[New Release] HitFilm Express 14.0

StevenSpicerStevenSpicer StaffAdministrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 35 Staff

That’s right! The latest version of HitFilm Express has landed, and with it comes a brand new, simplified export process, new text controls, a ton of new functionality, and a streamlined interface.

Read more

Comments

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,787 Enthusiast
    edited January 16

I'm not sure what I can say anymore without repeating myself, but you guys are so great for providing such a great software for free (from our end :D). The light mode is a nice touch, I'm wondering how many will switch over to it, because I'm in the camp where I think dark looks too dark.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,846 Ambassador

Great news, remember if you are upgrading and u should, backup your project file. This way if you save it in 14 and for whatever find you need to go back to 13 you will still have a version that will be compatible with that version. Mind you rarely should you need to go back. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,202 Ambassador

@StevenSpicer Question: Will the new interface light theme style be changeable to the dark theme for people who are new to HitFilm and are downloading it for the first time in Version 14.1? The way it is written, it does not sound like it is.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,787 Enthusiast
    edited January 16

@FilmSensei It was dark upon launching Version 14.1 for the first time. It's easily changed in the options menu 

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,497 Staff

@FilmSensei sorry for any confusion caused - the blog post appears to be incorrect, and I'll try to get this updated - if you activated HitFilm Express prior to this update the default theme will be dark, but you can switch to light if you would like to via the options.

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,041 Moderator
    edited January 16

I didn't even realize this was a feature in 14.1 Pro! Or is it?  I can't seem to find it.

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 1,497 Staff

@tddavis light mode is the new default styling for express and is unavailable in Pro.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,202 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris So what you are saying is that any user, either a current or a future user, will be able to change themes? The blog post says...

"If you already have a pre-existing HitFilm Express license, you can change between the dark and light themes"

The implication is that if you do not have a pre-existing license, then you can't. I just want to verify this before someone asks me! :)

@FilmSensei new users only have access to light theme, unless they contribute to the pay what you want system upon downloading the software (whilst also snagging some cheap add on packs and donating to charity!). Existing users (that have express prior to now) will default to dark theme upon launch, and also have access to light theme if they do desire to use it.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator Posts: 5,224 Staff
    edited January 16

@FilmSensei - for brand new users, the Light Theme is what is provided. The Dark theme is available as an add-on. But for existing users who already have the dark interface in previous versions, the Dark theme is grandfathered in.

@TheBenNorris Ah, glad I hadn't messed up something then when I installed.

@AxelWilkinson Thank you for the clarification.

• alaska_vfx_filmeralaska_vfx_filmer Website User Posts: 443 Enthusiast
    edited January 17

Couple quick questions, Are the signup pack bundles a temporary offer? will it go away if I download express before a purchase/donation? also, Are they only for new users?

Although I did pick up pro at humble bundle, the pro updates only last 12 months ?

• AlexandrZhuravlevAlexandrZhuravlev Website User Posts: 2
    edited January 17

I'am old user (since HitFilm 4 Express (2016)), but after install HFE14 I am view light theme, and have not variant to switch to dark in options. How to return dark theme?

@AlexandrZhuravlev are you activated in the software?

• AlexandrZhuravlevAlexandrZhuravlev Website User Posts: 2

@TheBenNorris I made deactivation and activation again. It's help. Interface is dark again. Thanks for idea!

• GustavoKortGustavoKort Website User Posts: 1
    My hitfilm 14 constantly crashes in the playback, any solutions?
  • Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,655 Ambassador

@GustavoKort Please list your system specs.  Also, make sure your system is updated and that your GPU drivers are updated, as well.

• BethariBethari Website User Posts: 1
    edited January 21

I just wanted to say that I liked the old Hitfilm Express UI better. I miss the undo and save buttons in the toolbar and the separate tab for exporting things. I liked how it didn't automatically export (I like to pick a name for the video before exporting.)

Is there any way to get these functions back?

Never mind - I think I found a way to put the export window back.

Not meaning to be pushy, but could a staff member please answer my previous questions? ??

@LiamMcM1 I thought a member of marketing had answered your question, my apologies, it must have got missed among the other comments. These deals are not specifically for new users as far as I am aware, and I believe are always available through that page only.

• NickDevTeamNickDevTeam Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 35 Staff

@Bethari - If you go into Options -> Interface, there should be a checkbox "Show Quick Actions in Menu Bar", which should restore the Save and Undo/Redo buttons to the toolbar.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,024 Ambassador

@AlexandrZhuravlev I've deleted your post where you demonstrated your Hitfilm had been activated. The Screenshot showed your email address, and for reasons of your privacy, and erring on the side of GDRP compliance for FXHOME I decided to remove that post - especially as your issue has been resolved.

I'm just letting you know this so you have the option of removing the original image from whichever hosting site it's on as you won't need it anymore. ?

@TheBenNorris thanks, kind of figured I had just been missed, but I did want an answer ;-) 

• HannibalPhilHannibalPhil Website User Posts: 1
    Why is it that when i export my videos, i get the hitfilm express logo in front? How do i get rid of it?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,024 Ambassador

@HannibalPhil you have either failed to correctly activate your installation, and/or you are using effects from add-ons you haven't purchased.

You can check your activation by clicking the "Account" on this forum. Add-on effects have a green Add-on badge. 

• MerlinTheGreatMerlinTheGreat Website User Posts: 2
    with Hitfilm Express 2017 came free 'The Force' effects. What happens to them when I uninstall HFE 2017 and then install The new Hitfilm Express version?

@MerlinTheGreat Mine has carried over automatically through several upgrades of Express, so I assume that yours will also.  Just as a side note, you won't necessarily need to uninstall 2017 first.  It is the last version that was treated as separate installs and it put the program files into a specific folder different from the folder that Express 6 up to 14 uses.  If you so desire you can load 14 Express and leave 2017 on your system until you are sure everything carried over.  You might need to deactivate 2017 in your account settings though before you install 14 for the activation to operate correctly on 14 on that I am not sure.  I never exported from my Express version, just troubleshot projects for users here.  Hope this helps you out.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator Posts: 5,224 Staff

The free "The Force" effects offered with HitFilm Express 2017 during our Start Wars campaign back in the day will remain enabled on any future versions you register, but those effects are almost all included in the free software now. We released more advanced versions of the Lightsword plugins, at which point the basic lightsword effects were rolled into the free software, and the Lightsword Ultra effects became the add-ons. Lightning is also in the free license now. I can't remember what else was included in that specific bundle, now.

• MerlinTheGreatMerlinTheGreat Website User Posts: 2

OK, thanks guys.

This discussion has been closed.