The Avengers

Comments

• Read the same thing yesterday. Watching Serenity, the "cinematic quality" wasn't something that crossed my mind at any point through enjoying the film so much. The extended teaser trailer showed promise of the same thing, but then you have shot like where Iron Man is flying up through the explosion - that looks pretty cinematic to me!
    I've also heard that there will be a new trailer next week in front of John Carter, so we'll see.
  • I think the aspect ratio, more than anything else, is making it look uncinematic. All the previous Marvel movies were shot at 2.35 : 1, but The Avengers was shot at 1.85 : 1. The "un-letterboxed" look, I think, is giving it a bit of that "television" look. The lighting and framing is fine... I'm just a little turned off by the "fullscreen" look.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    I still remember the days when all home video was 4:3 pan and scan. Eurgh.
  • Darren
    Darren Maui, HawaiiPosts: 164 Enthusiast
    Thank God those days are gone Simon.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,016 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2012
    Rumour has it a new trailer has landed.. it will be about 5 hours before it's buffered here though.
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/
    EDIT: Bit of a Transformers vibe there, but I liked it, fairly epic.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited February 2012
    Aaaaaaaaaand..... that's awesome. Gonna be brilliant. Lots of new fantastic stuff in this trailer. Nice to finally get a glimpse of some immense action involving teamwork between the Avengers. Looking forward to seeing more of that in the actual film. Plus, Black Widow does more than just stand there in this one! One thing you can count on from Whedon: he is going to take full advantage of any opportunity to have his female characters get into the action.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 779 Just Starting Out
    The new trailer looks amazing. Hulk catching Ironman was awesome.
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 135
    It's a shame they have now changed the name of the film for us Brits. Apparently we would all get confused with the old 60's spy series so now its Avengers Assemble. It Just sounds stupid. Still love what I've seen except for the Transformers snake. I hope we get a decent alien race which still may or may not be skrulls.
  • Damn, that was awesome! If I wasn't excited before, I sure am now. Any reservations I had about this not looking "cinematic" enough are totally gone now. Great, great, great, trailer.
    I wonder what Andrew thinks now? :P
  • RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Posts: 610 Just Starting Out*
    Other than not looking cinematic enough (as I already knew from the other trailers), I think this look awesome. The tone and content of the movie are fine, for me it's the cinematography that feels like nothing special. For example, put this with Transformers 3 (I'm comparing the 2 since they look alike) and you realize how much this looks like a TV show.
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 378 Enthusiast
    I wonder what Andrew thinks now? :P
    The same. Meh. Uninspired and boring, with a cringe-worthy 'overserious' silly-looking feel to it all.
    I dunno, just don't at all care for this. Looks bad.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited February 2012
    For me it doesn't look like a TV show as much as it looks like a comedy. It definitely has a distinct lack of harsh contrast most of the time. Not that lack of contrast is necessarily a bad thing, but any of the shots that don't take place in a dark room or at night look like they could have been from Bridesmaids or Wedding Crashers or something. They just have that flat, even lighting that is so typical of comedies.
    I would also argue that this looks nothing at all like Transformers 3, because the characters in this don't look like they've been dipped in orange dye, or soaked in tea or something. ;) Though, the trailer is definitely VERY Transformers, as far as the edit and sound go. I dunno, I'm sure I'll check it out at some point, but nothing about it has me very excited at the moment.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I don't know why, and I have no good reason, but I am still not very interested in this.
  • SimonKJones
    edited February 2012
    I don't think holding up Transformers' cinematography as the pinnacle is a great idea. It's technically very accomplished, obviously, but the whole thing looks like a car commercial. Which is part of why those films are very dull and uninvolving, even when amazing things are happening on screen.
    It also saddens me a bit that people are calling the flying snake thing at the end 'Transformers snake', rather than 'Shadow of the Colossus snake'...but that's what happens when Transformers makes a bjillion dollars and only 2 people play SotC.
    This film looks increasingly fantastic to me. Really hope it delivers.
  • NullUnit

I don't think holding up Transformers' cinematography as the pinnacle is a great idea. It's technically very accomplished, obviously, but the whole thing looks like a car commercial. Which is part of why those films are very dull and uninvolving, even when amazing things are happening on screen.
    It also saddens me a bit that people are calling the flying snake thing at the end 'Transformers snake', rather than 'Shadow of the Colossus snake'...but that's what happens when Transformers makes a bjillion dollars and only 2 people play SotC.
    Well, at least no one is calling it a Dragon Wars snake!
  • NullUnit

The same. Meh. Uninspired and boring, with a cringe-worthy 'overserious' silly-looking feel to it all.
    I dunno, just don't at all care for this. Looks bad.
    I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie and I also find the "cringe-worthy 'overserious' silly-looking feel" to be a problem in every "serious" super hero movie ever made. I'm looking at you Batman. And I love superhero movies.

