Slo-Mo Footage isn't Slo-Mo...

CmFilmsCmFilms Website User Posts: 67 Enthusiast

Hey, Hitfilm! Whenever I import some iPhone slow motion footage, it plays back at a normal speed, basically as if I hadn't even recorded it on slo-mo. I've even checked and yes, indeed, it is slow when played back on other softwares.

Is it a problem with the embedding? I sent it over to iMovie and it plays back fine. Exported that into Hitfilm, and now it is Slow Motion. But this is very time-consuming...

Suggestions?

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador

@CMFilms I suspect that iMovie knows to play it back in slow mo because there is embedded metadata put in the file header that tells other Apple products what to do. Would be interested to hear what another non-Apple product does with the file. Does it play slow-mo in VLC or other 3rd party player, for example?

• CmFilmsCmFilms Website User Posts: 67 Enthusiast
    edited September 20

@Stargazer54, Imported it into Resolve and it once again plays back as if It was shot in normal speed.

Is there any way to fix this? (apps?)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,709 Ambassador

I think you've answered your own question. You'll probably have to wash it through iMovie and export. However you can still bring it into HF and change the speed there.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

I believe HitFilm conforms high framerate video to your project settings and plays it back in real time. Making it work in slo-mo is a bit weird. You should be able to right-click the clip in the media bin and open the clip properties. Uncheck get framerate from file, then (this is where it gets weird) instead of 120 or 240 FPS, type in your project framerate. Now your slow-mo clip should play in smooth slow-mo.

If it’s choppy, we may have to try something else.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,238 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 @triforcefx Really, gents? You've both forgotten that @CMFilms can right-click his clip in the Media Bin, select "Properties," uncheck "From File" in the frame rate and manually lower the frame rate of the clip to slow it down?

For example, importing a 120 fps clip and changing it's frame rate in properties to 30 would make the clip play back at "one quarter" speed.

CMFilms, note that Hitfilm does not properly support 240fps video as of HF 15. 240fps files will need to "wash" through iMovie.

• CmFilmsCmFilms Website User Posts: 67 Enthusiast

@Triem23, Oh my gosh!!! YOU ARE A LIFE-SAVER! Thanks, I really appreciate it! 😀

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@CMFilms You might also want to check out Triem23's detailed discussion of the Speed effect in this thread:

It is very interesting and similar to your question; don't let the title fool you. :)

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

@Triem23 isn’t that basically what I said? The only difference is that I said to set it to the project framerate, which would slow it down nicely if they were using a standard framerate.

I’ll admit that I wasn’t right in front of my computer to double check the steps, but my process was virtually identical to yours other than how I chose the new framerate.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,238 Ambassador

@triforcefx you are correct and I owe you an apology. Sorry 'bout that.

@Triem23 No worries! I was just a bit confused when I read your post! 😀