Suggestions For HitFilm 4 Pro

Sarasota
Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
edited August 2016 in General

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,288 Power User

Obviously you're a heavy audio guy. :-)

Might I suggest copying these suggestions to the Staff-run Wishlist thread? https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4432/the-wishlist-feature-requests-and-suggestions#latest

That Xmas/New Year's week is semi-downtime, and the devs regularly check the Wishlist. This should make certain they see your suggestions in case this thread gets buried while people are out of the office. :-) 

If you are PC, and Sony Vegas wasn't, sadly, end of life, currently missing HF4 integration I would sY look at that! Vegas always had the best audio tools of any NLE and can take a Hitfilm 2 or 3 Project File and treat it's Editor timeline as a video clip. And it has all your wishlist features. Sigh. 

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Triem23

Terry,

No need to apologize. The Wishlist thread should be one of the sticky threads in the forum, but it's not--that means it's not easy to spot when you're new.

Yeah, the audio background was obvious. Done my time in the recording studio, so, for myself, I'd also like to see most of your suggestions implemented. That said, audio has always been Hitfilm's weakest area, although HF 4 Pro actually adding in some audio FX helps (But, where's the compressor and limiter?!). Still, Hitfilm's audio end could use more improvement. Again, you have a lot of good suggestions there--some of the MTC and SMPTE synch will only be useful to a small percentage of the Hitfilm user base, but some basic recording-to-track functions and a dedicated Mixer panel would be welcome, indeed.

The new Doppler Shift effect in HF4 is a lot of fun--being able to hook a sound effect directly to a point and move it in 3D space is a lot easier to set up than the dedicated Doppler Shift plug-ins I have for my audio software. Check that one out.

Hitfilm's biggest audio issue is a simple thing--right now Hitfilm lacks audio-only export. The workaround here for you, since you'll be going back and forth between Hitfilm and other software, is to dump an mp4 (with mp3 audio) or an Uncompressed AVI (Windows) or Quicktime (Mac) for PCM audio. On the export screen you will have options to include or exclude audio and video from your exports--so uncheck VIDEO and export to the format of your choice. This will quickly output audio over black and you can use your other software to extract the audio.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Hitfilm. We're a friendly bunch around here.

Happy New Year,

Mike

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Har
    Har Posts: 399 Enthusiast

Sarasota

My own biggest HF audio-related function request remains one I've been begging for for a long time now, and would seem simple enough to implement but still isn't there yet: simply, the ability to see audio waveforms in the Composites instead of just the editor! Much of what I do requires tightly locking certain visual effects to audio cues, and through years of using Vegas (and various DAWs that have rudimentary video layer functionality in them like Sonar) I'd gotten used to the ease of lining up visual elements with specific points in the audio waveforms. In the meantime within HF I have to use various workarounds to achieve this.
    Fingers and eyes remaining crossed in hopes of it finally becoming available in future HF updates some day! 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

@Har - *LIKE* Being able to cue music and audio in an effective & efficient way would be awesome.

@Sarasota- I like your list too. Another audio guy here. HF is, in the end, a video compositor but I'd like to see their audio range expand a little more.....or at least allow some plugins if that's a cheaper route.

• Aidin
    Aidin Posts: 109

All I want is a normal speed control- no extra frames, moviemaker style xD an audio mixer would be great though. When I switched from Premiere to Hitfilm the mixer was one if the few things I missed, along with the ability to use multiple editing timelines, and have more than one window open.

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • StormyKnight

@Sarasota - Well, I was wowed by the couple of vids on the Reaper site. I'm a little behind on bringing my music production onto the computer. I do some music editing on computer but haven't fully explored the potential to form songs from scratch. I do have an older Roland digital studio and I'm curious if it would mesh with Reaper. It's an 8 channel recorder with tons of onboard effects. Has the standard MIDI in/out and even digital audio in/out. I would gather a synth with a 16 channel sequencer would probably hook into Reaper just fine. Would a MIDI to USB adaptor be the best way to connect?

I don't know if the devs would be interested in going this direction or not, but I like the idea immensely. If I could use a simple piano sound to play along with a video to create the soundtrack in one program it would be a dream come true. I'd feel like John Williams! lol With the timing worked out with just the piano sound I can always go back and orchestrate it any which way- or whatever is in my head at the time. 

You should pitch this idea to FXhome directly. You never know what could happen and the worst is a 'no'. Maybe you could develop a plugin if not fully integrated. It's something I would definitely be interested in. Hey, come tax time you'll probably get an order from me. I'm sold.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast
    edited January 2016

@StormyKnight A USB MIDI adapter is the way to go and Reaper supports Vegas EDL import and export. I remember seeing some stuff about a plugin that lets Reaper import the Roland project files too. The details are fuzzy I didn't pay much attention because I don't have a Roland studio but I'd say browsing the Reaper forums or the forums at VS Planet would turn up what you need.

If you don't already have one I would suggest a 2X2 USB audio interface too. PC audio is usually really noisy and since Microsoft axed support for true hardware based audio years back the on board stuff is really all software based now with higher latency and more resource intensive. Knowing a little about your shopping habits :) I'm sure you can find something good  at a great price. 

