[SOLVED] Exported mp4 files, playback just black screen

HitFilmer181780HitFilmer181780 Website User Posts: 4
edited December 2019 in HitFilm

So I set down today to try out my updated Hitfilm Pro 14. When I do my Export I can see the video in the small export window as it is saving. Yet when I open the finished file to play the video all there is, is a black screen.

I have tried multiply times, different files, no good.

My past saved mp4 videos from the last version of Hitfilm still play fine.

I have updated my Nivida graphics cards, although I didn't really think that was the problem.

I'm still using the same computer as the last version of Hitfilm and did not have this problem.

Has anyone had this problem or knows what I need to do to fix it?

Thank you,

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator Posts: 5,224 Staff

What are you opening the file in? If you import he file back into HitFilm, does it display there?

My guess is that your newer exports use an H.264 Level of 5.2, and your video player is an older program which does not support that newer H.264 spec.

If so, try using a different video player, such as VLC, or try exporting your files from HitFilm using a Level of 5.1. Either option should eliminate the problem.

• HitFilmer181780HitFilmer181780 Website User Posts: 4

Greetings Axel,

Thank you for the quick response. I will try your recommendations immediately and see what works.

I will let you know.

Thank you again,

AL

edited December 2019

Hi Axel,

So here is what I have found out:

When I import the new mp4 file Level 5.2 into the Hitfilm editor, the video plays, but the composite special effects do not work.

When I import an older mp4 file Level 4.2 into the Hitfilm editor, both the video and the special effects plays.

When I import a new mp4 file at the old Level 4.2 into the Hitfilm editor,only the video plays and not the special effects.

I have tried saving new mp4's at Profile Levels: 5.2, 5.1, 5.0 & 4.2, the videos play but not the special effects.

The same situation holds true in my other video editing software.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro, but I was not having this problem until I ungraded Hitfilm Pro to 14.

I don't know if reloading Pro 14 might help or if I should go back to the last version or if something else is going on.

Hope you have some possible further recommendations.

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

AL

Hello again,

Just wanted to let you know that I created a new Project file and a new composite from scratch with FX and it plays fine in Hitfilm and my other editing software, including at Profile Level 5.2.

So am up and running.

Thank you,

AL

This discussion has been closed.