Audio in "Atomic Particles Effect"

HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 321 Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone's knows the benchmark regarding how effects  reacts to specific audio frequencies depending on what you Map to it.

For instance,  it would appear that some instruments in the lower frequency range of a sound track do not influence particle opacity very well., even if you do go up to dial up or down the corresponding attributes.

Truth be told - the internal properties of this specific function in Atomic Particles do require more explanation in the documentation. I can understand audio jargon, but if the developers can tell us how these specific attributes influence the range of behaviors available (example, Opacity works better when sounds are ....)

Otherwise,  it just feels waaaaaay too experimental. 

Comments

• connierlawsonconnierlawson Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I feel the same, it could be slightly more briefed on.

Regards,

Connie R. Lawson

• DimipapaDimipapa Website User Posts: 267 Enthusiast

Mmh.  I will say the audio interaction they show in the promo videos looked awesome.  This video from majahr was impressive too.

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 321 Enthusiast

@Dimipapa

No one doubts how good this effect is. My only complaint is that we don't have proper documentation on how audio properties specifically react to audio .Like what influences particle opacity? Bass? Treble? That kind of stuff. 

• connierlawsonconnierlawson Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    edited September 6

Yes as I felt this could be so perfect way.

Regards,

Connie R. Lawson {Suspicious link removed}

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 321 Enthusiast

^Am I looking at a bot here?

@Triem23

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 3,943 Moderator

@connierlawson Your latest post contained a link that didn't seem germane to the discussion, so I have removed it. Typically we see this unusual posting as bot behavior, but since your account was created over a month ago and not the very same instant of the posts I don't think anything else is necessary at this time.

• benedict_roffmarshbenedict_roffmarsh Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

These tracks vignettes all rely heavily on Atomic Particles:

Yes, I agree that there could be some more Documentation of what is really happening with audio interaction/keying.

The way I took it was that one slider sets the base frequency at which the key "listens" and the bandwidth sets how wide the catch is. Simple enough.

If you feed the system a whole mix, it will hear everything. Your brain may be focusing on the Kik but the key hears everything equally. You may try to focus that by saying, "oh i'll set the freq to 60 Hz and the band to 100 Hz" but the key:

• a) still hears the bass and rumble in the strings which reduces the clarity of the kik
    • b) the lower the bass of the Kik the slower it is so while the click of the Kik may be immediate at 1 kHz, the 60 hz doesn't develop for several milliseconds so it seems late.

The latter is fixable with the timing slider (again somewhat vague) but the better solution if you absolutely need to key from one instrument is to export a Dry Stem from your mix for the part you want as a key and don't send it to the Master so we still only hear the Mixdown.

:-)