Most Interesting Man in the World Quote - "I don't use a DAW very often but when I do, it's Reaper"

• StormyKnight
    edited January 2016

Aladdin4d - Thanks for the info on the 2 X 2! I'll be sure to check out the info about the Roland files too. There's a company on eBay that has an adaptor for the Roland to computer link with both hardware and software but I can't afford $500.....which seems a little excessive to me. I would have headed there though eventually since everything I do now on the Roland can only be save as audio right now- digital audio to CD player/recorder. But seeing a less expensive way it's good to know I have other/new options. Woo-hoo! The Roland's external CD drive used to burn CDs direct from the Roland but mine cashed out a few years ago and they don't repair or make them anymore.....and it's a specific interface and configuration so it's not like there are hundreds of different models to choose from. All I can find are used CD burners online and there's no guarantee as to how long one will last and they are quite dated now. There's also no way of telling how much one has been used in the past so I view it as a high risk venture.

Okay- my shopping habits may be a little over the top to find the best deal. They wouldn't have to be if my company had given me any kind of raise in the last 10 years. Darn it, Aladdin4d, now you made me cry. lol

Reaper looks like a good solution to combine my external audio stuff i.e. vocals, synth, guitar with computer based sounds from Cubase and Garritan.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited January 2016

@Aidin - Good news! Speed controls were already added in HitFilm 4.

@Everybody else, there are some great suggestions here, thank you! Having a home studio myself, I can definitely see the benefits of more audio features, and that is definitely one of the areas the developers focused on when creating version 4.

• Har
    edited January 2016

StormyKnight - happily there's a good number of affordable, excellent quality USB audio interfaces out there to choose from, and these days the issues that used to plaque PC based recording like latency, resource impact, etc have pretty much become a thing of the past when using things like ASIO drivers, etc that have been around for a long time now.
    I've been using a Roland Quad-Capture as my primary USB audio/MIDI interface for some years now usually recording at 24/48 (though I could go up to 24/192 if I wanted, and have on occasion) with extremely low latency and noise. There's many other excellent ones available as well by Focusrite and others, and like with all such things everyone has their favorites, so doing some research online to see the various opinions on these things should help you find one that's perfect for you. 

• StormyKnight

@Har - Thanks Har! I did a quick price check on my favorite online resource [eBay] and they are quite reasonable. When I have a little more time I'll definitely check out specs and such.

@Everybody - Thanks for all the insight & suggestions!

@AxelWilkinson - Ummmm, Axel?...............clears throat...........*eh-em*.............(whispers)..............who's everybody? Their profile page reads WHOOPS! User not found. So who are you addressing?  ;^)

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff

@StormyKnight - if you don't know, then it isn't you. :P

• StormyKnight
    edited January 2016

@AxelWilkinson  - LOL. Touché. There are a lot of great suggestions though. I'm not sure but I think some of these things could really set HF further apart from other compositors and give it an edge over the competition. I know it all comes down to $ in the end and which direction is most plausible. FXhome, from what I can tell, is still dedicated to low customer cost and that alone has already set them (including you) apart. :^)     

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • StormyKnight

@Sarasota - Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to check that out. It'll be a little closer to tax time so I've already bookmarked this page.

Funny you bring up MOTU. I have their FreeStyle (?) software. It's an older program and I have a midi to USB box from MOTU - from about 15 years ago. I have since upgraded to Finale 2012- okay- I'm a little behind there too - tax time hopefully Finale 2015- but I haven't had the opportunity to play with it 'cause my old computer couldn't handle it and my new computer is plagued with OS problems (soon to be resolved). By the end of summer is my goal to get a home studio going again. It's been far too long since I've written any new music.

I'm guessing perhaps 8 to ten inputs/outputs should do it. Stereo mic setup, 2 synths, acoustic guitar input, stereo for an Emu Carnaval synth module, an effects processor (rack mount version) who's name and model escape me but it has a sweet really, really, really long digital delay and a couple of inputs for spare or expansion.

Would I be able to bus effects from the Roland VS-890 with the Reaper? Am I understanding that correctly?

Oh great- now I've got an earworm of BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper.

• Triem23

Hey, last time I played around requiring MIDI I was on Cakewalk. Heh. 

My Vegas/Sound Forge combo (including plug-ins) has handled all my DAW needs since 1999. Shrug. 

• Har
    edited January 2016

StormyKnight one thing to think about as far as number of inputs on the I/O is how many simultaneous inputs you'd actually need at any given time when recording. For example, if you were running all the hardware synth modules together at once via a sequencer along with live vocals, guitar etc, or recording a full live band, a large number of inputs that could then be routed to individual tracks in your DAW for clean track separation at mix later on. In which case, having more inputs available to you would definitely make a lot of sense.

