Introduce Yourself!

philipwessonphilipwesson StaffAdministrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 128 Staff
edited September 17 in General

Here at FXhome, we know that users come from a variety of backgrounds! As such, we'd love you to introduce yourself to your fellow filmmakers, videographers, VFX Artists, photographers, and motion graphics artists.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! Cheat sheet to intros include:

• Where you're from
  • What got you into filmmaking/photography
  • Who your favorite creator is
  • What your favorite movie/TV series is
  • What you're working on next!
ยซ1

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,177 Moderator
    edited August 26

Ok, here goes nothing... I am from far western Ky in the US. I'm tddavis or 4K Productions Films (not 4K resolution though! Way back, in the 80s I started a side business transferring people's 8mm and 16mm film to VHS for cheap. I called it 4K because I had 4 daughters under 10 at the time all names starting with K. Had to wait until the 4th was born to use the name though for "reasons" ๐Ÿคฃ Now there are 10 grandchildren too.

I got into video way back about 1974 when me and a couple of friends in high school were tasked with cleaning up the attendance office closet (No, it wasn't detention or punishment๐Ÿ˜€) and we found an old reel to reel 3/4 or 1 inch videotape machine and camera. Being as I was a fledgling darkroom junkie for the school yearbook, we asked to try and sort out the jungle of cables and get it operational which we did and used it to video that years drama play Lil Abner which I was the villain and which sadly was lost after graduation. I am a retired nuclear/chemical worker. I started getting into CG/3D in about 2004 with an old copy of 3DSMax then went to Lightwave for a time and finally saw what Blender had started adding with Physics about 2012-13 and started trying to learn it heavily. Also, about when I discovered Hitfilm 3. I'm old and slow, so I have made slow progress. 

Always been into Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror books and movies and used to be a huge comic collector. Oh, I'm also a failed writer so apologies for the 10K word essay. Most writing I have done in quite the while. Oh, left out; at the moment my favorite creative is Jon Favreau and The Mandalorian is my current obsession. So much for boring, useless trivia. If you have any questions, just ask. 

• dan0408dan0408 Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out

Hi all. Dan here. I'm a teacher in the UK, teaching Drama, Creative Media, and some other stuff.

I got into Hitfilm about 3 years ago. I mainly use it to make VFX videos of my kids (plural as of 3 months ago. Lockdown baby!) But I also use it at my school to teach the kids about vfx and editing.

Favourite YouTubers are fx home (obvs), Film Sensei, Cinecom, Production Crate.

Fav movie is probably the lotr trilogy.

Tv is 24.

Currently working on Film learning 150k comp.

That's me ๐Ÿ˜

• philipwessonphilipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 128 Staff
  • GeorgefilmLtdGeorgefilmLtd Website User Posts: 211 Enthusiast

Welcome to the community @usafdummy!๐Ÿ˜

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,177 Moderator

@usafdummy I just finished painting a wall in my garage for green screen... Living my dream right there! I want to own again instead of rent just so I can paint an entire garage Kelly Green from Wal-Mart like that. ๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

Ok Well I don't Usually do these but hey, why not for a change.

So I'm John living in Gloucestershire in the UK Software developer of 30 year experience and Father of two.

Can't really say what got me into film making as I've been into it for years but I think it was my affinity with tech and love of movies and TV that brought me here. I've been on these forums for 9 years so the profile on this new platform tells me and Fist started with FX home with AlamDV that was on the front of a video camera magazine.

I don't really have a favourite creator but I do like the darker side of thing and some atmosphere. I tend at times to be non conventional is what I like.

Favourite movie. I don't have just one. Alien, Aliens, Apocalypse Now, Blade runner, Serenity, The shining, Zombieland, Shaun of the dead,

TV Shows. Another array really, Love a quiz as do the family Firefly, Blakes 7, Utopia,Elementary, Indeed many detective shows.

What am i working on/what next. Well I do a themed Xmas movie with the kids each year for the wife and I continue to try and write a post apocalyptic Zombie type series but it turns out I'm more about the tech than the creative side. I have lots of Scenes in my head but tying them together with a story is a real challenge for me.

My Youtube is DreamArchitect365 but I don't post much on there and what I have is pretty poor. Mostly the annual xmas movie. I need to do more but at 53 and two kids, time is at a premium. At least that's my excuse anyway.

Out side of this I'm a runner, occasional drummer (beginner) and gardener (Covid gave the wife and I time to spend on this).

So that's my online dating profile. Photos on request ๐Ÿ˜€

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

Recent work: *casually name drops some of the biggest films of the last few years*

I’m curious, do you still use tools like HitFilm in your work for certain things?

• IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff
    edited August 27

So nice to be reading all these intros! We might be from all over the world, but it is lovely to see that that are so many shared interests and passions! Plus it is always great to see the elusive @HybridHalo - feels like the old days. Hope to see you next year buddy.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 450 Enthusiast

I've been active on the forums for three years, and I knew practically nothing abut prominent users, this thread was a really neat idea๐Ÿ‘

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
    edited August 28

Wow @HybridHalo. What a blast from the past. Great that you could pop in and say hi. Fantastic to see that you made a top career out of this work. I know there are a number of pros on here but that's a hell of a list to name drop ๐Ÿ™‚

• TimLan635TimLan635 Website User Posts: 50 Enthusiast

Hi, I'm Tim. I'm a boring 60-year-old from southwest Ohio in the USA. I hardly ever find time to watch movies, but spend hours on YouTube. I liked the LOTR and Star Wars movies, Harry Potter, whatever my kids were into. Crazy Stupid Love was a super cheap DVD that I really enjoyed. I liked Viggo Mortensen in Green Book.

I do some basic editing in Vegas (school plays, vacation and family videos). I've never even used HitFilm, but have been following this website almost daily for many, many years. Back in the days of Wasser, the Adams brothers, Redhawksrymmer(?), etc.

I see mentions here of Corridor Digital being inspirational. I imagine that many members here might not be aware that Sam and Niko really started out here in the FxHome community, well before they became famous for Corridor Digital.

@IamJoshuaDavies (or anyone else) -- Do you recall the name Sam and Niko posted under here at FxHome? It might be fun to locate some of their old posts and video submissions.

• Vlad_ZanbarboneVlad_Zanbarbone Website User Posts: 58 Just Starting Out
    edited August 29

Hello!

My name is Laurent, I am 46 years old and I live in France. I also grew up in FrenchGuyana as well as in Guadeloupe.

I am a driving teacher, and I am passionate about computers, movies (especially science fiction / fantasy / action), travel, and many other things!

I have a youtube channel , "lolo le mono", which I created for my students. Of course I now use Hitfilm to create the videos;)

Regarding my favorite movie creators, I will quote Georges Lucas, Spielberg, David Fincher, Robert Zemeckis, James Cameron ...

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,713 Ambassador
  • IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff
    edited September 1

@TimLan635 They were mechaforce and sidewinder back in the day - they still use those handles in a couple of places too. I'm still in touch with a few of those guys, including the Adams brothers and Nils. :)