Practical light saber effect

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,807 Ambassador

I was just about to do this post! 

Joey Shanks is awesome, and the history lesson is good for the kids. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,250 Staff

Pretty cool stuff! Especially the details about the flash handles used as props; I didn't know that.

In the commentary for ANH, they talk about how they used this process while filming, but it didn't really work, and they ended up having to rotoscope over all the blades anyway. I can't recall now if it was George or Dennis Muren that mentioned it. The above tests look pretty good, though, aside from all the blades being white.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,807 Ambassador

The amazing Mr. Shanks has the advantage of modern lights and WYSIWYG video! Plus, he was smart and set his tests in dark areas, not competing with set lighting. I bet if you gelled a light you could get colored blades. 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

@Triem23 - "I bet if you gelled a light you could get colored blades."

How would you compensate for any spill? I was thinking along the same lines but with a colored bulb. Spill again.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

@StormyKnight I'm not sure spill would be a problem. It might be too much but I'd want at least some to sell the effect of holding something emitting light. 

• Triem23
    edited December 2015

What Aladdin said. 

Besides, the 3M tape is way Way more reflective than skin!