2 HOURS - Short Zombie Film - Production Thread (COMPLETE!)

miker
miker Website User Posts: 9
edited October 2012 in Practical Filmmaking
[size="5"]2 HOURS, my no-budget zombie short film, is finally complete![/size]

2 HOURS is a post-apocalyptic action thriller, telling the story of a lone survivor, who finds himself infected with the virus. The film follows his journey of survival, with only 2 HOURS to obtain the cure. This short was created with no-budget, with a skeleton crew of only three people. 2 HOURS was shot entirely on a single Canon T2i, with only two lenses, and extremely limited gear.
The film has been submitted to Sundance and Slamdance, and we are looking to enter into a number of other film festivals. If you'd like to show your support for the film, or would like a copy of the film on DVD, please visit our Indiegogo page ― all proceeds will go directly towards film festival submissions for 2 HOURS.
http://indiegogo.com/2HOURSthemovie
Director: Michael Ballif
Writer: Josh Merrill
Starring: Josh Merrill & Brooke Hemsath
Production Designer: Allen Bradford
Producers: Michael Ballif & Josh Merrill
Original Score: Keaton Anderson
Editor/Visual Effects Artist: Michael Ballif
Special Make-up Effects: Allen Bradford
Sound Editor/Designer: Josh Merrill
http://2HOURSthemovie.com
http://facebook.com/2HOURSthemovie

Please contact [email protected] for additional information.

Comments

• Froi
    Froi Website User Posts: 966
    It actually seems like it is a good, original zombie film, not just the usuall I am legend thing. I loved it alot! Especially the make up
  • SpectrOdrake Corp.
    SpectrOdrake Corp. Website User Posts: 135
    great teaser man !
    I subs , looking forward ! ;)
  • mercianfilm
    mercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    This looks absolutely stunning! Every shot is well framed and beautiful- as beautiful as people being ripper apart and shot can be :D I love the colours of the locations and costumes they look brilliant. Those mountains look amazing and add such originality and vision to this. I like the narrators voice over as well- especially as he says the tagline at the end, really great stuff.
    I've been glued to every update you did on the fxhome forums and it's the same over here, cannot wait for the release of this and congratulations also on this- it looks incredible.
    Sam
  • Aculag
    Aculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Glad to see this is still making progress. Looks excellent!
  • Darren
    Darren Website User Posts: 164
    Looks Great - Shared the link on my FB
  • miker
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! This project has been a complete bitch, to say the least - but we're still working at it every day until it's complete. The plan is to begin posting weekly video's about the film, behind the scene's clips, and eventually the film itself - once it's all ready. We'll be posting the official trailer, which will announce the release date in due time. Thanks again to all those who have showed interest in the project. It's been a long road, but we're getting closer and closer!
  • miker
    For those who may still be interested in following this project, I just wanted to announce that it is still very much alive and in-progress. We've posted a small sneak peek video, which you can see here:

If you are interested in following the status of this project, be sure to like our facebook page and subscribe to us on youtube! Thank you all for the continued support.
    http://www.facebook.com/2HOURSthemovie

