Alpha channel - as a video render?

AAVFX
AAVFX Website User Posts: 36
edited May 2019 in HitFilm

Hi, Quick Q:

Can I export the Alpha channel as a video by itself, without the RGB?

Thanks.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,595 Ambassador

Not that I can think of. Closest way that comes to mind would be to drop a Fill Color on everything (white) and drop in a black plane in the BG. That would give you a grayscale render to use as a Set Matte source. 

But  given the insane things you do, I can see that being tedious to set up. 

At the moment, none of the formats in the Export Queue offer A-only Export. Maybe add this to the Wishlist? 

• AAVFX

Cha, Cha, Triem23... I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Sanity is only a matter of perspective. Thanks, byw.

You can view the Alpha channel, it's a shame you can't export it.

It could help me a lot with delivering animations to clients by 2 simple Mp4 exports:

1. RBG,

2. Alpha

This can dramatically reduce the file size of MOV+Alpha or PNG sequence required.  

I've found myself transferring 8G for 1min. to a client with Cineform 12bit - It seems too much for me.

Have a pleasant day, Amitai.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,595 Ambassador

@AAVFX certainly a compliment. You do some of the most elaborate Hitfilm work I've seen, and your love for massive particle systems.... I'll just assume your computer(s) are significantly more powerful than mine. :)

Perhaps adding a Wishlist item for being able to export channel only would be a good thing? I'd +1 that. It's not something that most users would ever think of, but for anyone trying to create stock elements with transparency, it would be a very helpful option. Other software does allow for A-channel only export, so I guess it depends on what libraries FXHOME is using for export modules? Certainly a lot of stock footage online comes in mp4 with a greyscale alpha animation for a Set Matte.

• zach_alan
    zach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 443 Enthusiast

Have you tried adding the Matte Cleaner effect set to view the Alpha channel, maybe on a grade layer or an embedded comp? Not sure if it works for particles and things but I think it can be rendered...

• Triem23

@ZachAlan_Productions huh. If that works - putting Matte Cleaner on a grade layer and rendering the matte output - then that's a flipping brilliant pull! Nicely speculated. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,988 Ambassador

@Triem23 @ZachAlan_Productions I don't see why that wouldn't work. If not on a Grade Layer, you could always drag the entire Comp into a new Comp and do it there, right? Instant black and white mp4 alpha clip... that's a really good idea!

• zach_alan
    edited May 2019

I can confirm now that this does work. Tried it using a grade layer over a particle system with lifetime alpha, motion blur, and a zoom blur effect. All Alpha changes appear in the Matte Cleaner and I know it can be rendered out. Cool!

• Triem23

@ZachAlan_Productions well... That's the best Hitfilm tip of 2019 so far! *High five emoji* I think you'll make Amitai's day as soon as he sees your tip!

• AAVFX

Yep!  I've tried it, and it worked - You're the best, guys! Thanks everyone!   :)

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,900 Moderator

@ZachAlan_Productions Congrats to you!  It's that kind of out-the-box thinking that you and other guys do so well that would never in an infinite number of years occur to me.  Heck, I barely understand the whole concept of an alpha render :)

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,988 Ambassador

@Triem23 +1 to your comment! I vote that so far in 2019, that is the best HitFilm tip. It's going to be hard to come up with something better than this, but I am sure that @ZachAlan_Productions is up to the task! :)

• zach_alan

@Triem23 @FilmSensei @tddavis @AAVFX

Thanks everyone, glad I could help!

Now to finally finish that Endgame title tutorial...

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!