Displacement and Glowing effect tutorial please!

AidilAliAidilAli Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out

Film Riot just did a tutorial on Umbrella Academy effects but it was with AE.

Can we have Hitfilm version please! The displacement and glowing effects techniques was not the same/available in Hitfilm.

I feel lacking behind now. Help!!!

Answers

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador
  • triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Like Ryan mentioned in the video, basically everything in his AE version can be duplicated in other compositing software (ie., HitFilm), other than the content-aware fill. While the naming conventions are a bit different (an AE null is a HitFilm Point, for instance), this tutorial translates to HitFilm almost 1:1. The videos Triem linked to are also great for getting a similar effect, sometimes in a slightly different way though.

• AidilAliAidilAli Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
    edited September 20

Thank u for your help but maybe i wasn't clear enough. I wanted to know how to make that mercury-look liquid/jelly effect before he teleported. The shape of it (creating a hole outline) is super cool. 👍

Ryan mentioned in his tutorial that he adjusted the displacement effect which i have no idea how do we do that in Hitfilm. Other tutorials on AE mentioned about displacement maps and liquify too. Maybe there are alternative names to it in Hitfilm?

Take a look at my screenshots of Umbrella Academy before he teleported. Look at that liquid-look and customizable shape. Please share with us if any of u knows how to do it.

Thank u in advance!

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Most of the effects under the Distort folder can pull off these types of effects. Try a few of them and see what works for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Although i couldn't get exactly like how Ryan did with AE, here is the best i can do with Hitfilm. Quite tedious though. Do take a look ya. Appreciate your feedback if any, so i can improve more.

YouTube Link:

https://youtu.be/Pgha2aKRfKI

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,562 Staff

@AidilAli looks very professional to me! Good work.

@TheBenNorris Thanks for the compliments! Hope it can be featured on your side so as to motivate Hitfilm users who feel that it is impossible to go head to head with AE.

Im gonna do more vfx vids with Hitifilm to prove AE users that we can do it too! Fyi Zach King did feature me in one of his videos

Link: https://youtu.be/4c8A4ipevN8

Scroll to 4:58.

Cheers!