Big News for Drone Industry: FAA Unwraps New Drone Rules

NEW YORK, Dec. 22, 2015 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- FAA unwraps drone rules for the holidays. Fearing as many as a million new drones might land under Christmas trees this year.FAA has announced a new regulation on drones. The Obama administration announced that all units weighing between 0.55 pounds and 50 pounds must be registered by February 19th, 2016. Anyone against this rule and caught flying will face still penalties and be even in jail for years.

DJI's latest drone- Phantom 3 has faced an crisis because it's overweight. FAA has bitterly confounded DJI's ambition. The cold winner for DJI is coming. Currently DJI has held 60% market share in the U.S. FAA adds up to a one - two punch that would stagger DJI.

FAA's new regulation will be effective on Dec. 21st and almost covers all the consumer drone on the market. All the drones weighing between 0.55 lbs and 50 lbs must be registered on FAA's official website. It's a nightmare for most of the drones like DJI. FAA offers unique registration number to approved submitters and those drone owners are required to paste or paint their own numbers on their drone.

FAA has the 0.55 pounds regulation because administration thought it's the bottleneck that drone companies would not breakthrough. To make a drone weighting under 226g is nearly possible.

But Onagofly surprised us with advanced drone technology from China. The Intelligent Onagofly drone is not only featured by its sophisticated performance moreover Onagofly has lowered its weight to the crazy 140g-nearly 0.3 lbs.

In this case FAA's newest regulation become invalid to Onagofly at the first moment it's coming out.

Onagofly is the most popular drone crowdfunding project since the day it launched on Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/onagofly-the-smart-nano-drone--2

Offical Website:  www.onagofly.com

Media Contact: Sam Tsu, Onagofly, 86-755-83284880, [email protected]

News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151221/317547

SOURCE Onagofly

Comments

• Most drones are over half a pound,  if you are over 13 years of age you need to register no a big deal if you do it in the first 30 days the faa will refund your 5 bucks  just go to  http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration, and do it you will get a # for your UAV you must put on the craft (in manned craft it's known as a tail number) If your being responsible to begin with no problem.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,899 Ambassador
    edited December 2015

Though this little gumby shows high promise, I would definitely look through the FAQ on their website.

The camera is not gimbaled -"ONAGOfly uses electronic method to achieve vibration reduction."   Which means the unit itself is the gimbal and would probably not fare well in a stiff wind.

And only 12 min. fly time while shooting video.

Still, pretty impressive.

• dagaffer
    dagaffer Posts: 58
    edited December 2015

While I purchased a yuneec Q500 4k I would consider the onago  drone for inside work based on size and collision detection.  I do not know the clearance perimeters for the detection however, so will it go down hallways?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,297 Power User

I enjoy you guys starting an actual conversation from a spam post! 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador
    edited December 2015

@dagaffer - It should. It only moves out of the way of what's in front of it.

• StormyKnight
    edited December 2015

@Triem23 - Might as well have fun with it. It actually was a little informative. I saw the join date as yesterday and with the apparent copy/paste repeats I figured it was spam anyway. I won't cry when it's taken down. At least now I'm aware of what type of drone to get to get around gov't regs....and not necessarily this one although it is impressive.

$250 for a drone, cam, controller etc. is well within my cheapskate price range. :^)

@Stargazer54 - There was one written comment in the video from a lady that said her husband flies his along the beech and it fares well through windy conditions. Don't know if it's accurate but I would guess stability can be maintained through the GPS and controller, and if the entire unit is like a floating gimble, I would think only strong winds 50+ mph would affect it's stability performance. I suppose it depends on how well it  triangulates if at all.

Oops- had to add this- Here in Racine, there was a drone that crashed right in the Batten Field airport. The owner of the drone (can't remember what brand) lived miles away and set the drone controls so it would return home automatically. When he released it, it just took off and when it ran out of power, crashed right in Batten Field. When it was recovered they found the coordinates were set for somewhere in Beijing, China! So apparently, after they sell 'em to us, they fly 'em home and sell 'em again! lol So remember to reset the coordinates on your drone before it just up and leaves you.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast

@StormyKnight and @Stargazer54 Farther down the technical FAQ it states "Can fly under wind scale force 2" so light breeze 4-7 mph.

@dagaffer It also says obstacle detection is 20 cm and the sensors are on the sides of the drone, none on top so it won't detect a ceiling.

• StormyKnight

Aladdin4d - Thanks for the correction! I'm trying to keep in mind this is a spam thread so it is funny how we just jumped right in like T23 pointed out.

• Aladdin4d

True but this drone is pretty interesting even so

• StormyKnight

Agreed. I love the follow feature. Along those lines, I've actually been considering the Soloshot 3 for $419.40. That would be my tax return treat and since all my friends keep copping out or have gotten different jobs and can't help me with camera operation- this would solve a huge problem.

https://shop.soloshot.com/

There- I spammed the spammer AND maintained the conversation. Is that impressive or what?

Yeah- or what.

• Aladdin4d

I've been looking at the Soloshot too I could really really use indoor tracking but right now that's only going to work with their cameras and a handful of others that I don't have one of but I keep hoping!

I think we've totally hijacked a spam bot thread now

• StormyKnight
    edited December 2015

@Aladdin4d - You have reason to keep hoping. Did you see this on their page? The last line should be of interest.

"Indoor Accessory

Drum roll... SOLOSHOT now works indoors! 

Connect the SOLOSHOTindoor accessory to an OpticX camera and the Base will track up to 100 ft. away - no line of sight required. Additional accessory required for 3rd party cameras (coming soon)."      

• Aladdin4d

I did see it but NONE of the cameras I have access to are supported :( As soon as it supports even one I'll probably buy it.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,297 Power User

I cannot justify buying a drone, soloshot, gopro... Sigh. 

• Aladdin4d

@Triem23 A compatible soloshot (or an equivalent) is one of the few things I can justify if it works well enough indoors it would pay for itself in one job.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,899 Ambassador

At any rate, the tech that is now available for robot cams and quad 'shoot and follow' systems is right out of SyFy.

I was flabbergasted today by my nephew's Star Wars BB-8 toy that actually is a little remote controlled ball with a head that "floats" on top just like the "real thing".   The mechanism inside that makes it work is no less amazing.

The T2 world of nearly autonomous drones and bots is already here.