http://www.2HOURSthemovie.com (coming soon)
  • DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    very interesting - looking forward , footage looks great!
  • SketchWork
    SketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    Love the concept of this - will be keeping an eye on this project.
    Justin
  • F.C.Rabbath
    F.C.Rabbath Website User Posts: 50
    Great work. I like the video game feel. Worked on a project like that recently. Yours is way smoother. GOOD WORK!
  • Aculag
    Cool man, looks like all your work on this is really going to pay off. Very slick.
  • miker
    It's a great relief to see that people on these boards are still interested in seeing the final result of this project. It's tough to keep people interested in something that's been in the works for about a year and a half. So seriously, thank you all. Hopefully the time and efforts really shine through in what we've come up with.
  • miker
    edited May 2012
    Just a quick update - we were recently featured on an episode of ZURVIVED. Pretty cool stuff. Have a look!
  • miker
    Though this thread has been dead for a while, production on the film certainly hasn't. I'm VERY excited to say that we have officially submitted a cut to Sundance. What does this mean? The film is finally complete. Because production has lasted so long on this beast (over a year and a half in the making), we want to be sure to release the film online in the most appropriate and well-thought-out way.
    This post is simply to say this. Hey guys, we're finished! 2 HOURS is coming. Stay tuned.
    http://facebook.com/2HOURSthemovie
  • miker
    edited September 2012
    After nearly two years in the making, I am incredibly pleased to announce that 2 HOURS is finally complete! Any feedback on the film would be greatly appreciated!
  • Aculag
    edited October 2012
    How has no one commented on this yet??
    All your hard work definitely paid off. That was brilliantly done. Everything really comes together very nicely, with some excellent cinematography, locations, and acting, plus the original score. Really great work on this. I particularly enjoyed all the POV shots, which aren't usually done so well, in my opinion. Maybe this wasn't the intent, but it gave it a sort of video-gamey vibe; especially combined with the dreamy, drugged-out sounding VO, it made for a very captivating piece. Hard to believe you did this with a very low budget, because a lot of it is very professionally executed.
    Fantastic work, and I wish you the best of luck in the festival circuit. :)
    Ps. You might want to change the thread title to get people in here who otherwise might still think there's only a teaser to be seen.
  • Darren
    Darren Website User Posts: 164
    This was a very well made short. The look, mood and sound was just superb. I really liked the locations and cinematography was top notch.
    Makeup and effects were also on par with some of what we see on The Walking Dead series.
    Congratulations to you and the crew!
  • 3dmus
    3dmus Website User Posts: 117
    Sir, I take my hat off. This was incredible. I must have watched over 200 zombie (/related) movies, but this -especially for a no/low budget one- took me by surprise. I expected the usual (for a low/no-budget movie), crap(-ish) acting, crap directing etc...but still enjoyable gore. Instead I got a very well shot movie (VERY well), fab editing, , solid acting, great sound & score, great story etc.
    Bottom line for me, litmus test is as to whether or not I skip through, am tempted to open another tab to browse the news whilst watching a movie etc...None of this! I was glued to the screen.
    Again, hats off.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I have to agree with everyone, that this is a very good independent/no budget film. Quite an achievement to come out with something with such consistent quality with that length of time. It was very well done in a lot of ways. The directing was solid, locations were solid, the script/story was solid, the cinematography was solid, the sound/music was solid, the editing was solid, and the visual effects, whether practical or digital, were very good as well.
    I would also agree, for the most part, that the acting was solid. I think your actors/actresses did a very good job, particularly the child zombie. However the voice over didn't work for me. Not because I didn't like what he had to say but I didn't relate to how he said it. It seemed kinda flat to me, on an emotional level. I really enjoyed the writing on this but something in the execution fell flat for me. Then again, maybe I'm the only one.
    Other than that I thought it was fantastic. I watched the full thing, all the way through, without being tempted to turn it off or venture to something else. It was very engaging. I think that, for what it was, and how long it was, it was quite an achievement. Great work, glad to see this finally completed! :)
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    Another echo on the previous statements - great job on this. Glad Aculag pulled it up otherwise I'd missed it after waiting for it to release!
  • Aculag
    However the voice over didn't work for me. Not because I didn't like what he had to say but I didn't relate to how he said it. It seemed kinda flat to me, on an emotional level. I really enjoyed the writing on this but something in the execution fell flat for me. Then again, maybe I'm the only one.
    I didn't like the voiceover much at first, but once I realized it was the internal monologue of someone on the verge of becoming a zombie, it made a lot of sense. It started out being something I wasn't sure about, and became one of my favorite things about the short.
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    Snap. I was urging him to spit out the words but then eventually I realised he was based towards the end of the film so it made a lot of sense. Once I understood this I really didn't mind it - funny how that works!
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,956 Ambassador
    This was really great. Loved it. Awesome job. :D
  • miker
    edited October 2012
    Thanks guys! It really makes me happy to see the film receive this kind of response on the forums. This film has been a major part of my life for the past two years, and has become very personal to me. Releasing such a project is incredibly nerve-racking, to say the least. I cannot begin to tell you on how many occasions I've asked myself why I'm even still continuing to work on this project. We reached rock-bottom in the motivational department many, many times throughout the course of production. But to me, this film is a testament to what hard work, perseverance, and dedication are capable of - as long as you have the passion to push through the rough patches. The film has received a fantastic response online thus far, and now we're gearing up for our film festival run in the next couple of months.
    Speaking of which, we've just announced our fundraising project for 2 HOURS, created to move 2 HOURS forward into a number of major film festivals. Film Festival submissions are a huge part in a short film's success, and play a key role in what we're going to be able to do next as filmmakers. If you'd like to see us move forward on to much bigger and better productions, please consider supporting us in raising money for these film festival entry fee's.
    This also allows us to offer high quality DVD's and BluRay's (as well as a number of other great perks) for a very limited time only. If you enjoyed the film, and believe it can do pretty well in some of these major film festivals, please consider helping us out. Anything helps.
    http://www.indiegogo.com/2HOURSthemovie
  • miker
    edited October 2012
    The voice-over is probably the number one aspect of the film that we struggled with, believe it or not. What you hear in the final film is probably the 20th version of overall voice-over that we experimented with. The problem we ran into, is none of the voice-over was really planned in the shooting script of the film. This poses for some major issues, when it comes to telling a coherent story - and honestly, is bad filmmaking. We essentially re-wrote the entire plot of the film in post-production, resulting in much of the footage being cut out of context from what our original plan was. Every single line of voice-over was conceived this way, in efforts to tell the story in a way that made sense. Originally, the film was going to feature very minimal voice-over, but we realized that the film felt incredibly bare without it. We were also missing dramatic tension, and a reason why our survivor was going the direction he chose. Through this process of "therapeutic recovery" in post-production, we were actually able to find many key elements the film was missing, and used the voice-over to portray these connections in a much more clear manner. Considering the way this film worked out, I'm incredibly proud of the fact that we managed to create a story that actually makes sense, has deep emotional ties/connections, and comes across in an ambiguous, yet coherent way. Future projects will spend MUCH more time in the writing process of the film. If anything, this film taught me the importance of pre-production, which essentially didn't exist with 2 HOURS.