Or on the other hand, if you tend (as I do) to record alone one instrument at a time, then one or two input channels (two when recording a stereo pair of course) like with a 2X2 I/O unit could also work nicely for you as well. (While another related option could be to use a hardware mixer to submix all of your hardware sound sources down to a single stereo pair going into a 2X2 I/O, you'd of course be essentially "baking" everything down to a stereo submix and lose the ability to make mix adjustments to the various individual instruments and/or vocals once recorded....that takes it back to where having a good number of input channels on the I/O makes much more sense. )

I'm not familiar with the Roland VS-890 itself, but have worked with someone in the past who used a different Roland hardware recording unit (I forget the exact model); it had S/PDIF digital I/O on it so we were able to cleanly send the tracks he'd previously recorded on the Roland into my DAW for mixing and mastering by simply hooking it straight into my Quad-Capture's own S/PDIF input with one cable. It wasn't a perfect solution of course as we could only transfer one track at a time, but for that particular project he only had a small number of tracks to work with so wasn't a big deal.

• Har
    edited January 2016

Triem23 - heh, lately I've been finding myself making a decent amount of use of MIDI once again after being away from it for a while, but usually mostly either for using my various keyboards and/or Akai pads to control software instruments (especially once I finally got an 88-key controller with a really nice wooden piano action - trying to play grand piano parts using a synth action keyboard totally sucks LOL), occasionally using my old wireless Frontier Tranzport DAW controller when recording vocals in my vocal booth which is a distance from my computer, or for using MIDI clock to sync up up BPMs on various hardware effect units, etc.

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Aladdin4d

@Sarasota there is actually a plugin out there just for importing Roland VS projects without having to resort to importing 2 channels at a time. There are some hurdles for Stormy to do that because his external Roland drive is shot but it's still doable. I'm not going to post all the details here because I don't want to muddy up this thread but he really can give his Roland a new lease on life without a big investment or a lot of work.

• FilmTech
    FilmTech Posts: 385 Enthusiast

I would like a rotobrush and a puppet tool the most

A few other minor things are- Warp stabilizer [just a quick button to press to stabilize your footage] and a quick 3d tracker [like in AE]

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Aladdin4d

Things like this:

http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Compact-Flash-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00EQVTYO2

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/44-Pin-Male-IDE-Card-Adapter/dp/B003MN1H9U/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451797476&sr=1-2&keywords=44+pin+IDE+to+SD+card

Are reported to work too instead of actual hard drives with the added bonus of letting one import VS projects without having to have a working external drive

• Har
    edited January 2016

Sarasota
    > I have a weighted Keyboard (the Ensoniq ZR76) and your right... It sucks  when playing fast synth leads on it.

Heh, I actually meant it the other way around: for me it sucks playing piano parts on a fast synth action keyboard. LOL ;-)  
    I have my old 76-key Korg N264 for when I want to play fast synth lines/leads, organ parts, etc (after playing numerous Korgs, Yamahas, Rolands, Oberheims and ARP synths through the 80's, I pared everything down to just that one unit for years), but being that I was formally trained on classical piano it just feels wrong for piano parts for me. 
    (Per M-Audio keyboards: I honestly have a strong dislike for them  in general - they feel cheap and plastic-y to my hands. Your Mileage May Vary, of course!)
    For piano parts, a few years ago after testing out the weighted 88-key piano actions on every single unit at the local GC I was pleasantly surprised to find that I kept coming back to the Casio Privia units and found I liked their feel way better than even the most expensive keyboards there...the old 80's stigma of Casios being "cheap toys" are long since gone. I finally decided on the Privia PX350...funny thing is, I now find myself flying around on that for fast synth leads as well, which I didn't expect! (the fact that it has a pitch wheel on an 88-key piano controller obviously is nice too).

I've seen those Ibanez SZ720's....beautiful guitars! 

Here's my current hardware gear list, if interested:
    Keys/Synths/Controllers: Korg N264, Casio Privia PX350, ancient Kurzweil MicroPiano module (for occasional rare live gigs), even more ancient vintage '80s Korg RK-100 remote MIDI controller (I hate the term "keytar" LOL), Akai MPD26 pad controller.

Things with Strings: 10-string Chapman Stick, Fender Strat, fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special, Schecter ATX C8, Schecter A7 FR/S, Schecter Tempest Blackjack, Schecter C/SH-12, Schecter Stiletto Studio 8, Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special, Ibanez SRFF805, Ibanez SR506, Hartke CK-4.

Rack Effects/Amps: TC M-One XL, TC M300, TC C300, ENGL E530 tube guitar preamp, ART Digital MPA II tube mic preamp, Presonus TubePre, Alesis Studio 12R rack mixer, Eden CXC210 bass combo amp.

Pedal Effects: ....yikes. LOL An insane number of units by Eventide, Strymon, Tech21, Catalinbread, Boss, Seymour Duncan, TC Electronic, Electro-Harmonix, Digitech, MXR, Ibanez, Hardwire and Morley. (You can tell I've done a lot of ambient stuff...pedals can really be a bad, bad addiction... LOL)

Oh!.......and the all-important Velvet Elvis painting. No studio should be without one. 

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Triem23

Oddly enough after the classical training the semi-weighted Kawai K-5000S became my preferred controller. Not as light as a spring-loaded axe, not as firm as something full-weight or hammer action. It was a good compromise.