DIMM/slot (usually labeled as such).

Hopefully I could scout again. Because the third pick has only one ram slot. The first pick has 2 ram slots. Heck, every laptop has a con. I might choose the first pick. You said it'll run with ease. Also speaking of ease does green screen effects count. I'm just using a 5 second meme lol

edited November 2020

Please mind your language as FXHome is providing services for the younger audience as well.

I might choose the first pick. You said it'll run with ease.

Yes, it's all about performance. It will do it, but because it's a low end GPU, it won't do it fast. It's faster than integrated graphic, and a lot of people get by just fine with that, but because you're in a position to look at multiple options, absolutely get the one that provides the features you want now, not later. I can't even tell you how many people say they'll buy something that's weaker now and upgrade later but never do.

You will get by with 8 GB of RAM, it's not great, it's not bad. Upgrading from 0 to 16 should run you about €60 if I've interpreted the prices correctly here given the €290 range - those are similar to mine here in Sweden.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,663 Ambassador

@xarvan as Kevin said, we're a family-friendly forum, so, no cursing, please.

I had gone into your prior post to remove one word and the post vanished. I don't know if I messed up and hit delete, or if another mod took a different action at the same time, but I'll say it was my error. Sorry about that.

You're fine - this isn't any kind of "official" warning or tag. You were being conversational and just used a poor adjective.

Sorry for deleting your prior post. Accident on my part. Unfortunately, I don't quite remember what you said.

Anyways, let's get back to discussing your new laptop.

As Kevin_n notes, most laptops have two memory channels and an "8GB" machine will have two 4GB modules. If you upgrade at a later time you'll end up with unused RAM that's now trash. If possible it's better to upgrade a laptop on initial configuration.

8 vs 16 GB. Video editing is genuinely an intensive process. Windows is going to eat up about 3GB of RAM just doing its thing. Hitfim uses its own RAM and the more assets you load in the more RAM will be used up. Now you have your "RAM Preview" in Comp Shots. With only 8GB of RAM you won't have much overhead for cache files or RAM Previews, and you won't have memory available for multitasking if you want to open something like, say, a web browser to watch a tutorial or browse for pictures while HF is open.

Don't know how much of a hurry you're in, but, with Black Friday coming up and a bunch of new hardware coming out prices are going to drop in about three weeks. Today you might not be able to afford 16GB, but, when the sales kick in, you might.

No matter how you slice it, none of the options you're looking at are BAD. If you can be a little patient, shop around and wait for the end of the month you should be able to squeeze out something a bit BETTER.

I follow my own advice. My newest laptop, I started my research at the end of July, but waited for beginning of September "Back to School" sale. That weekend I bought the machine I'd decided on, but was able to add a full TB of SSD and another 16GB of RAM for the same price compared to the month before.

So, unless this is a time critical situation where you need this machine for paid work, keep browsing systems, but don't buy yet.

Sorry for the profanity

If the only downside for having GTX 1650ti with Ryzen 7 4800h is slow rendering time. I wont really mind. My crappy laptop renders a 1080p from davinci resolve for 2 hours. But i still have a month to decide. I just want to be reassured that my "weakest" pick will get what I want for video editing in hitfilm express.

edited November 2020

Sorry for the profanity.

But if the only downside of having GTX 1650ti, Ryzen 7 4800h and 8gb ram is slow rendering. Then i won't really mind. My former weaker i3-4005, 930m, 4gb ram laptop renders 1080p videos from davinci resolve for 2 hours (Poor thing lol).

Will my first pick last for years if used hitfilm express with?

I just want to be reassured that my "weakest" pick can do the demands I have for video editing in Hitfilm Express.

edited November 2020

Sorry for the profanity.

I have a month to decide. I just want to be reassured that my "weakest" pick can do what I want in hitflim express. Will my first pick last for a long time? That said, if I can upgrade the ram for lowest price possible or find a good laptop with built in 16gb ram then I'll go with that.

I have a month to decide. I just want to be reassured that my "weakest" pick can do what I want in hitflim express. 

Wait until black friday then come back with

Country

Currency

Budget

Order online? List sites

This is extreme confirmation bias and youll be experiencing buyers remorse within the first week if you buy the 1st laptop you listed. Its as simple as that.

To kinda rephrase what @kevin_n says above, in this case you shouldn't choose the "weakest" of the three options when all advice is to wait a couple of weeks and get something better for the same price.

Country, Currency and Budget will help. Kevin is a real expert at parts and configuration.

