[Enhancement] H.265 Support Needed in HF

Stargazer54Stargazer54 ModeratorModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador
edited September 3 in HitFilm

This has been probably asked before but having H.265 support in HF would be a godsend for those on consumer devices such as GoPro's, cameras, drone footage, etc. More and more new devices are wanting to shoot in this format.

As we go forward and hope to attract new users with HF Express (free version), users will most likely be coming onboard with devices shooting H.265 and the first thing they are going to hit is a wall when trying to bring in footage. Wish I had a dollar for every response saying "you're going to have to transcode".

Comments

• CoastToCoastDronesCoastToCoastDrones Website User Posts: 23 Just Starting Out
    edited September 4

How bout some H265 support so we could go 10 bit ...HDR profiles ? Pro Version?

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
    edited September 4

Hey @CoastToCoastDrones - thanks for your message! In the future, if you have a feature request, please post it on our Feature Request forum (and follow the guidance for structure) so that other users have the chance to Vote Up your suggestion. Our developers will be watching to see what the most requested feature is and look to include it in future versions: https://community.fxhome.com/categories/hitfilm-feature-requests

Please tag me if you decide to do this and I will move your thread from General to Feature Requests.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@CoastToCoastDrones @KirstieT Bill, I just went ahead and moved your thread to the appropriate forum and changed your title to be in line with the current, requested syntax.

I chose "Enhancement" over "feature" as Hitfilm (obviously) imports video and can accept HDR in other codecs, so I think adding HEVC is more an ENHANCEMENT of the existing imports than a new feature. If you disagree with my semantics, go ahead and change to FEATURE.

Javert has typed up some guidelines for feature/enhancement requests here. https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/53785/how-to-submit-a-feature-request-you-must-not-post-before-reading-these-instructions#latest

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,056 Staff
  • CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

Since there was already a discussion on here about HEVC/H.265, I've merged the two threads.

@CoastToCoastDrones Feel free to vote up the top post

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador
    edited September 18

On behalf of @CoastToCoastDrones I would like to request H265 support in HitFilm. I believe the Mavic 2 Pro works with 10 Bit H265.

Yes ...I just made a fantastic HDR video using HEVC and Final Cut Pro X !! Sure wish Hitfilm could do H265 !!

Fine with me Mike ...I've been using Final Cut Pro X ...just ordered DaVinci ... Hope Hitfilm updates before this years sub runs out in Nov

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Sorry, I did a search but didn't find this thread, so I created another one. I have merged them now into the main thread.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

It feels like every day we have a person on the forum asking why their .MP4 won’t work... 99% of the time, it’s because of H.265 media.

Even if performance takes a hit (which hardware decoding can likely help a ton) it’s (probably) worth it to include.

I wouldn’t be surprised if, for every person that writes us on the forum about this issue, there’s another that gives up on HitFilm either because they don’t know why HitFilm is “broken” and can’t play their footage, or because they don’t feel like transcoding all their footage.

• iNateiNate Website User Posts: 43 Just Starting Out

There are $99 (or less) NLEs with HEVC Support. A $300+ NLE should support this.

It's increasingly inexcusable that it is not supported - especially considering the amount of prosumer camera/drone/etc. hardware that acquires footage in this CODEC.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

Remember what Sarris said in Galaxy Quest. "Patience, patience ..."

• AveneAvene Website User Posts: 17 Enthusiast

Yes, please add support for h.265 files. I have a 3 cameras that shoot these (Z-Cam E2, GoPro 7 and Insta 360 One R), plus an iphone.

I was looking at upgrading my copy of Hitfilm Pro 2017 to Hitfilm Pro 15 in the hope it would be able to load h.265 files from my Z Cam E2. Although decided it would be best to try Hitfilm Express first. Which I did, and couldn't load any of the files there. So it seems I still won't be upgrading anytime soon. Which is a shame, as I was hoping to jump on one of the Black Friday deals.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@Avene All I can say is this request has been heard and resolution is immenent. Taking advantage of the sale price not only gets u enhancements in upcoming HH 16 but a year's worth of updates to come.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@Stargazer54 ain't saying anything about HF16 and I ain't saying anything about HF16, but...

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast
    edited November 18

In before we see twice as many threads after implementation, saying HitFilm is running poorly on their system. Can't wait!

Cynicism aside. People will get more work done in their project even after including the time it takes to transcode said HEVC before beginning work on it, so spend some time teaching and explaining the way we've learned ourselves to be the most efficient path towards smooth editing - and god forbid they add VFX - no matter what it may be. CPU's can't catch up to this yet, it'll be at least another 10 years. A current high IPC i9 8 core can't do it, HitFilm is also too far behind other NLE's which handle this variance better by implementing better thread utilization but also hardware decoding of HEVC, so who's to assume that it's suddenly a bliss to have this be implemented. I'd like something else to be implemented instead - a warning stating TRANSCODE PLEASE.

I'm not saying anything about hardware decoding in 16.

edited November 19

If HEVC decoding is actually coming, then I'll add to the topic and say that the bare minimum specs that will support it on PC are (depending on implementation by FXHome some may not be at all, like CPU's I guess):

CPU - Intel 6th gen+ / AMD 6th gen+

GPU - NVIDIA 950+ / AMD Fury~FuryX~Nano+

Assumes decoding not just importing. It's hard to tell with these hints. Honestly I'd prefer ya'll to be silent since I like being surprised 🤣

@kevin_n now that the announcement video is out, we can say hardware accelerated HEVC import and decoding will be in HF16 (and h.264/HEVC hardware decoding comes to MAC).

Can't tell you the exact implementation, but it's likely it remains limited to 4:2:0 8bpc like HF 15. That's still the majority of AVC and HEVC video.

@Avene About those Black Friday deals... 😉

edited November 19

@Triem23 Agreed. Time will tell.

GPU's don't support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 anyways in the hevc SDK, neither Nvidia or amd has showed any interest in it either.

Up next! H.266...

• AveneAvene Website User Posts: 17 Enthusiast

@Stargazer54 and @Triem23 - Yes, I caught the video announcement yesterday. Looks like I will take advantage of that deal after all!

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@kevin_n

GPU's don't support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 anyways in the hevc 

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

The lack of 4:2:2 in AVC or HEVC decode is a big problem for the video edit world. Not a problem with the playback world.

Nvidia does support 4:4:4 in HEVC from the 2xxx series on. Encode and decode.

Curiously Nvidia has supported AVC 4:4:4 on encode but not decode.

Nvidia has also supported lossless encodes for AVC and HEVC.

The whole 4:4:4 seems curious unless one thinks of using AVC/HEVC as an intermediate. Then 4:4:4 makes sense and HW decode keeps the performance up. Even in something slower like Hitfilm.

Up next! H.266...

Most HW decoders already support AV1 in current offerings. VP9 in recent offerings.

For encode it is all AVC and HEVC only even in the latest silicon.

edited November 20