Cool Stuff In My Stocking

duffman
duffman Posts: 234 Enthusiast

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I haven't been around much been so busy... I did get a couple of cool things in my stocking this year.  ICY Dock a USB 3, SATA II, hot swap hard drive station. As a system builder I have a ton of old HDs laying around. Had to turn on hot-swap in my BIOS then the thing worked great. Now I actually have a use for that stack of HDs in the corner. The other cool thing was a pair of Go-Vision Sunglasses. Will record up to 2 hours at 720. Only had a chance to test , does seem to get a nice picture. Have a gig coming up, intend to wear them on stage all night.  People think because the lights are down we can't see what they are doing from the stage....HEHEHE

Duff

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador
    edited December 2015

Long time no hear! What exactly is the ICY dock? Just curious. Have you been working on any vids lately?

You'll have to post some video from your gig so we can see what you saw!

Happy New Year!

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast

@StormyKnight It's probably one of these:

http://www.icydock.com/goods_cat.php?id=105

I have something similar I use all the time. One project per drive and when the project is done I pack the drive for storage. Never run out of storage and never have to take extra steps for archiving. 

• duffman

@StormyKnight Aladdin4 has the link right. I have the USB3 only.

Just tried with my iPad Pro. Can send music, pictures and videos to and from but no other data.

First little test of the Go-Vision Glasses:

Haven't had time to do much with vids. But that will be changing after the new year. Have great and safe new year!!

Duff

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Posts: 190 Enthusiast

Duff, what's the iPad pro like?

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

@duffman - That's awesome! Hands free, we see what you see. Pretty cool! It does appear to be a little faster than it should. Is that just due to a frame rate setting? Can the frame rate be changed? Guess it doesn't really matter 'cause HF can slow it down to look normal speed.

Caution: Objects in glasses may be closer than they appear. ;^)

I was trying to see you in the side mirror- no such luck. You didn't even look at the driver. Were you under orders not to? lol

• duffman

I spend  up the footage until  the speed sign. Was trying to make it a little more dramatic, after that it's running at normal speed.

iPad Pro..it's big. I can actually use it without my reading, cheater, glasses.  Has become a mobile office for me in my main business.  Pencil is a must if you do any type of design work.  Smart keyboard is a nice add on when I'm at home but, when in landscape mode there is so much screen most people will get by without it. Battery lasts a heck of a lot longer then my Air2.

In the studio has become a mobile control surface via TouchOSC.  Soon to be a mobile multitrack recording studio. I'm amazed at what it can handle. Draw backs?: The file system and it not allowing you to use an external drive for all data.... unless you jail break it. It's big.

HITFILM iOS? Yes please!

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Posts: 190 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

Thanks for response.

I've got an iPad 3rd gen (only 16mb memory lol) and I love it, but its struggling with the latest iOS update, especially with typing or selecting stuff (it reads the whole screen left to right regardless of where you touch it!). Battery life is rubbish now.

Plus I've love the larger real estate of the pro, just can't afford one.

edit: last question! How does the air compare to standard iPad?

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,580 Ambassador

Well, my wife finaly connected with my inner nerd, and brought me a cool Star Wars mug and a Star Wars trooper model. Plus other way more practical items.