Hyperzoom

StephansBilderwelt
StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

Very impressive. In an interview his has spoken about it, but he don´t want to tell how he does it exactly, just that he is working in After effects. 

http://www.geofftompkinson.com

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited December 2015

In  the vid he produced in New York- sometimes the cars don't look real but they obviously are. Interesting techniques!

http://www.geofftompkinson.com/hyperlapse/

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,807 Ambassador

I've seen Hyperlapse tutorials. The basic technique is time-lapse. Say shooting one frame every ten seconds. The trick is moving the camera an equal distance between shots. You lay out and mark your canera positions in advance, then attach a laser pointer to the tripod for reference. 

The second key is focal point. Notice how most of the shots arc around a central focus element or move in a straight line. 

Third key is tons of stabilization to smooth the motion. This is where Hitfilm nit taking media larger than 4096x3192 hurts. Otherwise, most still cameras can shoot higher than 12 MP these days, and that guves extra edge data to avoid blank edges. 

So, principles are simple, but to do one of those arcing shots--moving the tripod, then reentering the focal object in 10 seconds requires precision skill! 

• StephansBilderwelt
    StephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 521 Just Starting Out*

Yes, he has spoken about the postproduction takes much more then the actual shooting. Also the shooting takes long. The interview is in German, so no need to post it here. 

• Har
    Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

I did some experiments with some very basic, short distance hyperlapse for a recent music video I did; I used an extremely slow Celestron telescope motor that pulled my camera shooting timelapse via a wireless intervalometer/remote, along a 2 foot long camera slider.

Triem23 explained, but was still kinda fun. 

• FilmTech
    FilmTech Website User Posts: 385 Enthusiast

Indy mogual had a video on hyperlapse