How do i use custom transition?

I know how to create one, i just dont think i use to correct workflow for them.

Right now if i want to add a custom transition at a point in my timeline, i cut the video clips before and after the transition time. I also cut the audio to fit the timing to it. I add all 3 to a comp shot, create the transition, delete the cut clips from the timeline and replace them with my comp shot, delete the comp shot's audio to avoid duplicates.

Any better way to do this?

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,806 Staff

@animangovideo I think if you make a custom transition this way you will be unable to reuse the composite shot. What is the exact effect you're trying to achieve? Someone on the forum may be able to assist you.

• animangovideo
    animangovideo Website User Posts: 8

@TheBenNorris Sometimes i want a shake transition (like in this video), and sometimes i just want to make wipe/dissolve transitions that are just a little bit different then what the effects panel offers.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,806 Staff

@animangovideo I see. Perhaps someone else on the forum can offer another approach to this. I think the only way that could improve your current workflow would be for a potential improvement to transition controls?

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,181 Moderator

This method that @FilmSensei used seems to be one of the better methods. 

@TheBenNorris I do agree that there’s room for improvement on transitions, particularly in building and implementing custom transitions. I made a bit of a proposal a while back on the wishlist thread.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,256 Ambassador

Sensei's Tutorial covers Set Matte, which is essential to learn. 

Remember, you can also make any translation with black and white animations. Clever Tagline has fantastic tutorials on his channel and as a guest presenter for FXHOME. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,842 Ambassador

@Triem23 That is exactly correct. In fact, ProductionCrate has a bunch of other transitions that can be used by simply keying an alpha matte out of the colors in the original transition.

@animangovideo is specifically asking about the work flow of adding these kind of "home made" transitions into a project. His work flow is cumbersome, but will work every time. There are certain transitions that I could envision creating that wouldn't necessarily need that work flow, or even a Comp shot for that matter. Others that I could envision would. The good news is that most projects don't require all kinds of crazy transitions. :)

• animangovideo

TheBenNorris  it seems like i am unable to make long replies. Any way to fix this?

• TheBenNorris

@animangovideo I don't see why you cannot, there is no post limit. The forum has an issue where sometimes it will delete your post, I'm not sure why.

• animangovideo

@TheBenNorris oh apparently it says "Your comment will appear after it is approved". Guess i just have to wait.

• animangovideo

TheBenNorris Better transition controls (for built-in transitions) would remove the need for some custom transitions. When actually making a custom transition, i think what could help is better integration between the editor timeline and the comp shot editor. like making them copy-paste compatible, allow converting multi shots into a single comp shot, or even converting a chunk of the editor into a comp shot.
    in Davinci resolve, for example, you can convert multi shots into a single comp shot. Using this plus their node-based interface makes re-using a custom transition a breeze, as shown in THIS VIDEO.

triforcefx This workflow is similar to mine. It is a bit simpler coz the transition consists of covering up the previous shot, so you dont have to add the previous shot into the comp shot. But that could save me some time in the future. Thanks!

Triem23 I looked at his videos, and its the same as in FilmSensei's case. He talks about how to create, not how to use.

@FilmSensei That is good to know. Do you have any idea how to simplify this for a shake transition for example?

Thanks a lot everybody! You helped a bunch.