Grading multiple layers?

Lars_HLars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast
Maybe this is a very stupid question?
(I'm sure it is mentioned somewhere but I can't find it.)
How do you color grade all layers by just choosing one preset?
(I don't want do it separately on every layer.)
In CompositeLab and VisionLab I do it by dragging a "preset" and placing it on a layer on top of everything.
I bet it is very simple but I just can't get it to work i Hitfilm.

Comments

• MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 556 Enthusiast
    Hi.
    Just place a "grade"layer on top of all other layers and place the desired effect on that, e.g. the color effect.
    Regards,
    Marc
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    To clarify, you can create a Grade Layer from the "New Layer" menu at the top of the timeline area, in any composite shot.
  • Lars_HLars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast
    Sorry, but I still don't get it.
    If I create a Grade Layer from the "New Layer" menu at the top of the timeline area,
    the new layer affects just the upper layer and not the other layers below.
    I just want to do what was so easy i CompLab, dragging a "film style" and placing it on top so that all layers below get the same treatment.
  • MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 556 Enthusiast
    Hi.
    I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but take a look at the following screenshot:
    [img]http://hitfilm.monkeybits.de/community/forum/images/gradelayers.jpg[/img]
    Here, the gradelayer grades all layers below, i.e. Text Layer 1 & 2. You can also have images or videos instead, which will be graded.
    Regards,
    Marc
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Yep, a grade layer will affect everything below it. What type of layer do you have below the grade layer which isn't being affected?
    Another way this can be done it to apply a effect to the Composite Shot as a whole, in its parent timeline. So in the the screenshot that Majahr provided, for example, you could add the comp shot to the Editor timeline, then, in the editor, drag the effect you want to use onto the composite shot. This could also happen within a second composite shot, rather than the editor, but the principle is the same.
  • Lars_HLars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast
    Hi!
    Somehow I missed the basics of making composite shots.
    I did separate composite shots for each layer (often 3-4 different comp-shots on top of a background video)
    Then I watched the result in Edit mode. And there I couldn't add a new grade layer.
    That's how stupid I was.
    But thanks to You, I am not that stupid anymore.
    Thanks
    Lars H
    Hehe, no worries, everybody is going to have a learning curve with new software. Glad you got it figured out though. And never stop asking questions when you don't understand something, that's how all of us learn, and we are here to help.