De-Aging software

feyiadebanjofeyiadebanjo StaffAdministrator, Website User Posts: 30 Staff

How do you filmmakers and movie buffs feel about the use of anti-aging software? Some say it's revolutionary, some say it makes the actor's face look weirdly smooth. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 17,779 Ambassador

It's always tricky when flashbacks have to happen with a character. There's re-casting, which is jarring because "that's not the same person!" There's makeup/hair dye which just looks like makeup and hair dye... Finally there's CG de-aging which always looks like a skin smoother plug in cranked up too high.

The digital de-aging might get there in another couple of years but a lot of it is just getting the artists and directors to be subtle. It's overdone and looks terrible almost every time. 

Reminds me of a photo shoot I did for a musician. Ultimately I was fired and replaced with another photographer because I flat out refused to remove the guy's wrinkles completely. He was freaking 50 and wanted to look like a 20 year old. Ugh. "Kenny, you're a country guy. You're supposed to look a little weathered like you've been riding in the elements and squinting into the sun."

Another fun fact. Kevin Costner's ego inflated the budget of Waterworld. Kevin didn't wanna wear a toupee because he was in denial about his thinning hair. Once he started seeing dailies he got all insecure about his thinning hair and made the VFX guys thicken it in post. In the 1990's... Before digital hair sims were a thing. Roto artists probably spent a year repainting his hair because the man's vanity refused to let him wear a wig or show his bald spot.

I kinda count that as the first "digital de-aging."

• janehoop123janehoop123 Website User Posts: 2

you say   "He was freaking 50 and wanted to look like a 20 year old. Ugh. "Kenny, you're a country guy. You're supposed to look a little weathered like you've been riding in the elements and squinting into the sun."    who are you or anyone else to say what is "supposed" to be?   nearly every powerful editing software have tutorials on THEIR  retouch add ons or why bother sell them?  we can talk about ethics all day but this kind of add on can actually help people in careers for example friends and family asking you to subtly (or more) make an anniversary or wedding video "a little more special" and who will pay you to do this    there are so many boys with toys comic book sci fi etc etc tutorials that iv seen here but NONE on one of the add ons that you sell    beautify

• janehoop123janehoop123 Website User Posts: 2

actually iv been looking around and its pretty difficult to do   only people with expertise and talent and the proper gadgets on an editor can pull it off    nothing wrong with a bit of skin softening though i suppose   oh well