Action pencil for android

DreamArchitect
DreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

When can we expect to see action pencil for android devices. Gone are the days when you can release for just the iOS platform. 

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,181 Moderator

FXHome rarely gives a timeline for future updates, especially when the latest version just released.

That being said (mind you, this is only speculation) I would guess that an Android version is in the works unless there is iPhone-specific hardware that the app uses (I haven't played with it to know if there is).

In any case, even in 2019, many major apps still release on iOS first. That's just the way it is. Perhaps because comparatively, there's only a handful of hardware that has to be supported. 

Even for their desktop software, FXHome's dev team is quite small. Typicaly that means you can only build for one platform at a time when first starting something like this. (For instance, it took a few major versions of HitFilm before they could get it on Mac) 

If you do want Android support, let them know! It may already be their #1 priority, but if it isn't, then the more people that want it will help them get it out sooner rather than much later.

• DreamArchitect

I'm aware of all of these things. I'm especially aware of what it's like to be in an under resourced and over stretched dev team. It's my daily life.

Many major apps release on both ios and android at the same time these days. There are frameworks out there that let you develop for numerous platforms at the same time while sharing up to 90% of the code. So it can be done, and reasonably easily these days. While the pen support needs to be hardware specific, touch input is not so restrictive.

Not giving a release date is one thing (and the recent delays in hitfilm 12 won't make the guys any more inclined to give dates for sure) but that doesn't mean you can't let users know you are working on something. Even if it is a long time away. After all, action pro was released not even half finished and has only just recently reached v1. Inconsistent approaches lead to user confusion. Anyway I asked the question. Perhaps someone with more intimate knowledge could confirm or deny what @Triforcefx is saying?

• IamJoshuaDavies
    IamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 359 Staff

We're in a better place for developing, beta testing and fixing on iOS at the moment (hence it'll be released there first) but it shouldn't be very long before we find our way to Android too as there are no technical reasons we're aware of which would stop it. :)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,247 Ambassador

Well, yeah... With iProduct there's just a much smaller pool of capabilities and a smaller amount of iOS revisions to test for. Android gives the eternal variables of a wider range of active OS revisions, CPUs, GPUs, RAM, screen resolution, etc, etc, etc.

(@DreamArchitect you know that's the reason all the Apple Stuff comes out first despite Apple - globally - having only 20% of the mobile market and 5% of the computer market... But it's easier to optimize for their limited hardware pools. ;-) )

• DreamArchitect

Thanks @IamJoshuaDavies for the info. That's all I needed to hear. As I said A release date is not necessary, Just to know that it's in the pipeline is all I need really.