Windows 10 - The Agony

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Posts: 1,628 Enthusiast
edited April 2018 in General

Posted in "Everything Else" because I'm to my wits end with the piece-o-crap Windows 10. Makes me love me Mac even more.!

I'm having a problem with the forced updated. Hate that...cant turn it off either. The update is failing at 1709 - about 100 times now. No matter what I do the Windows Updater keeps re-runing even though I have forced "No Updates". I've run the Windows update Trouble shooter and it applies it's fixes...but in the end the damn updater runs again and again and again.

Do you folks have any ideas, outside of donating the entire system to Goodwill, what one can do to stop this insane behavior? 

Apoligies for posting a question like this in a VFX forum :-(

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,794 Ambassador

This is why I'm still on Win7.  I have Win 10 at the office and it pissed me off daily.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited April 2018

Sure! Donate it to me instead ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Are you getting any failure codes or does it just do its thing and end up doing a rollback on reboot?

One simple thing to look for - Check for a Windows RE (Recovery Environment) on your Windows drive. I don't mean a recovery environment partition here. Sometimes, for some unknown reason, Windows will install an RE along side Windows on the system drive with the permissions set so the Win upgrader can't move it to Windows.Old and the upgrade fails. 

The other thing to do is start checking logs. Make sure you can see hidden files and folders, and start in C;\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther with setupact.log and setuperr.log. You can also check C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback for info on what's happening during the rollback.

• GrayMotion
    edited April 2018

It keeps rolling back on reboot..... and from what I've discovered from the Gate's Cabal is they don't even recognize it's an issue. If it weren't for the GPU issues with circa 2017 iMac's ( just can't yet bring myself to the new iMac Pro low end for 5k) I'd drop this 3k+ paper weight in a heart beat. @Aladdin4d - Thanks for the tips..I'll get on this asap.

• Aladdin4d

@GrayMotion Another thought or two - If you're using a third party anti-virus instead of Windows Defender, uninstall it before trying again. 

Check your system file integrity with DISM. Open an Admin command prompt and run the following commands one at a time:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Last but not least, for now anyway, clean up the driver cache. Sometimes it can't be migrated and that causes a failure. Run this in an Admin command prompt:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out

@GrayMotion for what it's worth I feel your pain: I have the exact same problem on my home Windows machine. I've wasted entire days going through the troubleshooting steps listed on various websites including the suggestions above, but nothing makes it happy.

I've resigned to the fact that I need to format and reinstall Windows, just waiting for the end of a critical project.

In the meantime, it's a daily challenge to kill the "Windows Update Assistant" tool when it launches and before it finishes downloading the broken update and starting the compulsory "restart 3 times and waste an hour before failing" procedure.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,186 Enthusiast

@GrayMotion Go to this website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/   and download the  Create Windows 10 installation media.   It will update the windows 10 like before.  It will not wipe everything off.   Then go back and update your updates that you couldnt do before.   Then restart your device.   After this your device will be updated.    I had the same problem and it worked. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,693 Ambassador

@Andersen01498 I might have to do what you've suggested for @GrayMotion myself. I also moved to Windows 10 recently and the sheer misery of the experience for me is already dotted around this forum. 

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,186 Enthusiast

@Triem23 I highly suggest it 

• Aladdin4d

@Andersen01498 @Triem23 @GrayMotion Using the Media Creation Tool is a step to try but the success rate using installation media to update is only slightly better than the normal way to update. On the plus side you might actually get a clue as to why the update is failing.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,213 Enthusiast
    edited April 2018

The SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows may have gotten corrupted. At least the database in that folder. Clearing that out may help.  It is not quite as simple as deleting the folder/file. One needs to stop a service to unprotect the folder(s) in the Software Distribution folder. I don't remember enough to list the steps but Google is your friend.

I once saw some excessive disk activity on an idle machine. Tracked that down to that folder. Google was my friend. I'm not sure if that was Windows 7 or Window 10 on my machine at the time. Probably 7 given I think it was a while ago.

• GrayMotion
    edited April 2018

Ok....as @DanielGWood said...I've tried everything mentioned in this thread but nothing seems to make the OS happy.

Here is how I stopped that idiotic push upgrade app.

1) Uninstall 3rd party anti-virus as @Aladdin4d mentioned.
    2) Uninstall Windows Update Assistant and deleted the WindowsUpdateAssitant folder.
    3) In services -  Windows Update app...stop the service and then set startup trigger type to manual or disabled.
    4) Boot in safe mode: Delete the entire SoftwareDistrubution folder that @NormanPCN mentioned.
    4) Reboot
    5) Reinstall 3rd party anti virus

The culprit appears to be the Fall Creator Update (1709). Apparently short of a fresh install with the the copy of the OS that contains the Creator Update specifically...the darn thing just goes in a loop. I didn't do what @Anderson01498 suggested as I really don't think the Fall Creator update is necessary.

It's been 144 hours plus and not once has the "Push" update app reared it's ugly head. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,202 Expert

@GrayMotion Not be the bearer of bad news but... Windows 10 Spring Creators Update is about to drop on the 10th of this month...  While I haven't had any problems with my Win 10 upgrade until recently; it all came home to roost in the past few week.  Luckily for me none of the problems I've had are what you've been dealing with though.

• GrayMotion

@tddavis - It looks like I've effectively stopped ALL updates from coming in which is just fine by me. I don't need updates every month! Things like this really drive an ole mans blood pressure up. 

• tddavis

I feel your pain there!  When mine went squirrelly a few weeks ago I thought it was the NVIDIA driver update and sure enough a,week later the replaced that update then the network card suddenly wouldn't connect so I went and got one of those usb connectors then it's been doing random lock ups and shutdowns...  I've been pulling my hair out (not that there's much to pull)  Ran some windows maintenance tasks and checks and it,seems to have settled somewhat.  If this 4/10 update doesn't help it or kill it, I'm thinking about switching to an new hard drive and a clean install back to my 8.1. Time will tell...

• GrayMotion

@tddavis - Have you tried to rollback one update? Might cure your affliction.
    As for the Nvidia drivers.....no matter what/who's updater is trying to do what I personnaly would only trust the drivers directly from the vendor.

Just a thought sir.

• tddavis

@GrayMotion Absolutely!  I tried to figure out how to do that but since I use the "Geforce Experience" to update I could not find a location where it downloads the drivers prior to installing them so I could try to rollback.  I wish it was like Hitfilm and let me compile quite the library of old installation files.  I had a copy of Xmedia Recode get a bad update once and I started keeping the current version download and the one that was just working ever since.

• GrayMotion

You can find all the downloaded drivers in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Downloader.

They are in their individual folders with super long character names like 0fd061b6-ee66-45b3-9eb3-a70a903a3725

If you don't see the ProgramData folder make sure to select View/Hidden Items

• tddavis

Oh, that's a really useful tip.  I didn't have a clue where it stored them and I didn't poke deep enough, I guess.  I will definitely check that out.

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out

@GrayMotion well done on going the extra mile to kill the update assistant. I'm still playing the "kill it as soon as it launches" game. One more week on my freelance project then I can wipe the OS and reinstall..

Unfortunately at some point we'll have to get the update as I imagine they'll require it for security updates. To be clear I've nothing against Windows updates in principle, and I recognise the job they're doing (range of devices, configurations, corrupted OS installs, myriad other issues) is very hard, I just resent having a broken update repeatedly forced down my throat :)