[ENHANCEMENT] Transitions inside composite shots

SensibleBurger
SensibleBurger Website User Posts: 14 Enthusiast

I feel having the ability to have transitions (light leak, cross fade, etc) within composite shots would help speed up the flow of video production, if it were possible.

Tagged:

Comments

• borkia
    borkia Website User Posts: 31 Enthusiast

Yes! That would be so handy!

• HealthWyze
    HealthWyze Website User Posts: 44 Just Starting Out

Absolutely. It's ridiculous how much time we waste trying to get a cross zoom right inside a composite shot, with keyframes, then trying to line it up in the editor later.

• Misati_Randy
    Misati_Randy Website User Posts: 29 Enthusiast

FXHome should really consider that since it would really speed up workflow a great deal.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,961 Ambassador

This is a tricky thing to make happen. You're (all the above) overlooking a fundamental difference between the Editor Timeline and Composite Shots:

The Editor Timeline is TRACK based. Multiple media clips can exist on a track.

Comps are LAYER based. Only one media clip exists on a layer.

Transitions work by transitioning between two clips on a TRACK. It's taking frames from the clips on both sides of the cut. Since a Layer has only one media clip on it any transition added would automatically be transitioning to or from... nothing.

I'm not saying that something similar to transitions can't be added to Comp Shots (and, yes, it would be easier to add things there), but I AM saying that this is not a trivial request in any way. This requires changes to core functionality. At minimum you'd have to be able to specify what the "other clip" in the transition is, and that's a drop-down menu at least. "Transitions" in a comp shot will NOT be as easy to apply as a simple drag and drop.

All that said, it wouldn't be the first, second or third time I pointed out that a feature request for HITFILM required core changes, and those magificent folks at FXHOME did it anyway, so keep clicking up-vote.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

At minimum you'd have to be able to specify what the "other clip" in the transition is,

I think also the second/right layer needs it's left/in point precisely lined up with the first/left layer out point.