If you were buying a desktop I'd say maybe go ahead and go a little underpowered because desktops can be upgraded piecemeal. A laptop can NOT. Laptops are impossible to upgrade the CPU and GPU after purchase and even RAM or SSD upgrades might be a major issue depending on how the laptop is built. (I had one laptop that I bought with an empty drive bay to put in a Samsung i got for less than the OEM. Unfortunately getting to that drive bay invoved removing the casing, RF shield, keyboard, motherboard... basically it had to go to a service center for a full rip apart because it beyond my skill. I ended up paying more for the service cal than I saved on the drive.

For a laptop, really, buy the biggest, best most powerful machine you can get (especially if you're planning on using it for years) because what you buy is what you get. YOu can't easily add new things like desktops.

edited November 2020

@Triem23 To kinda rephrase what @kevin_n says above

In retrospect, what i said looks a bit harsch. Definitely not my intention.

A laptop can NOT. Laptops are impossible to upgrade the CPU and GPU after purchase 

You can upgrade the GPU by using a external GPU dock, connects at similar PCIe speed, provided the CPU functions well with the required Thunderbolt 3 connector to use with any GPU worth writing about. Razer started the trend, its not really died down but it's more like an enthusiast thing. Here's a dock by Razer:

@kevin_n We may be arguing semantics here, but, in my mind, an e-GPU isn't "upgrading a laptop," it's "connecting an exterior peripheral." I mean, it's EXTERNAL. Plugging an an external drive isn't "upgrading" the laptop either.

"Buyer's remorse" was a little harsh, but it wasn't mean, if you see the difference. It's all good.

@xarvan in general, if kevin_n and I disagree or contradict, listen to him*. he's better at this sort of thing than I am...

*except the first paragraph of this post, when I am CLEARLY correct. 😉

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,329 Moderator

I have a couple of old, sloooow laptops crying out for one of those! I want a couple!😁 Of course, then I have to get GPUs to put in them...sigh

It's ok. I know i can be annoying. I'm not saying I'm choosing the weakest. It's a more of a reassurance that I can still do the things I want in hitfilm express even with the worst pick possible. Like I said i have a month to decide. Of course I'm buying a laptop with higher specs for the lowest price possible. My parents doesnt really like buying expensive stuffs online. So my location and picks are somewhat limited and out of my control.

@xarvan you're NOT being annoying. Let's make that clear. You're a new user asking legitimate questions, and knowing your parents are buying is a useful thing to know. When someone else is paying for the purchase that's something we need to take into account when giving advice. 😊

May we ask which country you'll be ordering from? This will further help us with suggestions.

But ask away. This is genuinely one of the nicest, most helpful forums around and our users make moderation easy. Kill a little spam, maybe move a thread to a better page, or split threads if they get off-topic and that's about it! Hitfilm users are pretty darn nice.

edited November 2020

We may be arguing semantics here, but, in my mind, an e-GPU isn't "upgrading a laptop," it's "connecting an exterior peripheral." I mean, it's EXTERNAL. Plugging an an external drive isn't "upgrading" the laptop either.

Well, that depends. Generally the CPU found in laptops is the limiting factor, or component 'bottlenecking' mid-high end GPU's because the TDP is just lower than desktop counterparts. This also generally means that boosts are single core only unless you unlock the voltage and multiplier yourself.

I don't think it's quite an apples to apples comparison when comparing an external GPU to an external drive, primarily because the drive will be running via the USB, meanwhile GPU PCIe-4 lanes with the help of Thunderbolt 3. Due to the nature of the current CPU efficiency, you could argue that the performance difference at the mid-high end to be a 10-20% performance loss in HitFilm, theory crafting...

However, because HitFilm renders in long sequential cycles, and the vast majority of functions being single thread only, e.g navigating the GUI, and applying effects which are not multi threaded (almost all of them, note not talking about exporting here which samples everything into 1), it means that the bottleneck will be even less in the end. As a result, for this type of use case, it may very well be a valid or appropriate path to take when considering a new laptop since generally they're sold with high end CPU's and low-mid end GPU's. This is assuming it's got the aforementioned Thunderbolt 3.

I'm not arguing a case where an External GPU makes in any way sense for this user's needs, just shining some light on the different paths one could take when considering laptops and considering upgrades over time. Suddenly the eGPU may make sense because frankly a €300 dock and €600 GPU makes a lot more sense than a new laptop for 2-2.5k, but I digress... 😅

I'm from the Philippines. I'm using philippine peso and the laptop should be less than 100k php.

There's a new pick

i7-10750h

GTX 1660Ti

16gb ram (built in)

512GB + 512GB PCIE SSD (Raid 0)

How does this compare to my other picks?

i'm from the Philippines. I'm using philippine peso and my budget is 100k php

I have another pick:

i7-10750h

GTX 1660Ti

16gb ram (built in)

512GB+512GB PCIE SSD (Raid 0)

How does this compare to my other picks?