• It also saddens me a bit that people are calling the flying snake thing at the end 'Transformers snake', rather than 'Shadow of the Colossus snake'...but that's what happens when Transformers makes a bjillion dollars and only 2 people play SotC.
    Probably, imo, the greatest game to date.
    I think they've nailed the trailer, I hope the film holds up. Us UK film goers getting it a week early is a nice novelty!
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Posts: 442 Just Starting Out*

Us UK film goers getting it a week early is a nice novelty!
    definitely not fair :dry: but i guess its payback for all the other films we get first. :P
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 378 Enthusiast
    It takes literally so little to make this massively better, it's not even funny. You can't change the fundamentals of generic, untalented lighting or lensing- or cheap-looking costuming and production value- but a little contrast and letterboxing can go a long way.
    I had to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25asvVYHWyA
  • SimonKJones
    edited March 2012
    Looks like the same trailer with annoying letterbox bars on to me, but hey. :)
    Do you have problems with all films made before Oh Brother Where Art Thou and digital colour tweaking? I'm slightly perplexed by the "high contrast and high saturation or nothing" attitude. Fair enough if you like that style - I quite like it, too, when done nicely - but at the exclusion of all else? Seems a bit odd, to me.
    As for the 'overly serious' aspect - that's precisely why I like the Marvel superhero movies. Tonally I've always found them very entertaining, taking their own fiction seriously without taking themselves too seriously - much like JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie.
  • while I dont really know anything about film making I wonder if the brighter cleaner colours are to give the look of the comic books of late 60s and early 70s when the Avengers were formed.
    The costumes look ok for me but maybe its because when I was growing up the hulk was just a bloke who was painted green with ripped jeans.
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Posts: 151
    No different to me apart from a lot of detail has been lost through the high contrast, I could barely make out Thor in the Iron man fight. This contrast issue is really not a problem to me but, each to their own.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited March 2012
    Maybe if Atom takes some black electrical tape along when he goes to see this, he can letterboxed his 3D glasses and enjoy the film as much as the rest of us.
    To be fair, I enjoyed the trailer just as much with letterboxing and more contrast.
  • KahvehRobinett
    KahvehRobinett Posts: 442 Just Starting Out*
    edited March 2012
    That trailer totally changed any doubts I had about this film, this is going to be a amazing movie.
  • NullUnit
    edited March 2012

It takes literally so little to make this massively better, it's not even funny. You can't change the fundamentals of generic, untalented lighting or lensing- or cheap-looking costuming and production value- but a little contrast and letterboxing can go a long way.
    I had to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25asvVYHWyA
    Well, the trailer looks darker now and its letter boxed, but I'm not sure how that makes it better? People have their personal preferences, but calling the production unprofessional is hyperbole, to say the least.
  • Darren
    Darren Maui, HawaiiPosts: 164 Enthusiast
  • fredclips
    fredclips Posts: 228
    Took the kids to see this today. I really enjoyed it. Easily the best of these Mavel movies so far.
    At least you get to see the heroes being heroes. Most the other movies seem to lack something for their final scenes. No problem like that here!
    It is what it is... Good fun.
    I didn't even notice the lack of contrast and letterboxing! :)
  • NuttyBanana
    NuttyBanana Posts: 151
    I have tickets booked for tomorrow afternoon and I'm counting down the time. I don't think I've been this hyped about a film in a long time, plus the amazing reviews so far are very encouraging.
  • jawajohnny
    jawajohnny Posts: 143
    edited April 2012
    Ah you lucky ducks! Does it open earlier overseas or something?
    Doesn't open until May 4th here in the states. :(
    I'm really surprised by how outstanding the reviews have been. It's still early, but right now the tomatometer is at 97%.
    Looks like Whedon's knocked it out of the park.